Loading Individual Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

the step up usually isn't that big a deal.. i've heard that "In the old days" they loaded them onto 5 ton trucks with no chute!

A couple railway ties as an intermediate step could help though.. some stout pallets would be a second option for smaller animals

If you make a dirt ramp where they dn't have to jump, it will go a lot better with all classes of cattle especially baby calves. .

My set up is with a swing gate about 4 ' off the end of the load out. I can swing it into their butt to give them a little encouragement. It kind of works like vett's idea where you confine their space to make the big space in the trailer looks more inviting.

I have a gooseneck hitch on my tractors 3 pt hitch and just lift the front of the trailer up. I don't drive my trucks around my cows, I have the crushed passenger side bed to remind me why.

True Grit Farms":1ghff8f0 said:
I have a gooseneck hitch on my tractors 3 pt hitch and just lift the front of the trailer up. I don't drive my trucks around my cows, I have the crushed passenger side bed to remind me why.

Had one of my Brahman cows spook the other day. Still not sure why. She done a 180 and hit the front driver fender with her azz. Didn't bust the light or hurt the hood but the fender is screwed.

JMJ Farms":30mcii30 said:
True Grit Farms":30mcii30 said:

Had one of my Brahman cows spook the other day. Still not sure why. She done a 180 and hit the front driver fender with her azz. Didn't bust the light or hurt the hood but the fender is screwed.
I was sorting as I was loading and one wanted to go back where it came from. A cow can tear some stuff up without even trying. I can't imagine the damage a bull that wanted to kill you could do.

True Grit Farms":1l5ga6vh said:
JMJ Farms":1l5ga6vh said:
True Grit Farms":1l5ga6vh said:

I was sorting as I was loading and one wanted to go back where it came from. A cow can tear some stuff up without even trying. I can't imagine the damage a bull that wanted to kill you could do.

I don't won't to find out first hand but I would imagine a lot. I've gotten rid of everything that's ill tempered except for one cow. She will catch the wagon to town this fall. She's a headhunter. She's either gonna load one more time or she's gonna get a hot lead injection. Ain't nothing gonna have an attitude on my place but me! The Brahman cow that demolished my fender is a big ole baby. But when I drove by her something spooked her. Never done it before. But she made a mess. I like her but I hope she was sore for a few days :lol2:

I had an alley just as wide as the trailer. It was about 40 feet long with a 90 degree corner in it and 3 gates. Gate #1 was at the entrance. Gate #2 was at the corner. Gate #3 was just shy of the trailer. I could take it slow and just move them ahead one gate at a time. That is how I worked groups. I have always believed in not raising your voice or dust when handling cattle. The one exception to that is loading a single. I get on their tail with hot shot in hand. Start them moving and keep them moving. Having a good slam latch on the trailer helps.

A word of caution.

Never let your attention span down when loading animals. Last July I was loading my Brangus bull to take to the vet. He had a piece of electric fence wrapped around his hind leg and it was infected. This bull was very gentle and I've never had problems working him. I ran him down the chute and even knowing better I followed him with a hot shot in hand. When he jumped in the trailer, he decided he didn't want in there and turned and came back to meet me head on in the chute. The hot shot would not convince him to back up and finally I jumped up on the pipe fence. Can't climb fast because of two artificial knees. He darted behind me and stopped like a cork in a bottle. We both did not fit the width of the chute. He dug in like a QB and pushed thru rolling me on the pipe. Wound up with a broken rt leg and two crushed calves. This has been a long year recovering at my age (73). I am very fortunate to be able to relate this incident, because if I was not able to jump up on the bars my pelvis and innards would have been crushed. I cannot even describe how fast this happened. Your life does flash before you. Luckily, I had my grandson with me to get me out of the chute.
I shipped the bull soon after and was surprised that he weighed 1950#.
My point is after all these years handling cattle, I made a simple mistake that I'm sure many of you have made and it damn near killed me. THINK before you act.

I have a bull that I dread loading. Not a mean bone in his body but he will walk to the opening of the trailer and stop. I've held the hot shot on him, and he just hunkers up and quivers.. I've beat the tar out of him with a sorting stick, and he just takes the abuse.. I've been on the verge of giving him a load of bird shot many times, but finally for no apparent reason he calmly steps on the trailer.

This is the one reason that we are thankful that we rent many different places, and that the animals have to be trailered to and from them. The calves all learn pretty young that going on the trailer with mom is no big deal. There are always a few that balk at it, but usually will go on pretty quick.

For the replacement heifers we keep, going on a trailer just means getting to go to someplace with more grass. And the bulls all know that getting on the trailer means they are going to pasture to see the girls. Our main loading chute/alley is the width of the trailer and the back wheels drop down in the dirt in depressions that makes it not more than a few inches to step up in the trailer. There are 2 gates in the alley so that they can only go back so far and the board fence does allow for someone to climb it if necessary in a hurry. Plus is is wide enough that an animal can go by and not squeeze you into a pancake against the side.
We have often loaded a bull in the pasture just by putting some feed in the trailer and telling him to load up. Or getting him in a catch and then walking him to the trailer and him seeing a little feed in a flat black fortex type pan. Yes we have had some crazy ones but they get weeded out...and get weeded out faster and earlier as we get older and are not wanting or able to move fast enough to get out of their way.

Another thing we have found, many are afraid of slipping and don't like a "shiny clean trailer" to go into either. A little dirt on the floor, not nice clean shavings, makes it much less scary to them. A scared animal will slip faster than anything because they are in a hurry to get past the "scared part". So they hurry or try to jump and they slip. The next time it just reinforces their scared reaction.

With any new bull, I back the trailer up to where we load out. I secure the door open and leave the trailer parked. As I feed the bull in a pen next to the load-out, I work closer to the trailer eventually feeding him inside the trailer. Most times, the process works quite fast. I'll do this for as long as I don't need the trailer. My bulls will load most anywhere after doing this. When checking a pasture, I've come back to find the bull and several cows just standing in the trailer. My atv ramps get a little messed up but I like that the cattle are comfortable standing in the trailer.

And don't forget to lock the side door on the trailer, if you have one . I'd rather not talk about it .

i load out of the sweep, I dont over crowd (i can do more with 1 to 4 in that sweep than 8) and let it be there idea for a reasonable amount of time, very seldom i have to do anything more than a gentle pressure on em.

Some day I'll have an alley way with a gate on a track system, that forces cattle forward and lessens the room in the alley until they are forced onto the trailer.

I rarely load a single cow or calf. If I have only one that I need to take off I will run another one into the trailer with it. Then I put them both into the front section of the trailer. Then I use my sliding gate in my divider to run the one that stays into the back section, where it can be turned back out. In my experience this is easier than trying to get a single cow loaded.

snoopdog":3l84rlrx said:
And don't forget to lock the side door on the trailer, if you have one . I'd rather not talk about it .

Been there, did that. You never get the trailer full when you leave the front gate open and are loading from the back.

Latest posts