limousin bull on heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":3bkr4kqm said:
Wrong bred to a black bull even a black angus alot of calves will have a white strip down there back along with white legs. Red or white will give more solid colors on a longhorn cow than black.
Red Bull Breeder":3bkr4kqm said:
Wrong bred to a black bull even a black angus alot of calves will have a white strip down there back along with white legs. Red or white will give more solid colors on a longhorn cow than black.
I'm not wrong. If you read the whole one sentence post, I said that's what the cross bred LHs I have will throw when bred to black, running a brangus now.
20120517180047.jpg

A calving ease Limousin bull will work fine on Longhorn cows. If you are using a black one make sure he is homozygous black. That might help with more solid color calves.

Circle H Ranch

TexasBred":3kljxgch said:
longhornlover3498":3kljxgch said:
the only bulls that go to sale are the polled black ones. the spotted bulls are cut at branding and either kept for meat or sold as meat steers to our friends and neighbors. the bulls that go to sale usually fetch from 1200-1500 dollars. and weigh about 1200 lbs when sold. you'd be impressed by our bulls at 15 months and people even come to the ranch and make us offers :) so longhorns arent that bad.
A 1000-1200 lb. longhorn bull at one year?? You must keep him on full feed. Most won't way 700 lbs.
grass at weaning and hay in winter also salt block is available at all times and a weekly ration of sweet feed mix.

Cattleman200":33g4pbba said:
A calving ease Limousin bull will work fine on Longhorn cows. If you are using a black one make sure he is homozygous black. That might help with more solid color calves.

Circle H Ranch
he is. have any of you heard of terry o'neill?

Cattleman200":3hpjhqge said:
have any of you heard of terry o'neill?

yes I have heard of him. I know the Colemans in Montana also.

Circle H Ranch
i don't really know of the colemans but,terry is who we're buying our bull from.

not sure if we will still be able to get that limo bull now :( i was getting a youth loan and before i was just using my grandpas brand for my cows. now i have to send a application to helena and it can take up to 5 months to get it approved. we need those heifers bred by next month. we contacted a ranch that raises all natural south devon cattle. they said they might be able to lease us a bull but i have heard that south devons are kinda small?

How are you going to lease a bull if state Trich laws prohibit the sale/transfer of non-virgin bulls for breeding purposes?

i didnt really think of it like that before. we are kinda desperate for a heifer bull right now though. if we dont get one the main herd bull will get turned out anyway in mid july and our 2013 calves will be inbred. :yuck:

:shock: I understand where your at, we had one bull break his leg and another have a heart attack the week before breeding started a few years ago and it certainly was a scramble! If you don't have too many to do what about natural service AI? Or even sinc'ing them to get done faster, it might take a bit more work but you could certainly pick the exact bull you wanted and be done for around $30-50 a head to get it done? I'm not trying to be criticle i was just wondering as there are laws concerning transfer of non-virgin bulls due to trich problems around the state lately. I hope you can get a bull figured out soon!

Latest posts