Loading cattle from a corral ring?

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef, I've mentioned several times I don't have cows. You keep recommending overkill things I don't need. 600lb calves and 1300lb big dumb cows are totally different.

when a 600 lb calf rams that thing 20times non stop youll find out..do what ya want..wish i was sellin em to ya..cuz youll be buying alot of em
adios

Calhoun Farm":3q4nzzra said:
dieselbeef, I've mentioned several times I don't have cows. You keep recommending overkill things I don't need. 600lb calves and 1300lb big dumb cows are totally different.
I know what you mean.....But my calves do the most damage trying to escape. The older girls know it is no use. :)

What if you just built a fence "wing" from the problem gate, into pasture 5 at a 45 degree angle? I tried to attached another pic with my thought drawn in, but can't get Photobucket to work. Maybe build it to that "corner" in pasture 5, the black lines. I think that would make it a lot easier to get them through that gate.

Add a gate in between 4 and 5 up against the perimeter fence and open it a few days before you want to move cattle. Let them "get away" and you've got a strait shot to the barn. It's in a corner so it's easy to drive to and you can hold them up better that way. 4 is set up so that it's easier to put pressure on them to do something they don't want to do.

I have done what you're talking about several times and with the cheap panels but I do use a 8ft t-post with each panel.just use bailing wire and wire it to the panel n 3 spots but triple your wire. It all depends on your cattle and how calm they are.

M.Magis":28jcuk3i said:
What if you just built a fence "wing" from the problem gate, into pasture 5 at a 45 degree angle? I tried to attached another pic with my thought drawn in, but can't get Photobucket to work. Maybe build it to that "corner" in pasture 5, the black lines. I think that would make it a lot easier to get them through that gate.

After I saw his revised picture this was the first thing that I thought also. As a matter of fact I have got an almost I identical wing going into a lane like the one going from field 5 to the barn and it work's great.

Those look like what TSC sells. A waste of $$.
Most panel builders have a light panel, a medium panel and a best panel. Go medium and it might work ok for your lighter weights. You can plan on putting down at least three 8' tposts per panel on the outside to keep the panels in place and wire the panels to the teeposts GOOD!. Even 300# calves will try to crawl under, and once one picks it up, it's all over.

Hose clamps work good to anchor panels to T-post. I would turn #4 into a working pen and put a catch pen and load out chute by the road and barn. You might need to doctor a calf or something and by the barn is a good place to work.

Your barn is the best place to load out. Close to the road and I assume it's strong enough.
Use your panels to make a feeding area outside the lane. I wouldn't bother with those panel gates either. An occasional calf won't walk under the bar.

I have the same problem with cows that have really young calves. I fenced off 10 acres that ajoins the barn. My cows are used to rotational grazing so getting them into this paddock is 100%. Once in I mob graze them all the way to the barn. Before they know it they're in a 1/4 acre area with no where to go but the barn. This process may take two days.....depending on the grass it may take a week.

I've used the cheap light panels many times to load out of. I use T-posts to hold the panels down. I too like the heavier panels but if it is a truly temp setting then the light ones should be fine if you have gentle cattle. If you are going to leave this there then I would spend a little extra on the heavy panels since it won't be moving. We do like Hook and add a small alley to the trailer once they are caught. I've only had one light panel bent by a calf but my cows and calves are very calm. Feed is your friend when you are moving them. Feed a couple times before the date and I've always managed to catch mine. Good luck.

Yes our barn is close to the road, this is good and bad. To get cows in the barn to load we have to run them behind it (against road) Several times we've had stubborn cows jump the fence and end up in the road. Luckly we live off a county road with not alot of traffic. I was wanting to load them out in the pasture to take the chance of a lawsuit out of the equation. I'm wanting to do this cheap and I realize alot of the time cheap and good don't always go togather. To make the barn a better load out option we need to put up 6ft wire panels and 7ft posts. Then you just have to hope its enough.

Make up your mind. You keep telling everyone that you don't have cows but now you're telling us about your cows. That makes me think I see the problem and it's that you don't know cows or cattle or the diferance between them.

Calhoun Farm":317egprh said:
Yes our barn is close to the road, this is good and bad. To get cows in the barn to load we have to run them behind it (against road) Several times we've had stubborn cows jump the fence and end up in the road. Luckly we live off a county road with not alot of traffic. I was wanting to load them out in the pasture to take the chance of a lawsuit out of the equation. I'm wanting to do this cheap and I realize alot of the time cheap and good don't always go togather. To make the barn a better load out option we need to put up 6ft wire panels and 7ft posts. Then you just have to hope its enough.

That's a basic infrastructure problem and one well worth addressing. It looks like you got some potential grazing areas close to your barn. If you have a paddock with good grass close enough then the cows should catch themselves.

cow pollinater":2289keeg said:
Make up your mind. You keep telling everyone that you don't have cows but now you're telling us about your cows. That makes me think I see the problem and it's that you don't know cows or cattle or the diferance between them.

We used to have 40 momma cows, sold all but 1. We now raise stockers. Sorry didn't realize you needed to know my life history.

. Sorry didn't realize you needed to know my life history.[/quote]

this from the guy asking for advice...sorry didnt realize you already knew it all :deadhorse:

Why is it on every type of forum you always have the guys who think they more than anyone? Majority of them all have little man syndrome too. Thanks for derailing my topic.

Latest posts