lock jaw in cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hey I have a question for all you cattlemen and women. I own a farm that is set up for horses and cattle. I have been renting it out for about a year now with several people bringing animals in from time to time. My question is I had a lady bring some bottle calves out the other day (that she bought cheap) and one of them has a large knot on its jaw. Could this be lock jaw? I don't know anything about what it looks like if a calf has it. I just don't want the other cattle to pick it up that are out there.

Thanks for your time!

Sounds more like an abscess or something.

tetanus-(lock jaw):The reflexes increase in intensity, and the animal is easily excited into more violent, general spasms by sudden movement or noise. Spasms of head muscles cause difficulty in prehension and mastication of food, hence the common name, lockjaw . In horses, the ears are erect, the tail stiff and extended, the anterior nares dilated, and the third eyelid prolapsed. Walking, turning, and backing are difficult. Spasms of the neck and back muscles cause extension of the head and neck, while stiffness of the leg muscles causes the animal to assume a "sawhorse" stance. Sweating is common. General spasms disturb circulation and respiration, which results in increased heart rate, rapid breathing, and congestion of mucous membranes.

It could be an abcess , take a needle and draw some into a syringe , if it is like puss you can cut it and clean it out , if it's hard and nothing comes out , talk to the vet and see what he says . If it is an abcess it shouldn' be contagious to the other cattle .

Latest posts