Line bred calculation

Help Support CattleToday:

Supa Dexta

Reaction score
Just made up this chart, anyone wanna take a stab at the coefficient? I highlighted the commons for easy pickin's

chart.png

If I've done it correctly I got the following over 5 gens.

Inbreeding: 0.142578125 (14.2578125%)
AVK (ancestor loss coefficient): 67.741935483871%

Yeah thats what I used after all. To look at my image you would think it would be more common. Ill keep playing with em though.

Just 2 animals I happened to end up with in separate purchases. I have a heifer out of the match this year.

I have another heifer that shares the same sire as this bull, to run their numbers you end up with 13%. They'll be paired this summer.

I'm coming up with an AVK of 73%..
30 possible ancestors with 8 of them being duplicated = 22 unique, 22/30 = 73.3%... Am I missing something?

I took it another generation when I punched it in, than what is shown.

New stuff to me that I'm playing with, I should pick a few well known animals from foundation herds and see how they turn out to compare.

It is interesting.. I've been doing the same with my herd, and now that I have many cows that are 7/8th sisters but from different maternal lines, as well has having 3 generations of animals, it makes it kinda fun.. Despite it's a bit of a waste for a guy with 25 head to have 2 bulls, it really changes the breeding possibilities, and it's insurance if one fails. Since I had some cows get old, I also have animals with no influence of one breed or another.. We had SH bulls for 8 years, so we have a lot of SH influenced cows, but old cows like Rosie were from the previous Saler bull, and lived through the SH years and I got two daughters with Gelbvieh but no Shorthorn. It all makes for the ability to cook up interesting combinations. I may at some point trade off Marko for my friends bull I raised (Hector, Marko's 13/16th brother) He's been producing great consistent calves for my friend.

Latest posts