Bull testing

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you test all your bulls every year ? If so, do some that passed the previous year fail the following year ?

Yes and yes. Bulls are self destruction train wrecks waiting to happen.
Just good management! We test every year, but a lot of people around here don't. And end up with open cows. Neighbor to the north didn't test 2 years ago and not a single cow was bred. See, that's what can happen if you don't provide bedding during an epic freeze.

One of my fave bulls still passed one year but his sperm was starting to coil. And that was his last year. Why risk it?

There was a black bull in a couple of your pictures, that looked like a very solid built guy.
Hope he passed okey.

One failure is an $11,000 two year old that is insured. Sounds like he will live the life of Reilly here until they decide to pay or not.

Will the Insurance pay the full purchase price, or the difference between purchase price and hamburger price ?
:unsure: It is perfectly okay to ignore my question :)

Just good management! We test every year, but a lot of people around here don't. And end up with open cows. Neighbor to the north didn't test 2 years ago and not a single cow was bred. See, that's what can happen if you don't provide bedding during an epic freeze.

One of my fave bulls still passed one year but his sperm was starting to coil. And that was his last year. Why risk it?
Were your neighbours just using the one bull TC? I guess people get complacent but even if you didn't test in situations like that it is not that hard to write down cow numbers and dates of when the bull is wining and dining a lady and then check again in 3 weeks to make sure there is no more romance.

Ken

Were your neighbours just using the one bull TC? I guess people get complacent but even if you didn't test in situations like that it is not that hard to write down cow numbers and dates of when the bull is wining and dining a lady and then check again in 3 weeks to make sure there is no more romance.

Ken
To me this is more or as critical as a BSE. BSE says he has a penis and it's loaded. Doesn't say anything about if he knows how or cares to use the gun. I realize that's probably harder for cows on range.

Latest posts