Bred Heifer Percentage

Help Support CattleToday:

I went back through the last 100 heifers bred on this ranch and found 11 that came up open. Although the bulls stay in for 60 days, almost all calves are born in the first 45 days, so I expect most of those 89 heifers calved in 45 days, but I did not look that information up, so there may a few that took longer than 45 days. We breed our heifers to calve at 2 years, so they would be in that 15 month age range when bred.

For 4 years I did timed AI followed by 45 days with a clean up bull on 60 heifers each year. It worked out to a hair under 92% bred.

We had a couple years of 96 percent bred in 60 day window which I was happy with. Last year we went to 50 day and only had 88 percent. I think there might've been something else going on though

@Josher That is kind of my scenario. Had 12 and 9 bred in a 45 day window. 1 of the opens I watched the bull breed several times one day, so not sure if it was him having issues or her.

@Josher That is kind of my scenario. Had 12 and 9 bred in a 45 day window. 1 of the opens I watched the bull breed several times one day, so not sure if it was him having issues or her.
Do u get ur bulls tested before turning them out? In our case bulls tested good and appeared to be doing there job. But either it was because I gave bvd vaccine a bit too late or drought related or something else…

Turned out 50 with 2 bulls last spring. 6 were open after being exposed for 60 days.

Do u get ur bulls tested before turning them out? In our case bulls tested good and appeared to be doing there job. But either it was because I gave bvd vaccine a bit too late or drought related or something else…
Which vaccine did you use? This particular bull was not tested. But would think he would have gotten way less than 75% if he had issues.

What percentage bred does everyone expect on heifers?

45 day breeding window
Natural Service, no synch
heifer age 15/16 months.
45 days is two estrus cycles at least. 85% would be a good average for heifers that are matured enough to breed. There are some variables (condition? Gaining/losing weight?) that could make the percentage 5% more or less.

Which vaccine did you use? This particular bull was not tested. But would think he would have gotten way less than 75% if he had issues.
Express 5. Covers bvd, Ibr I believe. But supposed to use it 30 days? before breeding and last year I think I did it like 10 days before.

So I pulled blood on Monday, got results Tuesday. Today, one of the "pregnant" ones is standing for other heifers in the field. Assuming I had a false positive?

Would shortening the breeding season to 21-30 days for heifers produce a better result? The #1 indicator of becoming a productive cow is breeding early as a heifer (Burke Teichert). What about keeping all heifers, no sort except for obvious misfits, and breed all for a short 21-30 period. Pull bulls, wait 30 days, blood test for pregnancy, and sell opens as feeders.

Would shortening the breeding season to 21-30 days for heifers produce a better result? The #1 indicator of becoming a productive cow is breeding early as a heifer (Burke Teichert). What about keeping all heifers, no sort except for obvious misfits, and breed all for a short 21-30 period. Pull bulls, wait 30 days, blood test for pregnancy, and sell opens as feeders.
I knew a guy who kept all the heifers except dinks. Bred them. I don't know how long with the bulls. he had them ultra sounded. Kept the ones who bred earliest and had a bull calf in them. Sold the rest as bred heifers.

Yes.

It will let you pick the early breeders but your market advantage is lost to sell bred heifers (bred after 30 days) later.

If you want to have bred heifers to sell, leave the bulls in as long as you want. Sort the keepers based on preg check, perhaps using ultrasound to improve accuracy.