Loading Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":3496swc6 said:
well, our cows do that as well, but maybe you're twisting the tail wrong.. or not putting enough uumph into it
When it cracks you know you've put enough behind it.

too many prolapses and anesthetic shots in the tail?

that is pretty bad if they don't move if you twist that hard... if they even like it...

Nesikep":g3cr1sx4 said:
too many prolapses and anesthetic shots in the tail?

that is pretty bad if they don't move if you twist that hard... if they even like it...
Nope, just a big old lazy gal that doesn;t get excited about anything. Her mother was the same way. Strange that this year her calf was the wildest nutcase we've ever had

my "milk" cow would qualify as one of those.. besides the fact she physically doesn't fit down a chute (her form of life insurance)

I have a great dislike to nutcases... they freak for everything and it really damages the zen of the heard... we had one old cow who got to 17... never could touch her unless you had an apple, but she wasn't a freak either.. that's not too bad

all of our cattle are on the docile side and that's the way we like it, if they show any aggression there gone end of story. we've got grandkids and ourselves to think about.

Worst "incident" I ever had was loading a hereford steer that had VERY long horns. I loaded him with swing gate open and he walked right in. When I got to the butcher I didn't even think about having to unload him through the slide gate. His damn horns were to wide and I could not get him to turn his head sideways. Ended up setting gates behind the trailer and making a small chute to get him in the holding pen.

One day we were loading three old cows in the middle of the summer and they would not get in no mater what we did they just stand there half way in the trailer
We work on getting them in the trailer for a hour and finaly they jump in
After that I went right to the hydrit and stuck my head under it
I was sweating more than a fat guy in a oven.

We dog break the calves and load with the dogs, gently quietly.
They seem to remember this work.

I have to haul alot because most of our pasture is leased and far from us.

Latest posts