Longhorn laboring difficulties

Help Support CattleToday:

Let's see here.... Tested pregnant in January, this is June, Longhorn cow, not much calving problems there. I would guess that you have a live, but hidden calf that should make an appearance in a day or two...

KMacGinley":64sv9xcj said:
Let's see here.... Tested pregnant in January, this is June, Longhorn cow, not much calving problems there. I would guess that you have a live, but hidden calf that should make an appearance in a day or two...
I hear you, have read this thread and just haven't been able to make sense of the whole scenario.....any update??? :?:

You know, I am a new and proud owner of 3 registered Longhorns and one of them is about to calf. I came here hoping to find some info but instead found posters who bash the ones asking for help by saying it "frustrates" them when people own animals without having the equipment or knowhow to care for them! My local experience is those who voice that kind of obnoxious and conceited attitude frequently inherited what they have from daddy or learned it the hard way a long time ago and don't have the courage to adthey that they, too, once, were new and learning....and didn't yet have or could not afford all the toys and tools available to some who are fortunate enough to own them...

My grandparents raised cattle without a squeeze chute for 50 years. They had to learn, some times the hard way. If you people aren't open to "newbies" who love animals and are trying to learn then you should close the board....you aren't serving anything but your own self high-headed worth. JMHO. :mad: :roll:

MandJTexas":2qorhr6l said:
You know, I am a new and proud owner of 3 registered Longhorns and one of them is about to calf. I came here hoping to find some info but instead found posters who bash the ones asking for help by saying it "frustrates" them when people own animals without having the equipment or knowhow to care for them! My local experience is those who voice that kind of obnoxious and conceited attitude frequently inherited what they have from daddy or learned it the hard way a long time ago and don't have the courage to adthey that they, too, once, were new and learning....and didn't yet have or could not afford all the toys and tools available to some who are fortunate enough to own them...

My grandparents raised cattle without a squeeze chute for 50 years. They had to learn, some times the hard way. If you people aren't open to "newbies" who love animals and are trying to learn then you should close the board....you aren't serving anything but your own self high-headed worth. JMHO. :mad: :roll:
:lol: :lol: what an introduction! :welcome: to the board. There are some really good folks here. Now relax, just take a deep breath and exhale slowly and count to 10. Ok, if ya wanna learn you are gonna have to grow you some skin and stick around a bit. ;-) if you'll go back and re-read the thread you will see that the most malicious post in it belongs to you.

:welcome: from New York As you spend more time on here, you will realize that there are many on this board that do not need help - they are here taking time to help others.
From your comments - you did not like MY comments. That's fine. But I stand firmly on the notion that it is the owners responsibility to be able to "handle" their animals in some way. It is irresponsible to have an animal that may need help (like in this case) and you are unable to control them to help them. It does not take expensive "equipment". You can have a few gates hung that you can "squeeze" the animal into control.
I did not have a "daddy" leave me any knowledge or "equipment" - I was born & raised in the city (Rhode Island). I learned the hard way. That's part of the reason I take time to help newbies - locally & here on the boards.
Even if an animal you own does not ever get sick - there are normal health management practices that require you to "control" the animal. But, if you have livestock, you must be prepared for them to need human help. This animal could have died if she had a dead calf in her & they were unable to assist her.
As it turned out, they DID have facilities - just "out of order" due to circumstances.
So, it sounds like YOU don't have facilities but DO have cattle. There are many on this board that would have CHEAP solutions to getting set up. I believe LH cattle require a little different work facilities due to their horns. If you don't have a way to control them now, wouldn't you feel awful if you saw your cow in labor and unable to have her baby without some help? If you are new to cattle, I would suggest contacting a vet in your area and get acquainted. No matter how much knowledge we have, from time to time we need professional help - and it's best not to NEED their help before you make contact with one.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":nvsho4wg said:
:welcome: from New York As you spend more time on here, you will realize that there are many on this board that do not need help - they are here taking time to help others.
From your comments - you did not like MY comments. That's fine. But I stand firmly on the notion that it is the owners responsibility to be able to "handle" their animals in some way. It is irresponsible to have an animal that may need help (like in this case) and you are unable to control them to help them. It does not take expensive "equipment". You can have a few gates hung that you can "squeeze" the animal into control.
I did not have a "daddy" leave me any knowledge or "equipment" - I was born & raised in the city (Rhode Island). I learned the hard way. That's part of the reason I take time to help newbies - locally & here on the boards.
Even if an animal you own does not ever get sick - there are normal health management practices that require you to "control" the animal. But, if you have livestock, you must be prepared for them to need human help. This animal could have died if she had a dead calf in her & they were unable to assist her.

Fair enough. Like you said they had equipment but you found out after making the stsement you did assuming they didn't.

I also have equipment which I purchased after we redid all our fences BEFORE we bought the cattle...so you assume wrong again. With all the caps in your post, looks like you should take the advice of the moderator and grow yourself some skin.

I was looking for info on early calving signs and rN across your board. I looks like a good one. But newcomers will not ask what they might need to know to help an animal if they think they are going to get attacked in the open like you did. There was no need for your opinion in your reply if you just intended to help.

Sorry for the rant....guess you can tell I am too darn independent. I know I am....you guys have a good board going. Thanks.

As it turned out, they DID have facilities - just "out of order" due to circumstances.
So, it sounds like YOU don't have facilities but DO have cattle. There are many on this board that would have CHEAP solutions to getting set up. I believe LH cattle require a little different work facilities due to their horns. If you don't have a way to control them now, wouldn't you feel awful if you saw your cow in labor and unable to have her baby without some help? If you are new to cattle, I would suggest contacting a vet in your area and get acquainted. No matter how much knowledge we have, from time to time we need professional help - and it's best not to NEED their help before you make contact with one.

Yeah, and I'm thin skinned!!!
I put things in caps to get a point across. I'm not the least bit upset. Just making a point. We are here to help ---- and get help when we need it.
Join in & enjoy. You did things the right way - good for you, we got a smart newbie and that makes it easier for us to help out. And remember, many of us have "known" each other for a long time & what you may think is being nasty - most likely is good clean fun.
Also, words on paper don't always come across the way the poster meant them. The original poster was not offended.
Again :welcome: and feel free to ask questions. I sure don't have all the answers, but we have a very varied group of posters - someone usually can help. You just have to learn to "sift" through the answers.

MandJTexas":fzwbkq6p said:

Do a search for "Medina Gate" you might find something that will work for you...........and calm down a little you'll live longer. :mrgreen:

3waycross":5sqpz1go said:
MandJTexas":5sqpz1go said:

Do a search for "Medina Gate" you might find something that will work for you...........and calm down a little you'll live longer. :mrgreen:

Welcome to the Board! Please remember that the majority of posters here are honest and sane and try to help. A few others let their candor & sarcasm show and that's just their personality. A very limited number of posters have an ax to grind. You just need to keep reading and separate the wheat from the chaf! LOL!

That said, check out our website to see many photos of our facilities, the medina hinge set up, and our cattle.

Welcome from me too. We were also new to cattle and the first thing we did was put in a cattle crush (squeeze chute) a hydraulic one that is great. It means I can do everything with the herd that I want by myself if I need to, with me being the only one here.

I often wonder if some people would buy an elephant without learning about them first. I know people buy horses, cats, dogs and cattle without learning first.

I find all this sifting of information very ironic, usually all the good honest info from the people doing this for a living gets disregarded and the info from those who asked the same beginners questions a few months ago is seen as gospel.

Not too long ago was I in the middle of an argument from someone who went from complete novice to a complete expert in two years time, sadly in that case I've spent countless hours to try and help him when no-one else bothered anymore.

KNERSIE":3380r3b7 said:
I find all this sifting of information very ironic, usually all the good honest info from the people doing this for a living gets disregarded and the info from those who asked the same beginners questions a few months ago is seen as gospel.

Not too long ago was I in the middle of an argument from someone who went from complete novice to a complete expert in two years time, sadly in that case I've spent countless hours to try and help him when no-one else bothered anymore.
Are you talking about me again?

KNERSIE":jzp2kvr8 said:

:shock: you mean there are people on here who actually own cows? Like more than one? He!! I'm in my high rise apartment in NYC. I thought this was all just a dream we all had based off John Wayne movies. :lol:

Everyone has to start somewhere. Whether they are born into a family with cattle or whether they made a tree change like we did.

The way people go about it is completely different. I like to learn from other people's mistakes rather than my own. TOUCHWOOD! So far 50 live calves in the last 2 season. No assistance, no twins.

We are going into our 8th year. We had mentors, we learned onsite. We mainly learned who to listen to and who not to. When you first start you are not able to know that, as everyone has more experience than you and everyone says to do something different.

There is plenty to learn on the net and in books as well. But nothing like the real thing in real life.

KNERSIE":e88b0blx said:

but my title says"guru" so i must be one.

dun":10l7s3h1 said:
KNERSIE":10l7s3h1 said:

Are you talking about me again?

No, I think you can get by with a refresher course from time to time.... ;-)