Hay feeder mess?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
What is your strategy, or tactical effort with the mess.
I'm looking for better ideas and curious what others do.

I have previously tried many different things. So far, the method that seems to provide best bang for the buck, is to move the feeders every time I feed.

I don't sleep well at night if I don't move them. Missed moving them one time this winter, when we had that brutal cold followed by the five days of constant rain.

FULL STOP (I think I may have just earned charter member status in the "question our intelligence" thread). I'm with the dog, looking at cow butts and listening to music on my Bluetooth speaker. The phone rang…….through my Bluetooth speaker. I'm scrambling to find my phone when I realize that I'm holding it in my hand, attempting to post something on the CT forum.

I'll be back. It was the wife.

She just wanted me to know that she didn't feel like cooking tonight, so she brought home KFC….."come gittit if yer hungry"
She's a peach. Really. She only needs a bit less bossyness, but thinking that would take all the fun out of it.

The hay feeder areas……
I've used a tedder and didn't care for the results. Used a landscape rake and felt the same.

The last two years, I've been using an 8 foot pull behind bush hog to munch it all.

This past fall, I considered since I'm putting out hay anyway, might as well make efficient use of my time; when we get older, we learn these really cool things that are mostly useless to us now. (I've heard older people talk about this sudden epiphany, after they've successfully tied their shoe and then wonder what else they can accomplish while they are in that position).

I move pretty much every time I put out a roll. About the only time I don't is if I'm topping off one that isn't eaten down enough to abandon it. This happens sometimes when we are going out of town and they need feeding before I get back.

Other than that, the leftovers get taken care of by Mother Nature.

I'd rather unroll, but this year it took 10-14 Days for them to finish a roll.

Before I move the round bale feeders, I've been sprinkling some seed, then using my brute strength to roll the feeders.

I keep a bit of mixed seed with me. After I pluck rocks, I sprinkle seed.17D60773-1AD9-4774-898F-99B55B9FC7E0.jpeg

I've got some places that I feed bales with rings on pasture, they get moved each feeding. Other places, I feed on concrete. Try to scrape the pads off every 7-10 days, and pile the mess up to spread later. Other places, I unroll. I usually pull a drag across where the rings were after I finish feeding. Took a page from a neighbor and started going over where I unroll with a bushhog in early spring. It really does help the leftovers break down faster.

I try to always unroll, but I find less waste with a ring. I don't use them much but if I am forced to, I use a ring on the rare occasion.
I need to find some studies that were done showing its less waste. Plus all cows or calves get to eat instead of just the bosses.

I disagree, unrolling saves hay. Or just unroll what you want them to have and save even more.
My cows must be some rank slobs; no table manners….attall. Every time I've rolled a bale out, they have it soiled with poop and pee way before it's half eaten.

Guess I need to potty train and work on table manners.