Loading areas

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
I've seen lots of topics posted about working alleys leading to head gates and chutes, but how do you have your load-out area set up?
We have a full-gate with partial slide trailer, would like to have the full gate open to load, but that creates a lot of room for cattle to turn back. Sliding gate isn't my favorite-seems a little narrow and not my preference to use.
Doing some "trailer training" for steers going to freezer camp (feeding in the trailer), but our previous success all went to hades quickly this morning when it mattered and they NEEDED to load.
Don't need anything super fancy, only processing 3 or 4 a year, but these I'm working now are PITAs.

I load thru the slide gate as it is about as wide as my alley. A problem on unlevel ground is keeping the slide gate open.

I have see people open the gate and loosely fasten it to the alley. Use a corral panel on the other side to create a fence. Run the animal(s) into the trailer and quickly unfasten it and close it.

I load thru the slide gate as it is about as wide as my alley. A problem on unlevel ground is keeping the slide gate open.

I have see people open the gate and loosely fasten it to the alley. Use a corral panel on the other side to create a fence. Run the animal(s) into the trailer and quickly unfasten it and close it.
Yep-tried that. The width of the back gate was enough room to turn around and we had a rodeo.
We may try digging a hole for the trailer tires for more of a flat walk-in instead of a jump up. Even though they're big steers, that step up is creating a hesitation point and that's where it goes south.

This is my "temporary" load out. The gate from the sweep closes inward to close off the alley to the chute. It is 10' wide and about 12' deep. Everything loads well except smaller calves. Once I go permanent build will build up a dirt mound to make it less of a step up into the trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_20230623_120516.jpg
    IMG_20230623_120516.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
This is my "temporary" load out. The gate from the sweep closes inward to close off the alley to the chute. It is 10' wide and about 12' deep. Everything loads well except smaller calves. Once I go permanent build will build up a dirt mound to make it less of a step up into the trailer.
If you try to load singles, do you have an issue with them turning around once they get into the 10'x12' area and running back for the alley? That's where we got stuck this morning. We tried each one alone, buddy system, they just ended up turning and plowing through the panels. We stopped before we ended up with steers or people damaged, rebooked slaughter with a very generous processor….

I run them through the sweep tub and pull the sweep gate with me. If one really doesn't want to load and gets back through the gate into the tub the critter can't get out of the now nearly closed tub. I can also pull the alley gate shut and they are stuck in the load out. Wild ones want to get on the trailer. Tame ones might require some tail twisting and crowding with the trailer gate. Haven't had one I couldn't load yet. Permanent load out will be 6'. These panels are only 5'6" and a little short for outlaws and renegades.

I load out through my head catch . Not ideal but works for us . We have to have a whole new coral and working chute . Hopefully calves will stay a good price and we can buy panels this fall . Considering welded pipe with metal pipe posts or heavy duty manufactured panels with wood posts .

Add a stout gate about 5 feet behind where the trailer is backed up. That way if they balk getting into the trailer, they will be in a confined area. It also gives you a small space for the last couple to stand while they wait for a spot if you are crowding them in.
I have three gates in the last 20' of my load out alley to keep something between me and the animals and to discourage turn arounds.

As mentioned, a trailer floor level load out area will make you feel stupid for not doing it years ago. I have a 7' wide alley and butterfly gates on the trailer. Back up, flop the trailer gates open and the cattle walk right in as it is one continuous surface. I load some at night. The trailer has interior lights. The light draws them in like moths because they have no fear going where they can see good.

HP, you are not far from me if you would like to take a small road trip and see my set up. It might give you some ideas.

I have a corral attached to a barn. I run what I am hauling from the corral to the barn. The barn has what I call a runway on the end. It's about 8' or so wide. The trailer gets parked at one end with the door swung open to the inside of the barn.

The cattle go into the runway. Once we are a little better than halfway down the runway i have a gate that I swing. They go in the trailer and I close the trailer door. It helps that the ground where I park the trailer allows the trailer floor and barn floor to be perfectly even. They walk straight from the barn right on the trailer.

I only had one cow that gave me trouble and went through the side of the barn instead of going in the trailer. She was shot shortly after.

You can see the 'runway' at the end of the barn in this pic past the cow.

IMG_2978.jpeg

Most of the time, I load directly from the alley &/or chute in the corrals. Just stick a bar behind them if they think about backing up. But y'all would be shocked how I load from the barn:ROFLMAO:. Remedial, rudimentary, rigged & non-OSHA approved. Barn was built in the 1930's. Tack room (using that term loosely) in the corner, by the 1000 lb. (each) sliding doors on one side. Small, probably 10' x 10' loading area or trap between the tack room, doors, and a small, paneled section of the barn. Back up the trailer between the barn doors and get 'em as snug as possible to the trailer. Open the trailer door, get the cows/calves/whatever in the trap and wait. They'll eventually go in because they have nowhere else to go. If it's just one or a couple, I'll set a bowl of cubes in the front of the trailer as bait. If they need encouragement and are close to getting in the trailer, I'll swing the door around and push 'em a bit. Sometimes they go right in. And sometimes, slower is still faster.

Coming off my sweep tube I have a short alley leading to the squeeze chute. In that alley is a side door that turns them into the load out which is the same width as the sliding door in the trailer. Load everything from calves to 2500lb bulls thru the sliding trailer door.

Dug out tire spots today-98 degrees and concrete clay🙄. At least there was a breeze and it was a little overcast.
I'm covering the clay with thin mats, just to keep it from being completely a suction pit if it ever rains again. Revamps and moved the squeeze chute to use the more reinforced alley area. Still going to do a lot of work having them eat in the trailer though….

Attachments

• C7EE81CA-0DF3-4F62-8284-210B3DF7D288.jpeg
    C7EE81CA-0DF3-4F62-8284-210B3DF7D288.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 533E062D-1AB0-4CF3-926E-31FEEEA56018.jpeg
    533E062D-1AB0-4CF3-926E-31FEEEA56018.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
Most of the time, I load directly from the alley &/or chute in the corrals. Just stick a bar behind them if they think about backing up. But y'all would be shocked how I load from the barn:ROFLMAO:. Remedial, rudimentary, rigged & non-OSHA approved. Barn was built in the 1930's. Tack room (using that term loosely) in the corner, by the 1000 lb. (each) sliding doors on one side. Small, probably 10' x 10' loading area or trap between the tack room, doors, and a small, paneled section of the barn. Back up the trailer between the barn doors and get 'em as snug as possible to the trailer. Open the trailer door, get the cows/calves/whatever in the trap and wait. They'll eventually go in because they have nowhere else to go. If it's just one or a couple, I'll set a bowl of cubes in the front of the trailer as bait. If they need encouragement and are close to getting in the trailer, I'll swing the door around and push 'em a bit. Sometimes they go right in. And sometimes, slower is still faster.
Neighbor loads in a barn hallway,it's definitely not OSHA approved. 😆

I load through a 4x30 walkway, it's between a 30 foot pen and the alleyway. I open a gate just before they bottleneck into the alleyway. I load through the swing gate of the trailer. Sometimes it take a couple pushes to get them to go in. I try to be as stress free about it as possible. Seems once they get torn up stuff gets broken.

I try to let them choose to get on the trailer. Works for 80% of them.

If I'm by myself, I have to be patient. Calves go right on the trailer, cows know I wont get rough with them, but eventually go in. If there is anyone else behind them the cows load up pretty good. I scatter corn all over the trailer floor and put a small pile on the front.

I load through a 4x30 walkway, it's between a 30 foot pen and the alleyway. I open a gate just before they bottleneck into the alleyway. I load through the swing gate of the trailer. Sometimes it take a couple pushes to get them to go in. I try to be as stress free about it as possible. Seems once they get torn up stuff gets broken.

If I'm by myself, I have to be patient. Calves go right on the trailer, cows know I wont get rough with them, but eventually go in. If there is anyone else behind them the cows load up pretty good. I scatter corn all over the trailer floor and put a small pile on the front.
I've decided that if I load by myself, it seems like "usually" all goes well. This was a case of making revisions that would have worked with really calm steers, or with those that didn't have a good "stop" button. The steer that messed it up balked, backed into the panels, then decided to try to go over them. It was all over at that point. I'm trying to provide good beef, stress-free-not bruised to high heaven.

Only pile

The only pile in my trailer came out the cow.
You're going on the trailerF9FC115F-5419-476F-A6AB-7B79E883362D.jpeg96F0C383-1C99-4567-B219-6244D6830482.jpeg

I despise loading out of a chute. If you insist on loading out of a chute in the interest of everybody's time, safety and stress level buy a good Hot Shot. A well timed and placed bump from that is far better than a stick whaling on them or trying to twist tails and chancing a broken arm. Start at the trailer and walk back down the line they should push forward as you go by.

If you want to load cattle the easy way build a spot just wide enough to get the back of the trailer in (8') and about the length of your trailer. Put a good gate at the back and a little better than halfway. In a perfect world as you swing it towards the trailer you can catch the edge of the trailer door with it. ( that obviously doesn't apply with butterfly doors) Load your box and shut the back. Use the gate and patience to push them up. When you reach the cut gate repeat the process overlapping the gate and door. Door to the inside. You can hold pressure and pinch them right on up in the trailer. Alternate the sides your gates swing from so you can work them progressively. Looking from the trailer end the final cut should hinge from the right.

I despise loading out of a chute. If you insist on loading out of a chute in the interest of everybody's time, safety and stress level buy a good Hot Shot. A well timed and placed bump from that is far better than a stick whaling on them or trying to twist tails and chancing a broken arm. Start at the trailer and walk back down the line they should push forward as you go by.

If you want to load cattle the easy way build a spot just wide enough to get the back of the trailer in (8') and about the length of your trailer. Put a good gate at the back and a little better than halfway. In a perfect world as you swing it towards the trailer you can catch the edge of the trailer door with it. ( that obviously doesn't apply with butterfly doors) Load your box and shut the back. Use the gate and patience to push them up. When you reach the cut gate repeat the process overlapping the gate and door. Door to the inside. You can hold pressure and pinch them right on up in the trailer. Alternate the sides your gates swing from so you can work them progressively. Looking from the trailer end the final cut should hinge from the right.
I like your alternating gate process, probably works great for multiples. I'm hoping the chute helps get the single facing the right direction the whole way into the trailer.

I load from a trailer width alley. I am a strong believer in having a corner or bend in this alley. If you were to count all the cows/calves, weaned calves, and yearlings there is around 300 head go down this alley every year.
The first picture cattle get pushed through this red gate and down the alley. They tend to move right along as they can't see the end. The second picture I am standing to the left of the alley in the corner. If I were loading the trailer would be further back and to the left. The trailer door swings to the right. I sloped where the trailer is parked so gravity holds the door open while loading. The silver gate swings to the left along the fence and is held open being hooked on to a short finish nail in such a manner to hold it open but is easy to release. The gate swings nearly to the trailer gate. If needed they can be brought together very quickly. As I said we load a lot of cows with this system including some which are fairly waspy. I also dug out where the trailer sits so it is a very small step up into the trailer. That does help with loading. I stopped the dug out so that when the trailer wheels hit that edge I am the proper distance back into the slot. That helps take the guess work out of am I back far enough. The post on the left side of the trailer has a red reflector which make a good target to use when backing in.
We have hauled out as many as 100 pairs in an afternoon loading 10-12 cows at a time in trailers. Loading cows single file through a chute would just slow the process too much for us.

P6283095.JPGP6283096.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts