Limping Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Rosielou

Reaction score
My cows are staying in the woods by the creeks during the hot part of the day, and I'm beginning to think a couple of the calves have been snake bitten. One heifer started limping on her hind leg at 3 months old, so I watched her close but eventually over a few weeks she acts just fine. Now I have an almost 6 month old bull calf that has become lame in his right front leg. Looked at him close today and could tell that the ankle was swollen and the toes were split apart by the swelling, but it has gone down some from yesterday. Hardly puts any weight on it at all, and I didn't see any infected or abscessed areas in the leg or toes, so I'm going to try to see if I can catch him and look at it closer and probably give him some medicine if I see a wound. I don't know of any holes they could be stepping in or any metal, so my next thought was snake bite. Any ideas on what I can do to prevent this again?

I don't have any experience with snake bites, but just 2 hours ago I had a cow go lame on her front leg, in her case I saw she tripped on a rock and the rock rolled (well, flicked) up and 'bit' her.. she's not putting any weight on it either, I think it bruised the bone or something. Good luck with yours and hope you find the cause of it.

Rosielou":3dyhh4ly said:
My cows are staying in the woods by the creeks during the hot part of the day, and I'm beginning to think a couple of the calves have been snake bitten. One heifer started limping on her hind leg at 3 months old, so I watched her close but eventually over a few weeks she acts just fine. Now I have an almost 6 month old bull calf that has become lame in his right front leg. Looked at him close today and could tell that the ankle was swollen and the toes were split apart by the swelling, but it has gone down some from yesterday. Hardly puts any weight on it at all, and I didn't see any infected or abscessed areas in the leg or toes, so I'm going to try to see if I can catch him and look at it closer and probably give him some medicine if I see a wound. I don't know of any holes they could be stepping in or any metal, so my next thought was snake bite. Any ideas on what I can do to prevent this again?
In the woods near water almost for sure means wet areas and possible foot rot. Try a shot of LA300 or similar antibiotic. Also it seems that dehydrated lime in a muddy area that they walk in will help kill the fungus before it gets started.

kenny thomas":hk7332rx said:
Rosielou":hk7332rx said:
In the woods near water almost for sure means wet areas and possible foot rot. Try a shot of LA300 or similar antibiotic. Also it seems that dehydrated lime in a muddy area that they walk in will help kill the fungus before it gets started.

:nod: Very good description of classic "Foot Rot" by the OP here. I use Draxxin on foot rot cause its 10 day slow release. I normally can treat them once and turn them out. But the downside is it's Rx & pricey. B&G

As always, very thankful for the advice. I have not bothered messing with him because it's been very hot for the past couple of days and didn't want to stress him anymore than I had to. I will update in a few days after I catch him and probably give medicine, hopefully when it's cooler. It was brutally hot today.

If it's too hot or hard to get him it you could always try feeding him Sustain III boluses - better than nothing. I can break them in half and hand-feed intermittently with cubes or sometimes crush them up, mix with cubes (in your case probably calf starter) & drizzle a little molasses or dark Karo syrup over it. Generally works for me.

Thanks for advice! I let him be for the weekend and went to check on him today and he is putting much more weight on that foot and isn't limping much at all. Still a little stiff, but toes looked fine, were not splayed and I didn't see anything in between them or beneath them. I'm going to wait and see if he continues to get better, if the foot begins to show signs of foot rot I will give him some medicine. The way he is walking doesn't look like the foot is what is plaguing him, but he could prove me wrong. I have a hunch he sprained it in a hole because he won't bend his ankle, which was swollen to begin with. So I guess I will start looking for holes in the pastures. :roll: I will post back here if he doesn't fully heal.