limousin bull on heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

longhornlover3498

Reaction score
what do ya'll think of limousins? we are planning to breed our 2 yr old and yearling longhorn and maximizer cross heifers to a black one and i was just wondering what you guys think of that. :D

Taurus":15izy9ao said:
What is your goals on the calves? Assuming that you sell your calves to the sale barn right?
well our original cows were longhorns and they are some of the best mothers and great foragers and they are so beautiful. we want our sires to be black because most our calves come out black and thats what the buyers want but,we are not ready to get rid of the longhorns completly. so basically what we want is low-ave. birth weight,long back,good mothers,docile disposition,polled,a tall cow at maturity and a well muscled bull calf at a year. we take our bull calves to the sale barn at 15 months old and heifers at a year.

longhornlover3498":9ypqa01e said:
Taurus":9ypqa01e said:
What is your goals on the calves? Assuming that you sell your calves to the sale barn right?
well our original cows were longhorns and they are some of the best mothers and great foragers and they are so beautiful. we want our sires to be black because most our calves come out black and thats what the buyers want but,we are not ready to get rid of the longhorns completly. so basically what we want is low-ave. birth weight,long back,good mothers,docile disposition,polled,a tall cow at maturity and a well muscled bull calf at a year. we take our bull calves to the sale barn at 15 months old and heifers at a year.

:shock: Why is that?

SSGenetics":3a31i2xi said:
longhornlover3498":3a31i2xi said:
Taurus":3a31i2xi said:

:shock: Why is that?
My guess....blame on the longhorn genetics.

OMG why does everyone put down my longhorns?!?! :mad: we take all our yearling bulls at that age because then they are ready for breeding and our heifers can be purchased for meat or be bred to a bull of the buyers choice. we have pastures set aside for our weanlings so we don't have to worry about space. and also we get more for our animals if they weigh more. and longhorns aren't the only type we raise...

Most times a straight longhorn calf is not the fastest growing calf around. A good longhorn cow can raise as good of cross bred calf as any other cow. A limousin bull with a good calving ease numbers will work good on your heifers. Try taking the nuts off them bull calves and selling them at around 7 or 8 months old. Might find yourself a few more dollars.

What Red Bull said will be your best bet. I personally wouldn't want to buy a Limo x Longhorn bull as a breeding bull. Way to much variation in it's genetics. You are probably getting seriously docked bringing a 15 month old intact male of this cross to the sale barn. More money as a steer at 7 or 8 months old as a lean beef option.

the only bulls that go to sale are the polled black ones. the spotted bulls are cut at branding and either kept for meat or sold as meat steers to our friends and neighbors. the bulls that go to sale usually fetch from 1200-1500 dollars. and weigh about 1200 lbs when sold. you'd be impressed by our bulls at 15 months and people even come to the ranch and make us offers :) so longhorns arent that bad.

longhornlover3498":2d5x86hc said:
the only bulls that go to sale are the polled black ones. the spotted bulls are cut at branding and either kept for meat or sold as meat steers to our friends and neighbors. the bulls that go to sale usually fetch from 1200-1500 dollars. and weigh about 1200 lbs when sold. you'd be impressed by our bulls at 15 months and people even come to the ranch and make us offers :) so longhorns arent that bad.

So you are really only getting slaughter bull prices. Slaughter bulls around here will sell for 1.00 to 1.10 per pound. Good luck on your program. I hope it works out well for you.

HOSS":2meb190j said:
longhornlover3498":2meb190j said:

So you are really only getting slaughter bull prices. Slaughter bulls around here will sell for 1.00 to 1.10 per pound. Good luck on your program. I hope it works out well for you.
still though even if they are for slaughter they are some gorgeous animals. we occasionally sell private treaty.

longhornlover3498":kcbgm5vf said:
HOSS":kcbgm5vf said:
longhornlover3498":kcbgm5vf said:

still though even if they are for slaughter they are some gorgeous animals. we occasionally sell private treaty.
Honesty I think you are better off with turning these bulls into steers at early age. Who would buying some crossbred longhorn bulls?

longhornlover3498":1cuvibw4 said:
A 1000-1200 lb. longhorn bull at one year?? You must keep him on full feed. Most won't way 700 lbs.

TexasBred":2ujmqqkm said:
longhornlover3498":2ujmqqkm said:
A 1000-1200 lb. longhorn bull at one year?? You must keep him on full feed. Most won't way 700 lbs.

He says that they are 15 months for that weight. :2cents:

Taurus":vmq0hq9r said:
If I read right, only bulls that goes to the sale barn is the polled black bulls....(I hope they aint longhorns!)
Bred to a polled black bull longhorns will throw mostly solid colored and polled, and least that's what the longhorn crosses that I have throw.

Wrong bred to a black bull even a black angus alot of calves will have a white strip down there back along with white legs. Red or white will give more solid colors on a longhorn cow than black.

heath":3g6ftn45 said:
Taurus":3g6ftn45 said:
If I read right, only bulls that goes to the sale barn is the polled black bulls....(I hope they aint longhorns!)
Bred to a polled black bull longhorns will throw mostly solid colored and polled, and least that's what the longhorn crosses that I have throw.
I'm more concerned about why these polled black longhorn crosses weren't fixed.

Taurus":1qohp6qv said:
heath":1qohp6qv said:
Taurus":1qohp6qv said:
I'm more concerned about why these polled black longhorn crosses weren't fixed.
I can see their usefulness on heifers for low bw calves, but that would be about it

Latest posts