Limousin beef question

Help Support CattleToday:

I believe the poster meant that 65-70% is the hanging carcass wt percent of the live weight.

Actual packaged beef will be anywhere from 45-65% of the hanging carcass weight depending on how cut - bone in or boneless, etc are you taking brisket and soup bones etc. and the particular animal's characteristics.

In general for beef breeds and typical mixed cuts no organs no bones overall yield from live weigth to package weight is 60% x 60% or a bit more than 1/3 of the live weight. Limos may be a bit higher 35 or 36% but depends a lot on your packaging cutting prefs.

Then a 1000lb live wt beef animal should yield about 350 lb of lean packaged beef if cut with no bone in etc

Lims are a high yielding breed but the actual percentage will depend on the individual animal and how it is raised...some steers are just bigger and fatter than others.
We figure 60% of live to hanging and a 35-38% loss from hanging to meat packages.
A 10 wt Limousin steer is a bit on the small side...we like to process at 1200+ lbs and a well finished Lim can easily hang at 800#.
Our two year Lim bull hung at 935# and was 1495# live and was very well muscled.
Hope this helps...DMc

tncattle":1vwajby2 said:
So you can expect 650 pds. of red meat you can consume?
Only if you want to eat the whole thing bones and everything , also I think 65% of live wt. would be a little high for a 1000 lber . Limos are large framed animals and should be quite a bit heavier to reach their full potential.

We have 5 Limis we are selling for beef hopefully in late fall. First time doing this and we are just trying to figure out numbers and things to arrive at a selling price. They are all purebred Limis except one that is 75% Limi. Here is their current weights, I'm just guessing as they were weighed a little while back. 870, 840, 760, 700 and 670. I wish their weights were more in line with each other but they are what they are. They are in with three other Angus cross and are getting 100 pds. of feed a day. We chose Limis because most of the people buying from us are interested in lean beef quality. It seems everyone has a little different opinion on when the Limis should be butchered, the breeder we bought them from says he has sold his Limis for butcher at around 1000 pds. for 15 years with good success. I will try and get some good pics of them soon.

Latest posts