Cleaning up a Swimming Hole ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
We dug out a hill side spring last year and enjoyed the clear water and a sandy bottom. The year we have more rain and some green growth in the new swimming hole. Can you treat the water using pool products, or is there a better approach to having clear water?

If you want fish that will not be so good. And the green is a sign of nutrients getting in the water. Figure out where they came from.

Lots of products specifically for clearing up ponds, just need to determine what you're trying to clean up ( suspended mud particles, algae, decomposed plant matter, etc...) and pick the right product. It will also take time, depending on the size.

If it doesn't have any overflow there are several sprays you can use over water to control growth. Ask your extension agent because there are differences in some states.
If it has any overflow it really limits the use of anything.

Different than pool products?
Yeah, they're usually not chemicals. There are probiotics, muck "eaters", and things you can add to the water to bind to the particles making the water murky and then sink them. It just depends what exactly is making the water murky. If the pond is small enough, there are even filters you can use.

I have heard of aluminium sulphate being used to clear dams. Not sure if it for algae or just to help settle mud from murky water. I know it is cheap and most farm stores stock it around here.

Ken

I have heard of aluminium sulphate being used to clear dams. Not sure if it for algae or just to help settle mud from murky water. I know it is cheap and most farm stores stock it around here.

Ken

I think that is to clear water that is muddy. Something about the clay particles being suspended due to nutrient issues (phosphorus?). I don't know much about it but I did a turbidity test with my pond water in jars and alum cleared it up.