Charolais vs Limousin

Help Support CattleToday:

Gators Rule said:
farmfowls said:
If we're talking purebred to purebred which would be best? In comparison to each other. If you could give me a list of pros and cons based on your experience or knowledge for each that would be great.

Are we talking black or white Char, and are we talking in comparison to black or red Limousin?

:tiphat:

Actually didn't realize there were black Charolais. But I am referring to White Charolais and Red Limousin. I would be interested in hearing the differences between all of those variations though.

cow pollinater said:
How are you planning to use them? I've had quite a few of both. As a terminal the char would be my choice. They'll put more growth on the calves on a breed to breed comparison. The calves sell decent in most places and everyone knows what they are. There are a lot of good char bulls out there that can help you out if you're careful. I've bred quite a few heifers to char bulls for customers and have never had a problem with calving ease but again, you'll want to pick and choose a little. Disposition can be an issue but most are tolerable.
For the cow herd, I really like limi cows, especially with a little hereford in the mix somewhere. They're not going to crank out whopper calves but if I were to sort my cows(that I no longer have) into groups based on condition at weaning time the limi cows would all be in the upper half of the herd and their calves would sell right in the middle. Very easy keeping.
As far as disposition, there are nutcases in both breeds but you won't find any other breed that has made as much improvement as limis have. Most of them are downright gentle.

So are you saying use Char bulls as a terminal sire on Limo cows? Or are you meaning if you're doing terminal mating in general you would rather use Char over Limos?

farmfowls said:
So are you saying use Char bulls as a terminal sire on Limo cows? Or are you meaning if you're doing terminal mating in general you would rather use Char over Limos?
I personally wouldn't mix the two. I'm saying terminal in general.

cow pollinater said:
farmfowls said:
I personally wouldn't mix the two. I'm saying terminal in general.

Have mixed both in both ways. Both crosses are pretty similar- a good size yellow calf at birth, which is growing very well and looks like slightly more muscled charolais. Overall a nice cross if you want heavy nicely shaped weanlings. Heifers make pretty good cows, but they aren't for those who doesn't need bigger cows.

This one is from Charolais bull and limousinex cow. She had two calves and is truly a very big girl. Very easy calving and has plenty of milk. Her dam was very milky and her sire is known for very good daughters.
DSCF3011.jpg

This one is from Limousine bull and Charolaisx cow. She's 23months old in the pic. A big heifer and will grow into a very big cow.
DSCF3099.jpg

Another limx heifer from charx cow. Full sister to the one above. She's 3months old in the pic.
DSCF3016.jpg

They both have their pros and cons, but the only breed that can clean up Brahman leather and ears better than a full bloodlLimi is a full blood Chi, and their are very few of those around.

houstoncutter said:
They both have their pros and cons, but the only breed that can clean up Brahman leather and ears better than a full bloodlLimi is a full blood Chi, and their are very few of those around.

Brahman amd Chianina would make for some long legs, maybe the Brahman part could increase the milk. Used to be a feller up the road from here had a herd of Bramousins. I never could get a real good look at them, as soon as they saw somebody they were gone and all you saw was a quick glance at their tails.

Latest posts