Hay feeder mess?

Help Support CattleToday:

Can you explain "busting"?
We have a bale buster…so one puts a full bale into the chamber of the pto ran machine. The machine has bars you back up to that sit just under the lower sides of a bale and with your remotes one lifts the bale into the chamber. We cut our wrap and/or twine from the bale but the machine will collect it on the lower feed bar. The augers inside the chamber rotate the bale with your remotes and "bust" the bale up. The "busted feed" comes out the side unload into a windrow. I will see if I have a picture.we use it to lay out our straw packs and feed. Our son has one that also side dresses pellets or grain so there is that option. Here is a picture of a much newer one than ours. This device doesn't have a picture of us using our but this gives you an idea. IMG_1662.jpeg

We have a bale buster…so one puts a full bale into the chamber of the pto ran machine. The machine has bars you back up to that sit just under the lower sides of a bale and with your remotes one lifts the bale into the chamber. We cut our wrap and/or twine from the bale but the machine will collect it on the lower feed bar. The augers inside the chamber rotate the bale with your remotes and "bust" the bale up. The "busted feed" comes out the side unload into a windrow. I will see if I have a picture.we use it to lay out our straw packs and feed. Our son has one that also side dresses pellets or grain so there is that option. Here is a picture of a much newer one than ours. This device doesn't have a picture of us using our but this gives you an idea. View attachment 41733
I'm thinking tannerite fits my style better. I need a volunteer to hold my beer.

I attended a seminar once where it was stated that a hay barn is one of the best investment you can make.
I read so many articles saying that a hay barn was the #1 investment you could make on a Farm/Ranch that we built one even though we couldn't really afford it at the time. We decided to add lean toos on two sides for equipment storage while we were building it. I think we built it 7 yrs ago and I'd say it paid for itself in 5 yrs. I can store about 300 rolls and there are 120' of 20' lean toos for storage. We paid $43,000 and was quoted $80,000 to build another like it 2 yrs ago.

One of the things I didn't think about before we built it was having a barn full of $40 hay when a drought strikes and hay goes to $80-$100 a roll. That has happened twice since we built it.

I'd rather the worms and other soil life get to devour it. Worm poo is a perfect ph of 7.

If I understand right, burning puts the carbon in the air. Id rather it go in the ground.

My 2 cents.
You can actually add to your top soil by burning and then managing the grazing correctly.