Limo, Simmi or Gelbvieh?

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
If you were to buy a bull to cross with blk angus cows, which would increase weaning weights the quickest? -Central Minnesota

Him and you will love the baldies.

JE_ELI.jpg

Red Bull Breeder":2jzi2ely said:
He is sure enough a good looking bull 3way!

One of my cousins bulls out of his flush cow! I think that is the one they sold a ton of semen from in South America.

Thought i would throw the fake sim folks a curveball...........no offense Jeanne i am just kidding!

FWIW i truly believe that Gelbvieh cattle make a great cross on Angus. and i do not raise fullbloods I raise purebreds.

Mncowboy you got a large Limousin breeder in Morris Mn. Wulf limousin should be having a spring bull sale before long. I think they will even offer to buy your calves.

AllForage":12b075w5 said:
3way,

What size calves would one expect from that guy?

Isn't that kinda like asking me what's a henway. It depends on the hen. Truth is i have no idea what his bw epd's or real life results. He is one of my cousins real nice lookin Fleck bulls and i just threw him out there. I will see my cousin at the Pot O Gold bull sale in 2 weeks and i will ask him what kind of birthweights they get out of those full fleck bulls with Angus cows these days!

I am not sure that there is a huge WW difference with these three Cont. breeds. You could look at EPDs if you are a numbers guy. Are you are retaining heifers ???
With the lines we had - - you will end up with more live calves with Limi, rather than Simmi, cross. Wulf is the real deal They have been selling Limi for a long time and now one of them (Jim?) has started a Simi herd too.\
Limi flex was the best group of feeder calves we have raised so far, but no GV calves on the ground yet.
My thought is that the quickest way to increase weaning weight is to cull cows. This is even more true if you use a high growth bull.

Simmental7":c6hdws9t said:
3waycross":c6hdws9t said:

JE_ELI.jpg
3way.... Do you think the calves would have socks/shoes and a whole lot of white on there belly?

I suppose they could. I imagine they would just be big old baldies. Probably a lot of blaze faces.

3waycross":1hdwd4l4 said:

JE_ELI.jpg

3way- where can a guy get semen on that bull?

I believe he would work great on my Galloway / Angus females for some awesome blaze face cows.

A full fleck on angus cows would result in some baldies, but not typically belly white or white legs. I love the look of the fleck, and wish they were more accepted. Some of our cows have an 1/8th fleck in them, and they are some of our best milkers! Not that simmis have problems with milk...

mncowboy,

Though I am not sure about weaning weights, I recently saw a presentation in which data from the Meat Animal Research Center had Charolais with the highest yearling weights. If I remember correctly Angus and Simmental were 2nd, and Gelbvieh was next. Limousin was quite a bit lower in their YWs. Now, that being said, there is a tremendous amount of variability within breeds, and if you prefer Limmys, there are some Limousin bulls that can compete with the other breeds on growth.

If you are planning on keeping back heifers as replacements, I would go with Gelbvieh or Simmentals. Even if you aren't planning on retaining heifers yourself, with the North American cow numbers so low, once we get back to more normal weather patterns (no drought) high quality heifers are going to be worth a premium. So, you may want to determine what breeds of heifers sell best in your market and use that to help determine what breed of bull to go with.

Latest posts