Limousin Popularity

Help Support CattleToday:

there is a huge difference in the Docility of the black limis of today than the fullblood lines. I have 125 registered limis and everyone that visits my farm to buy bulls, say that they are most docile cows and bulls they have seen . my limis are alot more docile than my angus cows,

Thats my issue here, Have never met one I like - but there aren't many around worth liking. I see some nice pictures online and in magazines, but they haven't made a big presence around here and the ones that have are flighty, fighty and subpar.

Nesi the calves lot nice. I think they will work well for you. Most of the early Limousin in the US and Canada were not fullblood cattle. Polled Bull I have had Red ones and Black ones I still have the red ones.

SupaDexta, it sounds like Salers in BC.. there's not a single breeder, but there's numerous in Alberta. I do have plans to get a Saler again, and it may be my next bull, but I'm going to have to travel to find one. There's quite a few Limo breeders around here though, and the one I bought my bull from had a pretty docile bunch.. when I was looking at the bulls I had a short-list of the ones I wanted, and they were penned up.. When I went to see them, one of them snorted and backed off, and the other came and licked my hand.. I went home with him, and he's been really good.. babies have been tame so far too.

Our son worked for a Limmy breeder back when he was in high school. That has been 16 years ago so they may have made a lot of changes since then. He said they were mean as a wet cat. Like I said that was 16 years ago and only one herd but it was our only exposure to the breed. I don't think you could give my son a Limousin, based on his past experience with them.

Gizmom

My dad had a registered limmi herd in the eighties. I was never allowed to be around them because he had so many disposition problems. I have been around a few that were pretty wild but they seem to be more flight than fight and I'll take that any day over a hot cow that will ignore an open gate because she's so focused on kicking your butt. :lol: I do have one customer that has registered lims that I've been around quite a bit and I used a few straws of Tow Truck(and may use some more) and his cattle and those calves were not high strung at all.
For me the killer is late maturity. To run limmis I'd only be able to keep the first few heifers born every year to get them matured enough to fit my ideal calving window unless I breed them as two year olds. Gelbvieh is similar and they eliminate that problem so I got that way instead.

I've found Gelbvieh quite early maturing... I'll have to see how these calves I have do... the ones from the really good mommas should grow well, and ought to be 650+ lbs at weaning, which should give them enough time to grow out.. Starting this year I'm also investing in OLS tubs for my young stock.. at $170/200lb tub the cows ain't getting none of that!

I've never experienced any problems with limousin as far as disposition goes- but my experiences are limited to bulls, not cows, and the first time for that was sometime in the mid to later 90s.

My father is a fan of using purebred or fullblood limo bulls on angus/hereford cross cows, but he's having a harder and harder time finding a supplier.

I've tried to convince him to give Gelbievh a chance but so far I've been unsuccessful.

Nesikep":1o7jpubb said:
It'll be a few years before I need another bull though, I've got "Arnold" the gelbvieh who's got about 3 to 4 years left in him before I start requiring replacements from his daughters, and I have our own 3/4 shorthorn as a backup
Did you breed "Arnold" to his daughters?

My father is a fan of using purebred or fullblood limo bulls on angus/hereford cross cows, but he's having a harder and harder time finding a supplier.
I bet that cross would make a machine of some stockers if you could keep some grass in front of them. What's that cross look like?

JeffMills517":gnrvfl7a said:
It seems like Limousin are not as popular as they used to be maybe 20 years ago. Do you find this to be the case? If so, why?
The bulls took this area by strom 25 years ago you can't find one now.
Attitude hurt them and order buyers docked the calves here. The only continental that still running strong is Char. Ninety nine out of a hundred pastures that are not running a Char it is Angus,Brangus or Hereford in this part of the world.

I think that there may be fewer breeders in general, but for the most part, they have worked hard to improve and promote the breed and have pretty good stock. It may be harder to find a really good one, than say an average Angus anywhere, but most people I have worked with have fallen in love with the breed and are eager to continue using Limi genetics.

Post Oak":1zsenr5u said:
Nesikep":1zsenr5u said:
It'll be a few years before I need another bull though, I've got "Arnold" the gelbvieh who's got about 3 to 4 years left in him before I start requiring replacements from his daughters, and I have our own 3/4 shorthorn as a backup
Yes, I did.. have one replacement heifer that's double sired by him.. not a great cow, grew well at first and then kinda quit growing (in height at least) at 2 years old.. she's probably a frame 4, 1200 lbs or so.

When we chose our limo bull, he kinda chose us.. there was a pen of 3 of them, and they were all nice animals, some a bit stouter, others a little taller and heavier.. anyhow, one of them kinda ignored us, the other snorted, and the one we got came up and licked us, so he went in the trailer.. Really calm bull, in fact he preferred to ride in the trailer laying down, which probably was a whole lot easier on him. His oldest daughters will have the first calves this spring, so I'll see how they do as cows... 2 of them are really nice, the 3rd is framy and lacks depth.. we'll see what comes of that. This years calves again, 1 is excellent, 2 are pretty good, and again I have one that might not look too pretty
I found the Limo (at least the one we have) doesn't cross well with the shorthorn cows.. however with some Gelbvieh influence on the cow you get some beauties..
Momma is Gelbvieh x Saler.. 3rd calf... probably one of the nicest steers I've ever raised
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5DgVoecp_E

Nesikep":2lvvrw8r said:
Post Oak":2lvvrw8r said:
Nesikep":2lvvrw8r said:
Yes, I did.. have one replacement heifer that's double sired by him.. not a great cow, grew well at first and then kinda quit growing (in height at least) at 2 years old.. she's probably a frame 4, 1200 lbs or so.

When we chose our limo bull, he kinda chose us.. there was a pen of 3 of them, and they were all nice animals, some a bit stouter, others a little taller and heavier.. anyhow, one of them kinda ignored us, the other snorted, and the one we got came up and licked us, so he went in the trailer.. Really calm bull, in fact he preferred to ride in the trailer laying down, which probably was a whole lot easier on him. His oldest daughters will have the first calves this spring, so I'll see how they do as cows... 2 of them are really nice, the 3rd is framy and lacks depth.. we'll see what comes of that. This years calves again, 1 is excellent, 2 are pretty good, and again I have one that might not look too pretty
I found the Limo (at least the one we have) doesn't cross well with the shorthorn cows.. however with some Gelbvieh influence on the cow you get some beauties..
Momma is Gelbvieh x Saler.. 3rd calf... probably one of the nicest steers I've ever raised
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5DgVoecp_E

Nesi, are your Shorthorns a bit framey too? I'm thinking the two breeds are just to similar in type in that respect. I bet the Gelb influence would help out the situation.

Red Bull Breeder":297ei1va said:
CB I can name a half dozen breeders in 50 miles or less of you. Texas still has quite a few breeders in the state.

I know of people breeding lots of breeds that get there clocked cleaned at the salebarn.
A limm influenced calf or a bull come through the salebarn here is a rarity.
The order buyers dock them not as hard as a SH but enough to convince you that you don't want any.
I have a neighbor that runs registered SH that gets killed on them at the barn.
They are good cattle he got tired of the dock and went to using my Angus.
He AI's a select few for show
RBB there are only three operations in this county today running over a 100 head. The largest shares fence with me on his you see Char and Angus the second runs Angus the Third Brahman and Hereford. If it is not a Hereford,Angus or Brahman or a composite of the three it is a novelty running through the barn.

Latest posts