Limi Longevity

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
There is a good disposition reg. Limi dispersal coming up. They have a lot of heifers and coming 3 year olds. I am more interested in some of the older cows - - coming 6 years olds and coming 10 year olds.

How long should a sound 10 year old limi cow be expected to produce on good forage? Many of my shorthorns last till 14 or 15 years old.

How much price differential would you think is reasonable between a 3, 6, and 10 year old bred cows from the same bloodline?

Red Bull Breeder":250sbbg4 said:
I have had several last till they were 15 to 16 years old. Had one we keep till she was 25. Got a couple now that is 14 and15.

One could only guess how many working pens and chutes she would have jumped over by the time she reached 25. :shock: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: ;-)

Red Bull Breeder":3dq4jfj2 said:
I will match mine agin yours for docitilty any time you want to feller's. I guess if you can't beat them you just cuss them. :lol:
no deal,,, i got brahman influence in my herd... it limits my stone throwin' :cowboy:

Stocker Steve":17ts8r4l said:
There is a good disposition reg. Limi dispersal coming up. They have a lot of heifers and coming 3 year olds. I am more interested in some of the older cows - - coming 6 years olds and coming 10 year olds.

How long should a sound 10 year old limi cow be expected to produce on good forage? Many of my shorthorns last till 14 or 15 years old.

How much price differential would you think is reasonable between a 3, 6, and 10 year old bred cows from the same bloodline?

I saw one at Circle H that was 18 and still in good shape, except she only had a couple of teeth left.

3waycross":wl0qpixk said:
Red Bull Breeder":wl0qpixk said:
I have had several last till they were 15 to 16 years old. Had one we keep till she was 25. Got a couple now that is 14 and15.

One could only guess how many working pens and chutes she would have jumped over by the time she reached 25. :shock: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: ;-)

:lol2:

Red Bull Breeder":3b9iedov said:

I have never had old cows jump over the corral, but I did buy some old Char cross bitches that were very hard to get into it.

Once a sound cow make 6 to 10 years old, what percentage produce for another 5 years?

RD-Sam":x1goypp6 said:
3waycross":x1goypp6 said:
Red Bull Breeder":x1goypp6 said:

:lol2:

:lol2: :lol2: Yep-- and up here where they have to hustle for their grub I don't think I've ever saw an "old Limi"-- most get culled young for coming in open or bred late...Then the ones I had that stuck around for a couple years- would stand behind the wind break and shiver half the winter, while all the old angus and herefords were out grazing.....

It really doesn't make any difference what BREED they are. If they are sound structurally and have good udders - you should be OK for a few years (and they are bred ON TIME!!! - you need fertility also)

Red Bull Breeder":1x2gx602 said:
I will match mine agin yours for docitilty any time you want to feller's. I guess if you can't beat them you just cuss them. :lol:

RBB you might lose that bet but I hope you know I was just funnin you a bit. For what it's worth my friend who runs over 5000 pairs has a pretty hi Limi influence in his cowherd and it helps him a lot on dealing with his summer pastures which are over 9000 feet. These folks are some real good hands with cattle and frankly they don't give a hoot about a cow being tuff to work just as long as she raises a good calf on time every year.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":qqufjmft said:
It really doesn't make any difference what BREED they are. If they are sound structurally and have good udders - you should be OK for a few years (and they are bred ON TIME!!! - you need fertility also)

Agreed

I ain't worried about losing the bet 3way, i know what i got for cows. Been raising limi cross cattle for 30 years don't got no idiots because i won't let a idiot stay on the place. Its all fun.

Red Bull Breeder":nkwa0tv1 said:

I've sold a number of bulls (angus) to limi herds - never had one complain about disposition - nor did I see any disposition problems in the herds when I dropped off the bulls. I always find this conversation on limis and disposition interesting because I've not seen/heard it.

It goes back to a few bulls years ago angus9259. The old 747 bull caused more doctilty issues than any other bull in the breed.They were a few more besides him. Limousin has had a doctilty epd longer than any other breed because of those few bulls, and that is why you are not seeing any disposition problems when you deliver bulls.

:lol2: :lol2: Yep-- and up here where they have to hustle for their grub I don't think I've ever saw an "old Limi"-- most get culled young for coming in open or bred late...Then the ones I had that stuck around for a couple years- would stand behind the wind break and shiver half the winter, while all the old angus and herefords were out grazing.....[/quote] this makes no sense .you guys telling red bull his cattle are goofy just shows everyone what childish dipshits you are.I have been through the same thing red bull.I have tigerstripe cattle.therefore they are crazy from what everyone on these boards tells me. :roll:

bishopcattleco":jq3gs4lt said:
:lol2: :lol2: Yep-- and up here where they have to hustle for their grub I don't think I've ever saw an "old Limi"-- most get culled young for coming in open or bred late...Then the ones I had that stuck around for a couple years- would stand behind the wind break and shiver half the winter, while all the old angus and herefords were out grazing.....
this makes no sense .you guys telling red bull his cattle are goofy just shows everyone what childish dipshits you are.I have been through the same thing red bull.I have tigerstripe cattle.therefore they are crazy from what everyone on these boards tells me. :roll:[/quote]

==================================

Well bishop- not telling anyone his cows are goofy- they just haven't shown me they work here....

Back in the 60's all the college professors and "experts" were telling us that "continentals are the only way to go- if you don't breed continentals the market will pass you and you won't be able to market your cattle :roll: "-- so I tried them ...And one of the breeds I tried crossing into the old long proven base of hereford/angus was Limousin-using the top (only) AI bulls available- and like I described- they were a disaster.... :(

Then around 2000- I saw Future Beef come around- and offer folks big premiums if they produced cattle the way they wanted them.....One of the requirements was that these cattle had to be 1/4 to 1/2 Continental (NO SALERS)- and they were more apt to buy your cattle if the sires came their investors- some of which happened to be Limousin seedstock producers....

Many folks in my area bought full and half blood limos- ran them on their long established British (hereford/angus) herds-- and then as normal kept the 10-20% replacements (which then steadily increased) ....Well-- Future Beef went broke in about 2002- but some kept using these high priced bulls they had bought for another 3-4-5 years- and by the time they realized the wreck that was coming with infertility/disposition/ and high input costs - and cattle that couldn't adapt to the semi desert frigid conditions it was too late....Their old long term built up herds were lost-- their cattle were coming in much higher than the normal opens- and these high input required cows were no longer producing normal weight calves .....

Several smartened up quickly and started buying all their replacement heifers- others are still struggling to get their herds back to what their fathers and grandfathers built up....

So bishopcattleco-- come on up and have a look- and look at the records/weights of the cattle I have inspected for 40 years before you cry childish...And I never even touched that much on the disposition or infertility problems of the cattle- bulls that wouldn't test 2nd year around....

Their is a reason for the saying "Limousin- Big Butts- NO NUTTS"!!!