Limousin Popularity

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffMills517 said:
That's exactly what I was getting at UG. To me it seems Charolais are used more often around here than Limmis too...which I kinda don't understand given the availabilty of black limousin.[/quote

Its simple, Limis no longer have the muscle they once had. You want see what a Limi should look like go to one of the French Limousin websites...As they say , a picture will be as good as a thousand words.

Not that we have a huge amount of any breed - Limies are fading. I know of two Limi breeders that are now breeding Simmental. One had great Limi cattle, just got tired of not being able to sell breeding stock for decent money.

Jeffmiles, you have a good point, since producers can still make black cattle with black Limmy's and take advantage of the growth and muscle, like they can with Charolais, you would think that more of them would go the Limmy route. However, I think some producers feel that they get more pounds at weaning with Charolais than with any other breed, and maybe they are right.

Houstoncutter, you are right that most Limmy's don't have the muscle that they did when they were first introduced to the US in the late 60's. Sadly, I'm old enough to remember those days :) If we compare most of the Continental breeds that were introduced to the US 30 to 40 years ago with their more modern contemporaries, they are quite different animals. For the most part US producers have bred the Continentals to have less birthweight, better calving ease, and more marbling (in actuality, most of the Continentals had to decrease BW and improve CE in order to survive in the US). Unfortunately, in doing so they have bred some of the breed strengths out of the cattle (i.e. growth and muscle). A large Simmy breeder commented to me a while back that he is frustrated with the direction of the American Simmental Association since he feels that in the ASA's efforts to encourage Simmental breeders to add more marbling and calving ease to their cattle, they are making them more Angus like and de-emphasizing the breeds strengths of growth and muscle.

Funny thing is I remember the first Chars that came into this area. They were huge mankillers. I guess things change!

I went to the NAILE and it's sad that you can't see a huge difference in alot of breeds anymore. 3-way cross, my dad still believes Charolais are the "meanest" bulls and doesn't ever want one. To me, it just seems that Limousin seem to be the forgotten continental breed around here...people are using Gelbvieh and Simmis if they want to retain females...and Chars if they are seeking terminal. If they are going to use a continental breed at all. I realize that Limousin don't milk as well as Gelbs or Simmis, but I just wondered if it was just here that they weren't being utilized.
That being said...I plan on using Gelbvieh bulls myself ;-)

I'm gonna end up having to get another bull to go with the one I've got. I'm running a hereford and I'm been looking into Gelbvieh and Limousin. Probably gonna go with the Gelbvieh myself.

I was visiting France and had a chance to visit the limousine breeding center at Limoges a couple of months ago. I have to say when looking North American breeding and French, There is a huge difference. Europe has different type of view about quality of beef. No fat and no marbling, more muscle- higher price. Every breed are more and more looking like Belgian blue. Some of the limousines could hardly walk with all the muscle. Limousines need powerful feeding if you want results. Lots of grains.

Have to say that Limoge is impressive place!

I have posted pictures of 2 bulls this year. Any one with any dought about finding Limi bulls with muscle needs to look them up. I never have any trouble selling the limited amount of bulls i raise. Visited with another breeder in my area a few days ago who has sold out of bulls early this year. I think most all breeds are selling alot of bulls this year.
For the folks in Kentucky i checked the NALF website and found 35 breeder in Kentucky.

Red Bull , no disrespect, but I havent seen any current bulls that look like the ol school bulls of the 70's and early 80's. NALF thought they were gonna be as big as the Angus breed, and stared trying to produce an animal that would work in all programs. In doing so, they have killed the breed for most commercial breeders. We arnt trying to raise replacement heifers , we just want a bull that will put a butt and muscle on calves. Something that comes small and grows like a weed.

Red Bull Breeder":2o4w176r said:
I have posted pictures of 2 bulls this year. Any one with any dought about finding Limi bulls with muscle needs to look them up. .

I agree. The bulls I've seen my my area are well muscled. Contrary to what I'm hearing on this thread though, I don't see a lot of limi bulls except on limi cows. More limi cows with angus bulls and angus cows with angus bulls.

Houston i no what you are looking for, I no where to find them. You are right about NALF. 'Randy Pair out in Dublin Texas should be able to fix you up.

Red Bull, I havent checked with him in a few years, last time I did, the bulls had too much Harvest OLy bloodlines, also he is not in a part of Texas..that has similar climate and grass...lol....first I gotta get some cows

I have raise puerbred limi's for almost 20 years , I sell alot of limi bulls , I get alot of comments of how calm my cattle are and gentle my bulls are , I recently sold a guy from Florida 6 bulls , and he said he had been in the cattle business all his life and had used many different breeds of bulls and he had never seen bulls like these and they were pasture raised , not halter broke. In the last few years I have put togather a Purebred Angus herd to use to make Lim-Flex crosses with , and I must say the Limis are calmer cattle than the angus . My angus arent in anyway bad , but they will tend to kick at you and be a little more restless than the limis,As for the limis , I think they have improved about every aspect of the breed to a point now that most any good black limi will be as good as the next cow you compare her to as for the Maternal ability.

Howardbrosfarms.com

I think the more forgotten continental breed would be Salers, and they suffered from many of the same woes as limos and other breed when it comes to disposition, but a nearby rancher used to have a herd of Salers and never had trouble with wolves (cows would stick together and the calves between them), since we started going angus he's been losing a half dozen a year to wolves... I've had Salers mean as heck, and I've had them docile as puppies, it depends on the dam A LOT MORE than the bull

As for Limos, I've been considering them for some time, I think most of my cows are calm enough that even bred to a fiestier breed I'd be able to handle the calves alright.. It'll be a few years before I need another bull though, I've got "Arnold" the gelbvieh who's got about 3 to 4 years left in him before I start requiring replacements from his daughters, and I have our own 3/4 shorthorn as a backup

Its been several years since this thread was last visited- just curious if anyone's opinion has changed?

I'm in the west central Missouri area, and it appears the few Limo breeders we had around here that offered commercial bulls (most were small time/part time Limo) have almost disappeared. If you want a limo you have to go south and southwest, Ozarks country, to find anyone, and they appear to be thinning out down there as well.

Gelbvieh/Balancer bulls, on the other hand, have gotten really popular in this area. It seems everyone has/wants a balancer bull now.

Edit- just found this- not really in depth but interesting to me, if you read between the lines a bit:
http://www.limousinworld.com/?p=572

Well, since I last posted I bought a Limo bull and his first calves are hitting the ground now, and I like what I'm seeing. The bull is a big docile baby, no disposition problems there.

Here's the first one from one of my best cows at 16 days old

And a nice guy born last night to another great cow

I had fullblood Limousin cattle and the main fault was that they were too slow to grow.
Milk was a problem and disposition. Not bad in the pasture but when working them.
I went to a purebred sale in Tallahassee. A cow sold and then jumped the ring and ran across the bleachers where buyers were sitting. They said "Don't worry. She'll be fine when you get her home."
They have much better Limousins in Europe.
They like them in Ireland. I had some that I thought that only the horns grew.

Latest posts