loading a bull into trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":u3hix0b1 said:
scf84":u3hix0b1 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":u3hix0b1 said:
Why would you keep a bull over 13 years?
why not? he has made a good bull for our small farm for the last 12 years. just bred a cow last week.

He's pert enough to jump on the trailer then.

Good backup plan right there, put a cow in heat in the trailer. Sounds like he will run up into the trailer then.

Yeah, if he is able to breed a cow he is able to go into any trailer that is reasonable height. So if he is after a cow, then yeah, put one in, let him go in after her and then just get her out . Or even let her take a ride to town and bring her back if he is too rank to work with.
Since you kept the bull that long I am assuming that you never keep heifers out of him. I am curious as to what breed he is since I am unable to picture any beef breed I know that only weighs 1300 lbs at 13 years old. Most all mature bulls here of beef breeds will top the 1800 and up range.

callmefence":1a8a7oig said:
M-5":1a8a7oig said:
Just use blocks or car ramps under rear truck tires . it will pick up nose of trailer . y'all dam sure try and make it complicated

A scoop of dirt is complicated?
it takes several steps to put out a scoop. Most have blocks already on trailer or in truck so yea it's more complicated

I just thought it was a joke thread... He can jump to breed a cow but not step up maybe 16 inches... Give me a break...

I've seen young bull. Nice and gentle.
Couldn't make that jump. It was like he had a phobia bought it. Reminded me of the kinda reaction you would get from a cattle guard or hot wire. He would raise cane , eventuallyJust lay down when you pushed him. Instead of making a rodeo out it. I got complicated.

I load some of my yearling bulls a bit when I bring them around to use on my cows or loan them out. It doesn't take them long to realize that there are willing girls at the end of the trip and they are very willing to load. They are going to get a big surprise one day when they get to go to the other Knock Shop.

Ken

Ken, we're like you; our bulls learn real quick that going on the trailer means going to some new pasture and some new girlfriends. Seldom if ever have any that won't load, and often can just open the trailer right in the pasture and put a little grain in a flat black rubber pan and they will load themselves. It's probably one of the things that all the rented pastures, and trailering the cows out to and back with their calves, has made us appreciate that most all our cows will load pretty easy and the calves learn pretty young that the trailer isn't the worst thing in their life. Does make me feel a little guilty when they get loaded and sent to town though....

I remember as kid, jumping cattle in to the bed of a truck with stock sides. That's one part of the old days, that I don't miss.

We had one bull that knew he wasn't doing his job and knew darned well that his ride was going to be his last.. he sure made a scene about it
When I loaded our last Gelbvieh bull (7 or 8 years old?) he just ambled right on, no questions asked and was a gentleman the whole way, including at the sale barn.. judging by the price we got for him he went on to another place to breed.
I still halter my homeraised bull once or twice a year to bring him to his girls.. this year could be interesting, he's getting pretty big, but he's always figured out he's going to where he wants to be anyhow and follows nicely

Bigfoot":5zjhae71 said:
I remember as kid, jumping cattle in to the bed of a truck with stock sides. That's one part of the old days, that I don't miss.
The hardest part I remember was getting them OUT. We spent nearly an hour trying to unload a steer at the processor one year. Their ramp was slick, steep, concrete and he wanted no part of it. Like you say, I don't miss that one bit.

went ahead and dug alittle for the wheels to set in, and put the dirt in the allyway.
i have had littleones not want to jump in, not because they cant, just to piss me off i think.

Glad you got him loaded and gone and the price was about what they are bringing here...most in the 70's here last week. Cull cows were in the mid 50's...sold 3 that were old cows, 930 1000 and 1350. 2 heifers that came up open, 12 others were 7 months, and they weighed 1700/850 ea. and brought 97. Was very satisfied with that for non-breeders.

Latest posts