Limousin Yearling Photos

Help Support CattleToday:

Hey Paisley.. I just have a question about why are you waiting to put her on feed around August/ Sept? I like her looks.. specially for a yearling. Looks like you already got her halter broke. I think she will be a fine show heifer for you. And you are right, it all depends on what kind of judges you have.
Good luck with her, and keep us posted.
Well that's when the 4H season starts by me so that's when I have to start keeping my records for finances,and also that's when the grass starts to die cause it doesn't rain as much. But with the way we're not getting any rain,she might be put on feed sooner...
thanks again for the comments guys!

She looks good for your area. I have a neice and nephew in that area Bobby and Robyn Watson that have shown and done well at Lake County. Most of the people that tell you about weight have poored the feed to theres year round and as you know you will have to supplement here also to compete. Who did you get her from I know there are some great people there ALTOONA.

Paisley07":5ij0g6rf said:
Hey Paisley.. I just have a question about why are you waiting to put her on feed around August/ Sept? I like her looks.. specially for a yearling. Looks like you already got her halter broke. I think she will be a fine show heifer for you. And you are right, it all depends on what kind of judges you have.
Good luck with her, and keep us posted.
Well that's when the 4H season starts by me so that's when I have to start keeping my records for finances,and also that's when the grass starts to die cause it doesn't rain as much. But with the way we're not getting any rain,she might be put on feed sooner...
thanks again for the comments guys!

Paisley07,

Your heifer being as tall as she is and also because she appears very leggy (especially the cannon bone) as well as the depth of body in relation to the lentgh of her legs gives me the impression that she definately is a later maturing type.

In simple terms this means that you'll need a longer period to get the desired finish on her because she is likely to continue growing in height for a longer than average period. She'll probably end up taller than your competition and if finished properly will stand out in the showring. If not finished properly she'll look very rangy and won't be very competitive.

So I'll start sooner rather than later to feed her and would ideally like a feed with a higher energy value and slightly lower proteien.

That makes alot of sense, I'll talk to my dad about what kind of feed to put her on. Personally what do all of you prefer Purina as a brand or Nutrena? Those are the two main cattle feeds in my area.

Being a South African I can't help you with brand names as far as feed goes, but you need a feed with a high percentage corn, or sugar beet pulp or molasses meal to give the neccesary energy. Usually the price is correlated to the percentage proteien as well as the proteien source. You won't need very high percentage proteien, abot 13-14% will do, but especially in the starter ration you need the bulk of the proteien to come from a natural source such as cotton oil cake, canola oil cake or sunflower oilcake. This helps a great deal in the adapting from forage to a hotter feed and prevent scours and accidosis. After about three weeks the natural proteien isn't so neccesary anymore.

As others have said, your heifer is a large frame, and has not received the adequate nutrition to keep up with her growth to be competitive in the showring. Knersie is right. She might not even need that much protein. More like the 12% range would probably be just fine. Protein grows cattle, energy will put some finish on them. Not saying she needs to be FAT, you never want to get a breeding heifer FAT. But, to be competitive, she will need "more meat on her bones" and more volume.
I would definately get her started on a grain ration, starting at 1% of her body weight per day. (900# = 9# divided in two feedings - so 4.5# in AM & 4.5# in PM) After a week of 1% you can slowly increase it over several weeks, til you get up to 3% of her body weight in grain.
If you are doing this as a learning lesson & to have fun - great! If you are "hoping to win", she needs more condition.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":yh05yufb said:
If you are doing this as a learning lesson & to have fun - great! If you are "hoping to win", she needs more condition.
This is a learning process for sure haha. Thanks for the advice!

She is a nice looking heifer and will make a fine show prospect. In addition to getting her on feed, she should have access to vitamin and mineral supplement. This will help her growth efficiency and feed conversion. One thing to keep in mind is Limousin are highly feed efficient, so make sure you don't over feed her. As Jeanne said you don't want her too fat, but you do want her to start filling out her frame and adding muscle.

TNMasterBeefProducer":3o8rqk5c said:
Apparently on this board old threads never die.

If my memory serves me, I can remember this girl had to endure some very rude and unasked for remarks, and that had nothing to do with how her heifer looked :roll:

Paisley07":108v1k8q said:
This is Katrina,she is a yearling Limousin heifer.She's my 4H project for the coming year.

She looks like what our's would look like in summer pictures or has she been trimmed? Dang it must be nice.

You got any pics from the rear.

When I buy brand name show feed, it has been Moorman's Showtec. The developing ration is 12%, and the finishing ration is 10% protein.

The first thing I noticed when I looked at the heifer is that she would need to have those hooves trimmed for show, and that would probably help her posture, and might help her put on more pasture weight as it would make traveling easier. It does make a difference. Dairies have their hooves trimmed to increase milk production.

She is leggy, but not bad looking. The high flank as I understand it, comes with Limi territory.

What she does in the real world is far more important than a showring judge's opinion anyway.

Latest posts