LongHorn or Corriente have smaller birth weight

Help Support CattleToday:

These are weaning weights, and sale prices on 4 half LH calves I sold a few weeks ago. Admittedly, they weighed less, and sold for less than the rest of my spring calves. On today's prices, I conservatively think I lost $100 a head by going that direction. I will generally keep 20 heifers. That means it cost me about $2000 to use a LH bull on heifers. $2000 is a lot of money to a poor boy. I also bought the bull for slaughter price, and sold him for slaughter price. He essentially cost me nothing to own. I also slept like a fat baby while they were calving. They say you can't put a price on happiness. Come to find out it's about $2000. Im not going to say these are "premium" heifers. They are hand raised here and know the ropes. They fit in with what I'm trying to accomplish, and I'm tickled to death that they are all back for another year. We hash out this discussion a couple of times a year, and I see both sides of the issue. Personally, I don't have the time, or inclination to AI 20 heifers. I also can't go out and buy an 18 month old bull with no guarantee that he truely is calving ease (besides some numbers on a piece of paper). The harder I work, the more money I make. That's just simple math. Riding around the pasture checking on heifers don't pay real good. I figure, when you put it all together, this way works better for me, and pays better in the long run.

Bigfoot":2y4dnppn said:
These are weaning weights, and sale prices on 4 half LH calves I sold a few weeks ago. Admittedly, they weighed less, and sold for less than the rest of my spring calves. On today's prices, I conservatively think I lost $100 a head by going that direction. I will generally keep 20 heifers. That means it cost me about $2000 to use a LH bull on heifers. $2000 is a lot of money to a poor boy. I also bought the bull for slaughter price, and sold him for slaughter price. He essentially cost me nothing to own. I also slept like a fat baby while they were calving. They say you can't put a price on happiness. Come to find out it's about $2000. Im not going to say these are "premium" heifers. They are hand raised here and know the ropes. They fit in with what I'm trying to accomplish, and I'm tickled to death that they are all back for another year. We hash out this discussion a couple of times a year, and I see both sides of the issue. Personally, I don't have the time, or inclination to AI 20 heifers. I also can't go out and buy an 18 month old bull with no guarantee that he truely is calving ease (besides some numbers on a piece of paper). The harder I work, the more money I make. That's just simple math. Riding around the pasture checking on heifers don't pay real good. I figure, when you put it all together, this way works better for me, and pays better in the long run.

Exactly.

Bigfoot":tk4882mj said:

Yep. I'd say a dime a lb back ain't bad for a piece of mind. Were they all black hided?

RanchMan90":26e04e7d said:
Bigfoot":26e04e7d said:

Yep. I'd say a dime a lb back ain't bad for a piece of mind. Were they all black hided?

I think the 112 cwt was red.