Longhorn Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

frieghttrain":323za9g6 said:
He'll do the job. How old is he?

I honestly don't know. He is smaller than he should be for his age. Like I say, he's the stereotypical LH.

I've finally got a calf on the ground for this year. I had to change bulls out from Charolais to Saler. I've gone the Saler route before, and although they are beefy calves, the spots don't get knocked off.

heifer calf out of a 6 year old LH(X) cow and a Saler bull

crossbredcalves":3sj11iby said:
heifer calf out of a 6 year old LH(X) cow and a Saler bull

What a pretty cow!! I love the 'shading' around the red.

Bigfoot":3sj11iby said:
Dab of Mexican fighting bull.

Did he get a little feisty with you? He looks like a Corriente from the front. He'll give you calves and that counts for something.

Naw, he's gentle. You can touch him while he's eating, and he comes straight to feed. I don't think he'll give any trouble.

Thank y'all for the compliments. She's a pretty good cow. This is my 2nd calf out of her. She's good unless you get her penned up and put the pressure on her. Then, she jumps out. As long as she sees a way out, she is fine, so I purposely don't pressure her when I have to work them.

More out of convenience. My Charolais bull got to where he wouldn't stay home, so he had to go. I had cows that I knew would be coming in heat within a short period of time, and my vet offered a Saler bull for free. I plan on going back to Charolais next season. I have no complaints against the Saler except not knocking the chrome off as well.

That'll be a trophy skull someday. Just realized, he had his bull from last year butchered in the fall. I don't think he kept the skull.

I had two more calves yesterday. One is out of a spotted, brindle Longhorn cow. The calf is a heifer, red with a little white on her navel. The other cow is hard to explain. I bought her off a farm that had Longhorn cows. He ran 4 bulls; 2 Longhorns, a beefmaster, and a black. She's yellow with some brindling and a white face and underbelly. The best part is that she raises great calves. She had a solid red heifer.

A guy around here has some mixed color Longhorns and runs Charolais bulls. Most of the calves are cream white and they seem to grow fairly well. The Longhorn cows seem to bring plenty around here.

Have any of you guys ever heard of a Texas Longhorn composite breed? I wonder if instead of Taurus/Indicus cross one could use Longhorns instead? For example Charolais bull to TL cow, the F1 back to LH, the 3/4 LH Heifer back to pure Charolais, this will result in a composite that has 5/8th Charolais and 3/8th LH, I know long ears get docked because brahman beef wont grade, but I know for a fact that LH can marble when finished on corn.

A composite breed was developed by Prof Jan Bonsma using the Longhorn crossed to Salers, called the Salorn, there does not seem to be many breeders, not sure what the advantages and disadvantages are though.

Andybob2":1n1qgl7w said:
A composite breed was developed by Prof Jan Bonsma using the Longhorn crossed to Salers, called the Salorn, there does not seem to be many breeders, not sure what the advantages and disadvantages are though.

I would guess that LH would bring about the same heat tolerance and hardy nature of Brahman but on a taurine background, I believe it's lack of proper marketing, starting with a good catchy name and based on a popular beef breed, Black and black baldies sell by themselves down here.. :cboy:

Little update on these heifers first calves I've been out of town a week and a half, and they had grown noticeably to me anyway:

Latest posts