Limousin vs Gelbvieh vs Simmental

Help Support CattleToday:

This is MARC data -- not just a spreadsheet I conjured up out of the blue > here is an updated Version of the same from another website>
Here is 2012 data http://www.beefimprovement.org/PDFs/2012/Across-Breed-EPD-Factors.pdf
Here is 2011 data http://www.bifconference.com/bif2011/documents/12-Kuehn-et-al.pdf
Here is some Gelbveih Data (as we can see they omitted several parameters where they don't have any data) and I don't know what year this is in reference to as this is a Gelbvieh publication > http://www.albcia.com/documents/information tab/AcrossBreedEPDTable.pdf
Here is even one dated back to 2000 > http://www.extension.umn.edu/beef/components/homestudy/mlesson3b.pdf

Here is a short exert from this Publication:
In 1990 the Beef Improvement Federation funded a project to allow EPD (Expected Progeny Differences) comparisons between breeds. Since 1969 this center has AI'ed large groups of Angus/Hereford cows to proven sires in more than 20 breeds

This is nothing new here --- USDA has been doing this for many years. The sooner you get on board on "the numbers" the better off we will all be. All livestock and poultry are bred on indexes >> chickens, hogs, Dairy cattle and BEEF CATTLE, because ya just cant tell by lookin'.

The website you posted as a reference is your own personal website. While I too, prefer Simmi....to be fair and honest (without prejudice), I think it would be better if you posted data obtained from actual studies, in lieu of information you compiled and uploaded to a personal website..
:compute:[/quote]

I do run a m6 char for terminal cross on my commercial cows. I also have a calf crop of the gelbvieh sired calves on the ground. I prefer the added bone and smoothness of the char cross. Im also in the shorthorn seedstock business. Ideally, the smart commercial cattleman will buy shorthorn bulls from me to create his own f1 female that he will then cover with a terminal continental sire. Charolais happens to be my preference for this role while a shot of shorthorn is exactly what the modern Angus and hereford need. This shorthorn x Angus or shorthorn x hereford covered by a terminal char is exactly what the market wants: Smokes and buckskin baldies.

Massey135":2nwxpom8 said:
I do run a m6 char for terminal cross on my commercial cows. I also have a calf crop of the gelbvieh sired calves on the ground. I prefer the added bone and smoothness of the char cross. Im also in the shorthorn seedstock business. Ideally, the smart commercial cattleman will buy shorthorn bulls from me to create his own f1 female that he will then cover with a terminal continental sire. Charolais happens to be my preference for this role while a shot of shorthorn is exactly what the modern Angus and hereford need. This shorthorn x Angus or shorthorn x hereford covered by a terminal char is exactly what the market wants: Smokes and buckskin baldies.

I have worked with a lot of Shortie crosses. Gelbvieh/RA/Angus. By far the best F1 was the GV, The very best cross of all was the Shortie/GV cows bred to a Ra bull.

I will post some pictures of those same heifers bred back to one of Massey's Mutts. RA/GV balancer bull. as soon as i have a chance to get some good pics!

You can talk about theoreticals all day, but when it's all said and done there's a lot to be said and done with SELECTION also.

3way if you will loan a bale of hay so my little pencil gutted limis could have a bit to eat i would take a picture. I will take one any way just don't call the humane society on me.

Red Bull Breeder":3o8794a1 said:
3way if you will loan a bale of hay so my little pencil gutted limis could have a bit to eat i would take a picture. I will take one any way just don't call the humane society on me.

I got nuthin at all against YOUR limis. They are a tuff sell around here these days. Not because they aren't good cows but because there's a ton of limi influence and folks are wanting to dilute it some. This spring at our local bull sale there was a fella selling comin 2yr old Limi bulls and there was not a darn thing wrong with them. except they weren't Angus or Balancers. They didn't sell well at all. The folks i run cattle with bought a grazing permit a couple of years ago and they were required to buy the cows that were on it. They were heavily Limi influenced and they have not fared well in the herd i am afraid. Don't get me wrong there are a few that really ring the bell but i would say she has culled 70% or more of them for disposition and not doing well in general.

BTW i need all the hay i can get for those no growin Gelbvieh's of mine so i guess ya'll are just SOL! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Thats ok 3way mine has still got some weeds and sawbairs. Heck i ain't even turned them in on the persimmon patch yet. If i can get them threw till the persimmons start falling they will get fat. You folks out there need to stay away from them Magness breed cattle for a few years. New guy in control at Magness now it will take him a few year to get them lined in.

3waycross":132uor8y said:
Massey135":132uor8y said:

I have worked with a lot of Shortie crosses. Gelbvieh/RA/Angus. By far the best F1 was the GV, The very best cross of all was the Shortie/GV cows bred to a Ra bull.

I will post some pictures of those same heifers bred back to one of Massey's Mutts. RA/GV balancer bull. as soon as i have a chance to get some good pics!

You can talk about theoreticals all day, but when it's all said and done there's a lot to be said and done with SELECTION also.
Absolutely! " Functional beef cattle selection protocol" as Doc would put it is implicit in my statements. From there, its wise to take advantage of heterosis which is maximized by your namesake- the 3 way cross.

I've tested a Gelbvieh- the heifers I have, out of fairly feminine brangus cows, are too coarse made for my preference. I do not like seeing the leaness nor the excessive rump in my heifers that you get with the half blood. And of all the Gelbviehs I've seen, I would consider my lt gov son softer made than most.

I'm sure there are plenty f1 gelbvieh cross cows out there that are doin work but my problem with this arrangement is that you cannot get a 50% continental 3 way cross when you have gelbviehs or any other continental as part of the dam equation. I much prefer a 100% British f1 momma cow covered by a continental bull. Or where its more humid, the Gert x Angus or brangus x hereford super baldy covered by continental.

Massey you might want to keep in mind that the fact that it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work.! As soon as i have some time i will post the results of my friends program that i have helped him with the last 5 years!

Latest posts