Loading stories: lets hear em

Help Support CattleToday:

At My age I seldom do any thing alone,need some one around to dial 911. Any way I got a Cuz that helps me. We about same age . The same people taught us both how to work cattle. I had a bad fighting muley cow. We decided it was time she left. We sorted her and two gentle cows off. Got them headed up the chute to the trailer. It was Cuzs new 32footer ,Had two centergates and a solid roof.We had left rear partition gate about 2/3 open so cows would go in an we could close it easy. I was right behind the cows poking and hollering ,Cuz was crossing gates behind us. Cows hit the trailer with fighting cow bringing up the rear, About the time I got thru the rear gate cuz Slamed it home and ol crazy spun closing her an me in back compartment. I was assisted over partition gate into front section by ol muley. Good thing she was muley. After I finaly got out the front escape gate I askked cuz why he didnt open rear gate. He said "No matter which of yall I let out I was gonna get hurt!". Made sense to me.

I had a few cows left on a piece of land I had recently sold . I took a horse and was pushing the cows along a ally to the pens . All the cows went into the pens except one . A old crazy that always raised a good calf so she stayed . Well the horse I had recently bought from a cutting horse trainer . Got what I thought was a good deal for a team penning horse because he " flunked " cutting school . Well I've never been on a real cutting horse . So here I sit cow comming back down the ally I did my best to stay in the saddle . The little horse crouched down kinda like a puppy when you stomp you foot at it and he kept the cow in the ally for a few min then she desided to go through the fence . And the next fence also . She stopped 3 pastures over . After I was loaded I drove over to the neighbors to tell him when she comes in the pen I would come pick her up . He offered to buy her . I got her 4 years earlier for 400 and sold her for 500 . It's the best deal I've made yet .

Had an old bull we needed to take off to town one time. We got him loaded up in the corral and backed the trailer up to get ready to load him. He decided he wanted out of there, so he tried jumping out and made it about 4 feet up the corral panel and bent it over and tore out and headed towards the woods. Had a couple of guys I know come out and a couple hours later we got him rounded back up in the barn. We put a bucket of feed in the front of the trailer in case that might help him go in there. We finally eased him in the trailer but an old goat that I had that was always nosin around looking for feed slipped in the door as we were closing it behind him. That bull saw that goat, then the closed trailer door, and he went nuts. He blew out the back trailer door and we had to jump out of his way. When we got that poor goat off the trailer, she looked like she had been caught up in a tornado. She was banged up pretty bad, but she wound up recovering ok. Gives new meaning to the phrase tough ol goat. We wound up having another guy I knew that had a bigger trailer than mine with a couple of cut gates in it come out, and we got that bull running and ran him all the way to the front of that trailer and shut all of the cut gates behind him. People said he put on a pretty good show at the sale barn when they ran him through. After that I learned any time I'm loading cattle to make sure the goats are all penned up and I put a chain on the trailer gates just in case.

MO_cows":31tttziv said:
TexasBred":31tttziv said:
No loading stories here but one loaded story. Pulling a 32 ft. gooseneck trailer full of holstein cattle one day and ran over a mexican boy riding a bike. He had only learned to ride it a couple of days earlier. He raised one hand to wave and me and went on by...I looked in the mirror and all I saw was that bicycle tumbling behind me. Got out and ran to the back. He had a tire track on one forearm, both shoes knocked off and not a scratch. I did more damage to my "laundry" than that trailer did to him.

:shock: What a sickening feeling that must have been when you saw the bike and it sunk in what happened. Glad the kid was all right. Even if it wasn't your fault, if he had been hurt bad or killed, heaven forbid, you would probably be haunted by that for life.
He was a wonderful young guy about 14 years old...loved him like a son....it did cost me a new bicycle and many many "I'm sorries".

Holy crap, there could be no feeling like you felt running back there to see what the damage was. Sickening is right. I think I'd have put him thru college. :lol:

Was just about to fasten the second compartment in the trailer when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw my Dad fall. I relaxed my pressure on the partition gate and a cow kicked it full blast. The round corner of the gate hit me across my upper gum below my nose and across my cheek. Loosened the upper teeth and spider cracked my cheek bone. Just a little up or down and would have destroyed alot of bones and teeth. I had 2 black eyes for over a week.
Last time I used the old truck for hauling, the racks were getting real bad. I loaded a big bull who was getting rambuctious and when I was driving out the field toward the gate, I looked in the mirror and saw the bull running across the field. I got out and looked and he had torn the whole side out of those old racks.
Was loading cattle for an older neighbor and they were all just about in the trailer and I put my hand on the last one to push it on in and I hear a yell from behind and felt something like a red hot iron across the back of my hand. My neighbor had reached over the fence with his whip to get the last one in just as I put my hand where that whip was going to land---had a red blister across the back of my hand for quite some time.
My Uncle had a crazy 750 lb steer he wanted butchered, so we loaded him and took him to the slaughter plant. I was careful to keep my uncle out of the "action". When I unloaded him, there was a lady who knew everything doing the bossing and she knew nothing. I told her the calf was crazy and get the gate shut behind him quickly. I let the calf out, he went down the alley and instead of shutting the gate, she answered her cell phone. The calf hit the end of the alley, turned and before I could run up to the gate, it came at me, I grabbed pipe above me and it went under me. I knew it could only go back into the trailer..............but, lo and behold, my Uncle had so considerately closed the trailer gate, which left a 3 foot opening to freedom in which he was standing. The calf went over him, knocking him to the ground and knocking him unconscious and off it went. We looked all morning while listening to the news that happened on 9/11 and finally found the calf 3 miles away in a new housing subdivision. The deputy came out and shot it and we loaded it and hauled it back to the slaughter house. Then I took my Uncle to the doctor for some stitches. But, he did get his beef butchered.

Hubby told me a story about meeting our northern neighbor on the highway one day.
well this guy loaded up 2 old bulls into the back of his 2 ton truck. He got about half way to the sale ring and these bulls got to fighting in the back of that truck. Hubby was coming home and could see this rocking truck coming towards him and saw it was our neighbor. He was bug eyed and had a death grip on the wheel. The vehicles following him were keeping their distance from that possible wreck.

Neighbor bought a goose neck trailer after that.

Isomade":23rpega8 said:
Holy crap, there could be no feeling like you felt running back there to see what the damage was. Sickening is right. I think I'd have put him thru college. :lol:
Iso the bad thing about it was that he never waved at me again. :lol2:

Worked at the local salebarn through High School in the late '70's. Two brothers brought in two huge charlaois bulls in a 2 ton truck. They wouldn't come off of the truck so the one lanky brother started crawling from the top inside the truck and when he got to the front both bulls were facing the back of the truck, they both lunged for the opening, the truck didn't have enough compression and it rolled about four feet from the loading ramp, the first bull out landed on the ground but hit his chin on the loading ramp knocking him for a loop, he led right in the ground level chute, the other jumped out and was gone! The brother inside the truck, he fell in the crap, looked like crap when he came out!

Latest posts