Limi - Jersey cross heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

frieghttrain":32nsclaf said:
Muddy":32nsclaf said:
frieghttrain":32nsclaf said:
I doubt anyone makes this cross. At least I haven't heard anything about the cross.
Wrong there Holm this is a very popular cross amoung the dairy people
Sorry you couldnt find any Morancher
No Holm25 is correct...in fact we never heard of anyone doing Limousin on their dairy cows. Most dairies usually stick with either Angus, Hereford, Beef Shorthorn or Simmental as terminal.
Well now! My SS rep says that's the #1 selling semen right now. Using beef shorthorn on dairy well I can't say I see the benifits.
Never seen a single Limousin x dairy calf at the sale barn...so much for being "popular" cross.

Son of Butch":ncx6yx9w said:
Boot Jack Bulls":ncx6yx9w said:
Given the price of cattle lately, wouldn't it be wiser to just use beef bred females to begin with. I understand the thought process behind breeding your dairy heifers to beef bulls if you are a dairy farmer, but if you aren't, why bother?
A.I. breeding the top 1/3 of a dairy herd to sexed semen and the rest to beef bulls has become popular with dairymen.
Many with Jersey dairy herds have found using Limousin is their best cross for dairy beef as both the heifer calves
and the bulls sell better for them than the other breeds. Limi bulls nick well with Jersey cows and the Jersey has
no problem calving with Limousin, as some might think. Limousin knocks the milk out of a dairy cow and Limi x Jersey
females can make a respectable F1 beef cow provided that when you're selecting replacement heifers you don't
choose any that too closely resemble a Jersey heifer. I'm sure morancher has his reasons for wanting them.

This is a decent cross if you are wanting to keep the heifers for possible replacements. In this area the popular crosses with the dairy farms is basically as SOB said... breed the top 1/3 of the herd to sexed dairy semen, then the rest to beef. It is getting more popular since the straight dairy heifers are worth very little now. However in this area they are using black... angus or black limi . The biggest problem is that the heifers will have udder and milking issues. They can often raise a 2nd calf due to higher milk production...or they can get mastitis from too much milk and the calf not using it all. The limi does tend to knock out some of the milkiness so that they do not get as much of the udder issues. The thing here, so many that buy these black calves do so to graft on a beef cow that has lost a calf, or want to raise a couple of black calves up to sell as feeders later on. The jersey cross makes some pretty good eating and will put on more meat than a straight jersey calf of course.
With replacement dairy heifers, springing, not worth 1,000 at this time, a supposed "surplus" of milk and milk prices at the lowest imaginable in the $14.50 to $16.00 per hundred wt., the dairy farmers are going out of business and those staying in are looking for any way they can to make the calves worth more. Holstein bull calves are bringing $10. to $50. and heifers are less. The black calves are in the $50 to $150 if someone needs one to go on a cow. This time of year there are fall calving beef herds so there is more of a possibility of needing a calf to graft on a cow.
Holstein feeder steers in the 4-600 wts are down, in the 40's and 50's again. That was where prices were 20 years ago... it is not a good situation right now.

I still don't see the benefit of buying these cross heifers for a beef operation. I have no doubt Limi X Jersey calves make good terminal animals, Riverview has proven that on an enormous scale! My point it, when purchasing replacement females and wanting Limi influence, I personally would be more inclined to look at Lim-flex females. They are generally moderate in frame, growthy and bring together the best of both worlds. I would think the would be easier to procure as well...

farmerjan":333vl2lb said:
Holstein feeder steers in the 4-600 wts are down, in the 40's and 50's again.
Last week I bought 425 lb hol steers for 60 cents lb... with horns, rough hair coat and needed to be worked and some
900 lb holstein steers implanted and well started on feed for 67 cents.
I bid a group of top quality 425 lb holstein steers up to 95 cents and didn't get them.... they had all their work done.

Boot Jack Bulls":1g50o90d said:
I still don't see the benefit of buying these cross heifers for a beef operation. I have no doubt Limi X Jersey calves make good terminal animals, Riverview has proven that on an enormous scale! My point it, when purchasing replacement females and wanting Limi influence, I personally would be more inclined to look at Lim-flex females. They are generally moderate in frame, growthy and bring together the best of both worlds. I would think the would be easier to procure as well...

Dairy beef accounts for almost 23% of the beef produced in the US. Dairy beef also has a higher percentage of animals that yield a prime carcass (2 - 3 times the rate as beef breeds). It is estimated that 30 - 40% of prime beef is from dairy beef.

So with that in mind, a dairy x beef cross cow bred to a good beef bull should produce a better carcass!

Muddy":ud3rygnq said:
frieghttrain":ud3rygnq said:
Muddy":ud3rygnq said:
No Holm25 is correct...in fact we never heard of anyone doing Limousin on their dairy cows. Most dairies usually stick with either Angus, Hereford, Beef Shorthorn or Simmental as terminal.
Well now! My SS rep says that's the #1 selling semen right now. Using beef shorthorn on dairy well I can't say I see the benifits.
Never seen a single Limousin x dairy calf at the sale barn...so much for being "popular" cross.
I'm sure you get to all the sale barns my bad :roll: Not to mention most bull calves are sold private treaty and raised till slaughter.

frieghttrain":b3bwuaka said:
Muddy":b3bwuaka said:
frieghttrain":b3bwuaka said:
I'm sure you get to all the sale barns my bad :roll: Not to mention most bull calves are sold private treaty and raised till slaughter.
Yeah right :roll:

@Muddy, you must just not be in an area where these dairy and dairy cross calves are in demand. Here there are many sold directly off the farm. A couple of farms do not ship calves to the markets, they are bought directly by certain buyers. The dairies will make sure the calves have had colostrum, and are doing good and usually are 2-4 days old before they leave the farm; some up to a week. You do not run the risk of the new calf being exposed to every germ and disease known to man like when they go through the sale barn. I only buy off the farm. Sometimes I buy 1-2 a week, sometimes only 1-2 a month. Have a couple of farms that I only buy from as I know those calves are going to live and thrive, because the farmer makes sure they get a good start. A farmer will take a little less than maybe the market is bringing at certain times of the year, knowing that the calf will be picked up within 24 hours of calling the calf buyer. Other times of the year they might be getting more than the calf will bring at the sale; like right now they are at near giveaway prices. The farmer figures that it averages out, the calves are picked up, they do not have to pay costs to haul them to the sale, or charges/commissions to be sold.
If the calf is a black limi x dairy, most people cannot distinguish the difference than if they are black angus x dairy. I have a couple and really could not see much difference in the 3 day olds. When they get a little more growth it usually shows more. I've gotten both and have no qualms about either. If crossed with a holstein, the angus x usually do not show much white, but the limi x seem to show some white on feet ot tail from the holstein. With a jer x that is not an issue.

@SOB; sat at the sale for about an hour today and watched a couple of brown swiss bull calves in the 250 range bring $.20 lb. YEP, giveaway prices. They might have had something else in them as they were much more lively than pure swiss usually are, maybe some limi as they had the distinctive face coloring .... saw 3 first calf heifers with 200 lb calves that brought right at $650 and $700 for one. They needed some feed, a bit on the thin side; and udders were small. But I think some feed would have really made a difference. Didn't have the trailer and it was raining and crappy out and didn't feel like messing with them. Got some bills to pay soon and probably won't be selling any more calves for a bit since prices are depressed. Couple of the buyers are saying one problem is no trucks available to haul them due to usual heavy fall selling. Plus it is late this year due to the wet conditions earlier. 1500 head today. What steers I watched were in the 1.25 to a few 1.50 and bulls 1.10 to 1.30 for some 375 to 450 wts. Not very good..... heifers were in the .80's last week I was told..... OUCH.

farmerjan":1sosgvxm said:
@Muddy, you must just not be in an area where these dairy and dairy cross calves are in demand. Here there are many sold directly off the farm. A couple of farms do not ship calves to the markets, they are bought directly by certain buyers. The dairies will make sure the calves have had colostrum, and are doing good and usually are 2-4 days old before they leave the farm; some up to a week. You do not run the risk of the new calf being exposed to every germ and disease known to man like when they go through the sale barn. I only buy off the farm. Sometimes I buy 1-2 a week, sometimes only 1-2 a month. Have a couple of farms that I only buy from as I know those calves are going to live and thrive, because the farmer makes sure they get a good start. A farmer will take a little less than maybe the market is bringing at certain times of the year, knowing that the calf will be picked up within 24 hours of calling the calf buyer. Other times of the year they might be getting more than the calf will bring at the sale; like right now they are at near giveaway prices. The farmer figures that it averages out, the calves are picked up, they do not have to pay costs to haul them to the sale, or charges/commissions to be sold.
If the calf is a black limi x dairy, most people cannot distinguish the difference than if they are black angus x dairy. I have a couple and really could not see much difference in the 3 day olds. When they get a little more growth it usually shows more. I've gotten both and have no qualms about either. If crossed with a holstein, the angus x usually do not show much white, but the limi x seem to show some white on feet ot tail from the holstein. With a jer x that is not an issue.

@SOB; sat at the sale for about an hour today and watched a couple of brown swiss bull calves in the 250 range bring $.20 lb. YEP, giveaway prices. They might have had something else in them as they were much more lively than pure swiss usually are, maybe some limi as they had the distinctive face coloring .... saw 3 first calf heifers with 200 lb calves that brought right at $650 and $700 for one. They needed some feed, a bit on the thin side; and udders were small. But I think some feed would have really made a difference. Didn't have the trailer and it was raining and crappy out and didn't feel like messing with them. Got some bills to pay soon and probably won't be selling any more calves for a bit since prices are depressed. Couple of the buyers are saying one problem is no trucks available to haul them due to usual heavy fall selling. Plus it is late this year due to the wet conditions earlier. 1500 head today. What steers I watched were in the 1.25 to a few 1.50 and bulls 1.10 to 1.30 for some 375 to 450 wts. Not very good..... heifers were in the .80's last week I was told..... OUCH.
Farmerjan, how do you know I wasn't in the area? Did you went to check on me where I lives?

Most common dairy x beef calves I seen were usually Angus or Hereford crosses with few Sim mixed in. Lot of white faced calves coming off the local dairies.

Muddy":4j10xlhh said:
frieghttrain":4j10xlhh said:
Muddy":4j10xlhh said:
Yeah right :roll:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: I just didn't want to be left out :lol:

Muddy, I must've misunderstood. Maybe you are being "sarcastic" when you made the comment "yeah right" to the post that freighttrain wrote. I have no idea where you are except a "cold place". Maybe you have dairies all around you. But I do know for a fact that there are several that are using angus, simmental and limi semen on their lower half of the dairy herd cows, and often a black calf can be any of those 3 crosses. And they are definitely in a greater demand than any straight bred holstein bull calves and jersey bull calves are giveaway prices. Have watched many go through the sale barn north of me where there are still alot of dairies. The ones that take calves there will get 2-4 times the money on a black calf...beef-dairy cross, than a straight dairy bull calf. And I know 4 buyers that buy directly off the farm, and that they take any, all calves the farmer wants to move, so they can keep the "contract". In this area there are next to no white faced dairy cross calves because anything hereford just does not bring any money here. And many still are of the mindset that hereford calves can have big blocky heads and shoulders, so they are not used as cleanup on dairy heifers. Mostly a cleanup bull like that is an angus or a black limi because they tend to slide right out easier. Limi's are often longer than wider so are not usually a problem being calved by a dairy heifer that is fed fairly well.

No, I didn't know if you were in the area and I did not check on you where ever you may live.

frieghttrain":3omjwfy0 said:
holm25":3omjwfy0 said:
I doubt anyone makes this cross. At least I haven't heard anything about the cross.
Wrong there Holm this is a very popular cross amoung the dairy people
Sorry you couldnt find any Morancher

I'm in dairy land and I'm telling you I have never seen or heard from any of these guys about this cross. If it was so popular they wouldn't be that hard to find. Especially where I am at.

morancher":4aenfnen said:
I am looking for leads on finding this cross. From large calf raisers or perhaps folks with limi-jersey cross cows. heifers ready to breed, would consider all. Most likely from those using Wulf limi semen.

Since I am not in the dairy region have no clue who these large calf raisers are.

thanks for clues .
what size and how many you looking for. I got friends in AI industry and another one buys calves off large dairies in N WI

Latest posts