Limi Yearling Wt. Rank?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have seen several articles on how Angus are getting bigger. I have two local BA seedstock operations with 700 to 800# weaning wts so I agree with this.
When they compare yearling wts by breed I sometimes see Limi towards the bottom... I was thrilled that mine averaged 680# and just don't understand the ranking.
What is up here?

It's not just that if my information is correct. I'm looking at an extension publication about cow size and nutrient requirements and the table, which I will type below is for 5 year old's. Look at which breeds are the heaviest.

Table 1
Breed 5-year-old weight, lbs.
Hereford 1419
Angus 1410
Red Angus 1409
Simmental 1404
Gelbvieh 1323
Limousin 1391
Charolais 1371

Don't know how these weighs ended up this way, but that's what the extension publication shows.

Stocker Steve":18fpnkoe said:
I have seen several articles on how Angus are getting bigger. I have two local BA seedstock operations with 700 to 800# weaning wts so I agree with this.
When they compare yearling wts by breed I sometimes see Limi towards the bottom... I was thrilled that mine averaged 680# and just don't understand the ranking.
What is up here?
Down in this area big Lemis have legs, big black angus look like spayed dachshunds.

My neighbor said he noticed the same thing when he went to purchase a Charolais bull. Said it was a lot shorter legged than those he'd gotten in the past, although I haven't actually seen it.

Can't speak for the others, but the Simmental breed has moderated their size a lot. We have been striving to cut off the legs & keep the deep thick, easy fleshing bodies - and still trying to maintain length - which is the hard part.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":19ndbuon said:
Can't speak for the others, but the Simmental breed has moderated their size a lot. We have been striving to cut off the legs & keep the deep thick, easy fleshing bodies - and still trying to maintain length - which is the hard part.

Doggone it Jeannie...now the Simme's are going weany dog on us. :cboy:

TexasBred":1xgpbnh2 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1xgpbnh2 said:

Doggone it Jeannie...now the Simme's are going weany dog on us. :cboy:
:lol: you are right! but you would be surprised how hard it is to mimic that breed.

Limi cattle come in all size from big to little. I have had limousin cows that weighed 1600lb and have had a few as small 800lb. The history of limousin cattle will tell you that the breed should be moderate framed cattle.

Red Bull Breeder":r5fjs4jc said:
Limi cattle come in all size from big to little. I have had limousin cows that weighed 1600lb and have had a few as small 800lb. The history of limousin cattle will tell you that the breed should be moderate framed cattle.

When you look at the Wulf catalog there is a lot of variation in BW - 60s to over 100#. There is a range in frame size also.

Red Bull Breeder":e1cttmfl said:
Wulf has a lot of cattle and a large customer base. They raise different types of cattle to fit different customer needs.

Not unlike the sale barn...somebody wants every cow there. They all sell. ;-)

Latest posts