Live cattle vs feeder cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
If live cattle are trading for $1.07-$1.10 then why are feeders only bringing $1.10-$1.30 (on average depending on location)? Shouldn't they be in the $2.00 range?

My theory and I'm not in the loop so take it for what it's worth.

Packers are posturing on supplies on hand to keep prices down and margins up but realistically supply is low and they are buying heavy cattle to feed to fill the void.

I see spring as a turning point
Seasonal highs and low supplies we should see a rally
Of course unless they import beef from Uganda or some place

All the buyers here are saying that they don't see any improvement in the next year or 2 with this allowing beef to come in from Argentina and all....but I see the reasoning Cross-7. That would sure be a nice boost.
We have sold about 15 of the "bottom end" of heifers we were holding on to; brought in the .90 range avg. The 7-9 wts were bringing that also and 8-9 wt steers were bringing as much or more than the 4-5 wts. One guy said the very thing you did; they are buying the heavier cattle to feed with the price of corn being low they can turn them around quicker. There haven't been as many at the local yard this fall either; not only have we noticed much shorter lines for unloading, but the owners said it too.
Have heard of one couple going out; they have sold all their equipment and the place is for sale. They have been there for about 25 years and always thought they knew more than some of the rest of us. I understand there are some health problems too, but this is the second or 3rd time I have heard of someone getting out. These prices will break the ones that thought they "HAD TO BE CATTLEMEN" when those super high prices made farming look like THE way to make a million.

IN 2011 when everything was dry we could get a good price for cattle. About as dry here at as that time of the year. Do have some pretty sorry hay. Will have to supplement. Looks like we may be in for a long dry spell. All ponds are at about 50% after completely filling this spring. Not very optimistic on the cattle operation.

hurleyjd":2pmtfdes said:
IN 2011 when everything was dry we could get a good price for cattle. About as dry here at as that time of the year. Do have some pretty sorry hay. Will have to supplement. Looks like we may be in for a long dry spell. All ponds are at about 50% after completely filling this spring. Not very optimistic on the cattle operation.

It's always darkest before dawn Hurley. Keep trucking were in a cycle and if it doesn't come back around it will be the first time. Of course they say there is always a first time for everything. :D Guess I'm stubborn enough to see if it's going to be but then again I don't depend on cattle for income.

Latest posts