long horn questions

Help Support CattleToday:

mustangkoda

Reaction score
hi,

i was at my sister's wedding in texas this weekend and saw my first long horn. i have a few questions on care of a steer. i've had horses for 18 yrs and would like to add a long horn steer. it won't be used for breeding so i figure a steer would be better (just a pet). i live in NY so:

a) would it do ok living in cold winters?
b) would it be ok being the only one or should i get 2?
c) how big of a fenced in area does it need?
d) is there a book for care of steers that i can get my hands on?

it will be a couple of years before i can get one. but i would like to know as much as i can before i do, or if i would not be able to get one because of limited space. we have about 10 acres and already have horses. i can rip out some trees to make a small correl and shed for it, but i need to know if it's possible. thanks

a) yes... there are many longhorns in the north and even up into canada
b)it would probably be 'okay' with one... but since cattle are herd animals it would probably do better with two
c) i'm not good with exact area sizes, but enough for it to get plenty of excercise... i would say atleast a couple of acres... many people do run them with horses
d)any cattle book would work... they would have the basics of care for cattle... i cant remember the names of any, but i have heard of some mentioned on the boards here.

i would say it is definantly possible for your area and i wish you good luck with your endeavor.

Ryan

thanks for answering, i'll check out the bookstore and see what i can find. and a big duh to me, i work in a book store! :roll:

warpaint":2fcptwb3 said:
Your local Ag office will have literature availible.

True, but probably very little about Longhorns!

Contact the two major Longhorn Associations: International Texas Longhorn Association (ITLA), and Texas Longhorn Breeders Association of America (TLBAA). They have links, publications, and other info. Just search these associations on your browser.

Longhorns are found world-wide in nearly every climate. Very hardy and adaptable. With ANY livestock it is always best to get a minimum of TWO so they can pair up with a buddy of their own: social, emotional, "safety", and other reasons common with "prey" animals.

Best of wishes!

Latest posts