Loading up tame cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith

Reaction score
It turns out you can make your calves too tame...
This must be the quietest group of calves I've raised yet - they come through the vet race twice a week for an oral drench, so they're accustomed to close handling and I thought they'd walk easily onto the loading race.
I was right. The problem is, they walked easily onto the ramp then stood there and didn't move, while any calves that had already reached the truck pen would look out the door and come back down.

I've had way worse rodeos with wild cattle that won't even see the entrance to the loading ramp, but this took much longer than it oughter have done and I woke up this morning trying to figure out how I got old over night and like... oh yeah, I learned yesterday that I don't have the strength to physically shove a nine month old calf up a loading ramp. The truck driver who was at least twice my size was learning much the same.
Without the hotshot (which I had been about to tell the driver to put back in the cab when I saw it) and tail wrenching we'd still be trying to push them up that ramp.

There's been a few anti-tail wrenching articles in the papers recently. I can tell you that pushing, noise, slapping rumps; had no effect whatsoever at convincing these girls to take another step forward. One of them I was getting tempted to go and get a set of nose pullers and haul her up with those... even though it might have taken several minutes for her to figure out how nose pullers work and that she oughter follow them.

Any other methods of getting tame cows to move that don't cause sufficient pain to horrify a greenie? One of the truck drivers that used to pick up my calves always brought a plastic bag on a stick to rattle. It worked on those calves.

I think if we'd had the loading set-up I used at a former neighbour's last year there wouldn't have been any problem - the cattle walked down a long covered race to the ramp so there was no open space behind them to back up into. The whole herd was very relaxed and fast loading through that set-up when I moved farms.

To the truck driver's credit, he did not lose his temper and did possess some cattle sense.
I've loaded cattle alongside truck drivers who have the 'magic touch' as well as some drivers that the cattle just look at and run away in fear from them. You never know who might turn up with the truck, and it can make all the difference to how well the cattle load.

My halter cattle freeze up like that also! :mad: It is maddening, because there is no way an 1800 ld cow is going to move if she don't want too! (This is in the alley to the chute, never into the trailer. They jump right in the trailer.) I will usually try to entice them by putting a halter on and some grain first. Sadly there are times I am forced to resort to a hot shot. But with the older girls, all you need to do is barely touch them with it.
On the smaller ones, a butt rope helps. You can loop one around the lead calf and two people pull.

Thats how it was when i took t bone on his last ride. I picked up each foot and put it in the trailer. Then at the butchers ended up using a hotshot . The other bottle calves get more skiddish after they come off the bottle and we leave them alone but he never did Even though we didnt baby him.

Every cow or calf on my place becomes an absolute pet. So I know what you are saying. I sent out some weaned calves on Monday. It is always a sad day but I tend to enjoy my days with Bovines more than I did my days with Homo sapiens.

Here is what I have found works for me.

1. The guy who hauls my feeders does the loading. They are more shy of him and he can run them into the trailer.

2. For my cows, I bought a Hot Shot. When they balk, I can move them with that and it eliminates hitting, slapping and twisting tails. There is no adverse effects of the Hot Shot that I can see.

Loaded ten empty cows today, they all walked up the ramp sweet as you could wish.
So even though it's not the best pen to load out of, it is the calves that made it hard.

Hi Inyati,
my main issue with the hotshot is when it's badly used. I don't think I've ever seen it used for loading calves before - the truck driver was mostly only using it on calves already on the ramp to move them forward. Using it in the pen doesn't do much more than terrify them... they either don't move or they shoot off in another direction that's nowhere near the loading ramp.
I'd rather not see it used at all on my cattle - most of the time the drivers use it out of habit when it isn't needed. On occasion it's the best solution to get the job done.

a hot shot is a useful tool in the hands of someone who has the good sense to use it as a tool.....what I see most often is the hot shot is not used until the cowboy is already agravatted and then it is over used causing more problems....

i have worked with people who would not use a hot shot ever....but those same people had a lot of broken tails in the herd....

which is more inhumane?

I don't have much trouble loading a trailer at home as my it sits at about 60 deg. from the pen with rear door and a gate making up the "c' side of the triangle.I also have a gate that swings around behind if necessary.When we built the loading ramp for trucks, we built it in" terraces" so it would not be so steep.Works well most of the time.

If you're not going to use a hotshot, which I'm not big on using either, and they are as calm as u say, put a halter on them and lead the first one or so with grain or some darn good hay. Have your truck driver behind the group with yourself leading the front. you get that first one moving forward you should have the rest following no problem.

I stood there five minutes with a steer I was weighing on a friends scale. calf came from my most docile female. Its was like he was playing me standing perfect so we couldn't move him or shut the scale door. When he finally did move, we found out we were trying to move an 1180# animal, no go

Latest posts