longhorn vs. corriente

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
Just curious what the differences between longhorn and corriente cattle were. Thanks Kaneranch

Corrientes have been developed and raised almost solely for their use in rodeos. They have been developed for a certain size, growth rate, weight, and horn size/shape. Longhorns have more size, different horns, and more versatility. They have been developed for different purposes. You can find longhorns that fit into the mold of corrientes but there are so many other options with Longhorns that if you look in the right place you can find many different types of Longhorns.

On the topic of Corrientes, what do you do with "used" Corrientes? burgers? dog food? I've seen a few ads "used Corrientes" for sale but don't know what's their use after roping.
One of my neighbors claims he had a Corriente steer and it was very good and tasty (he has a commercial herd, doesn't deal with Corrientes) Any ideas? :?:

wtexasfam":2bf9qws5 said:
Any ideas? :?:

Breed them and sell the offspring to ropers. :) Most of them I know locally raise their own because of the expense in acquiring them.

I know a guy who breeds registered Corrientes and he leases alot of his bull and steer calves out for roping. Then he beefs them out after they are done roping.

I saw a herd of registerd Corriente cows and a a few bulls sell back in Septmeber at the B&C sale in Brookfield, Mo and was actually impressed at the size and depth of those cows. They were deep bodied and beefy. They actually reminded me of some of the older style Angus cattle that we used to have when I was a kid. They looked like they would have raised a good crossbred calf out of an Angus or Charolais bull.

I have 5 corriente cows on an angus bull that are very deep bodied. I well take some pics when the weather gets a little better. Kaneranch

kaneranch":y6semncx said:
I have 5 corriente cows on an angus bull that are very deep bodied. I well take some pics when the weather gets a little better. Kaneranch
More CAB :lol:
Sorry couldn,t resist.
Buddy of mine raises corriente and does very well as there is a big demand.
As far as longhorn it looks like you can go the beef route or the movie route (old original look, more like the corriente with long horns) Then there is always yard art.

Latest posts