Loader Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Soggy Bottom

Reaction score
Last night I picked the front end of my riding mower up with my bucket. Of course I didn't have all the right parts so left my rider front end in the air hanging from my bucket. Today I get home and bucket has lowered to where there is no more tension on the chain and the mower is back on the ground. Is it normal for a loader to lower overnight with some weight on it? Couldn't be more than a few hundred pounds.

The pump won't have anything to do with hydraulics settling. It will either be the valve spool allowing oil to bypass or the packing in the ram is bypassing. Most likely the packing in the ram.

Well it certainly isn't uncommon, and it doesn't sound like it's serious by any means. But if it's new it may get better after it's broke in a bit, I don't know. I wouldn't consider a slow settling like that a problem, but I guess if it bothers you it may be worth talking to your dealer. If for no other reason than having them make note of it in case it gets worse. All hydraulics will settle some over time.

That low of hours I would hope it would hold a small load overnight. My 1989 vintage 6000+ hour loader will keep 2000lbs suspended over night. Either the cylinders are leaking, valve bypassing, or a hose of fitting between the two is weeping.

Thanks for the input. Last week I noticed the three point goes up fine but is real slow going down now. Maybe the two issues are related? I think I'll take it in and let them look at it.

There is no hydraulic cylinder on earth that will hold indefinitely. Oil will always bypass the piston seal.

Then there is the loader valve, again, not a perfect seal. Lots of places for oil to slip by.

Some may take weeks, some overnight, but they all leak. It's only a problem if you can visually see the loader sinking (to the point it is almost unusable), or theres an external leak.

The above reasons are why parking brakes are always mechanical, hydraulic lifts have mechanical locks, etc. You can not rely on them to hold over time, without pressure provided from a pump.

Soggy Bottom said:
Thanks for the input. Last week I noticed the three point goes up fine but is real slow going down now. Maybe the two issues are related? I think I'll take it in and let them look at it.

I bet if you hang some weight on the 3 point it drops faster. The drop can be adjusted on most tractors.

I don't know about new tractors. Pretty normal for what I've been around. I feel it's harder on the seals to leave pressure on them, so after I shut the tractor off I let the loader to the ground.

You've learned a lesson here though. That lesson should be to always block things up if you are going to be working on them. I can promise you that a hydraulic line will burst a fair portion of the time when they decide to go (vs. just a leak)... and you won't have time to move out of the way. Heck my tractor can pump out over 15 gallons of fluid in the time it takes a bale to free fall from the top row on a trailer to the ground. Happens fast.

Any air in the system will make the loader bucket drift down faster....air molecules are smaller than hyd oil molecules and will get by the seals easier.

I can promise you that a hydraulic line will burst a fair portion of the time when they decide to go (vs. just a leak)... and you won't have time to move out of the way.
And if the load don't fall on you, it's a sure thing you'll get a hyd oil bath..don't understand how it always knows where you're standing or sitting, but it does.

Lbass said:
You've learned a lesson here though. That lesson should be to always block things up if you are going to be working on them. I can promise you that a hydraulic line will burst a fair portion of the time when they decide to go (vs. just a leak)... and you won't have time to move out of the way. Heck my tractor can pump out over 15 gallons of fluid in the time it takes a bale to free fall from the top row on a trailer to the ground. Happens fast.

We had a discussion on here about a year ago about a young State Trooper in our area that was killed because he was working on a tractor while standing under a raised loader. The line gave way and the loader crushed him.

Soggy Bottom said:
Is this normal for a new tractor? It's 3 months old with 50 hours. Should I take it to the dealer and let them look at it?
I have loaders on the 2007 Branson 65 hp and 2016 Branson 24 hp. Neither will have moved much if any (detectible) with a moderate load while sitting overnight....on the rare occasions that they have to retain the load. I too use the 2400 loader for lifting the front end of mowers. What I like about that vs other options is that I can move the washout around to different areas and not wind up with a messy pile of clipping goo in one spot. Don't have loaders on my old tractors so I can't say on them.

I would expect it out of my stuff, but no ,not a new tractor,. I'd be talking to the dealer period

Latest posts