Limi - Jersey cross heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

morancher

Reaction score
I am looking for leads on finding this cross. From large calf raisers or perhaps folks with limi-jersey cross cows. heifers ready to breed, would consider all. Most likely from those using Wulf limi semen.

Since I am not in the dairy region have no clue who these large calf raisers are.

thanks for clues .

I doubt anyone makes this cross. At least I haven't heard anything about the cross.

Pretty sure that is what Riverview Dairy is doing. Huge dairy in many states.

Might just contact Wulf directly...everything I read about it in the past is that they were using sexed semen to make steer calves but I am sure they have knowledge of where you could get heifers.

Franke":axx8ex09 said:
Pretty sure that is what Riverview Dairy is doing. Huge dairy in many states.
Riverview owns Wulf. Riverview is over taking the dairy industry in MN. The Wulf division is pretty much all operated out of the Nebraska locations.
insurman":axx8ex09 said:
Might just contact Wulf directly...everything I read about it in the past is that they were using sexed semen to make steer calves but I am sure they have knowledge of where you could get heifers.
If anyone knows about the cross, it's them.

thanks for the suggestions.

I have called Wulf, they do not sell any of this cross.

I have contacted Genex for a list of limi semen packages sold to Jersey dairy's, talked to them twice and have not received any leads.

was hoping to find a "calf raiser" who has this type of cross.

Probably not much help, and sure can't give any advice on finding that specific crosses other than what other folks have already stated. Years ago I ventured into dairy calf raising, and we were not in a dairy area either. Don't know how far away from any dairies you are, but we were about an hour from the closest and within a couple ours of some more. We drove to the areas and asked around at feed stores, extension offices, etc. if they knew of any dairies that might sell them calves. We did make a few connections. Nowadays those dairies are few and far between and I stopped raising the calves when all my reliable sources quit milking. There are some folks that were into contract raising large numbers of calves and sometimes you could buy weaned calves from them. Not sure what it's like in your area but maybe talk to your county agent about where some dairy areas may be fairly close. On a side note it may be difficult to find and procure that particular cross especially if they are breeding them for a specific program.

holm25":2gysgw90 said:
I doubt anyone makes this cross. At least I haven't heard anything about the cross.
Wrong there Holm this is a very popular cross amoung the dairy people
Sorry you couldnt find any Morancher

My understanding is that Wulf does not sell any of the cross cattle. The jersey X Limi calves are 100% for their terminal operation. It makes use of the Limi bulls/semen they already have and the jersey females owned by Riverview. If they aren't keeping any as replacement females, I have to wonder why anyone else would...

Boot Jack Bulls":3lxvl2wr said:
My understanding is that Wulf does not sell any of the cross cattle. They jersey X Limi calves are 100% for their terminal operation. It makes use of the Limi bulls/semen they already have and the jersey females owned by Riverview. If they aren't keeping any as replacement females, I have to wonder why anyone else would...

Don't know about Limousin Jersey cross females, but Angus x Jersey or Hereford x Jersey can make some right nice cows. I really liked the Hereford Jersey cross for cows and then breed them to an Angus bull, for some black calves.

frieghttrain":2se5z28m said:
holm25":2se5z28m said:
No Holm25 is correct...in fact we never heard of anyone doing Limousin on their dairy cows. Most dairies usually stick with either Angus, Hereford, Beef Shorthorn or Simmental as terminal.

Ky hills":3o3wturr said:
Boot Jack Bulls":3o3wturr said:
My understanding is that Wulf does not sell any of the cross cattle. They jersey X Limi calves are 100% for their terminal operation. It makes use of the Limi bulls/semen they already have and the jersey females owned by Riverview. If they aren't keeping any as replacement females, I have to wonder why anyone else would...

Don't know about Limousin Jersey cross females, but Angus x Jersey or Hereford x Jersey can make some right nice cows. I really liked the Hereford Jersey cross for cows and then breed them to an Angus bull, for some black calves.
These Jersey X cows makes good commercial cows tho a little high maintenance than straight beef cows if you watch their udders.

Muddy":eb610cjw said:
Ky hills":eb610cjw said:
Boot Jack Bulls":eb610cjw said:

These Jersey X cows makes good commercial cows tho a little high maintenance than straight beef cows if you watch their udders.

Given the price of cattle lately, wouldn't it be wiser to just use beef bred females to begin with. I understand the thought process behind breeding your dairy heifers to beef bulls if you are a dairy farmer, but if you aren't, why bother?

Boot Jack Bulls":2wwju6ne said:
Given the price of cattle lately, wouldn't it be wiser to just use beef bred females to begin with. I understand the thought process behind breeding your dairy heifers to beef bulls if you are a dairy farmer, but if you aren't, why bother?

My Limi cross females looked very good, and grew well, but were highly variable for maternal traits.

I think Limi makes a geat terminal cross - - but you will need to sort off about half of them if you want good early marturing maternal cows.

Stocker Steve":3rygxrpf said:
Boot Jack Bulls":3rygxrpf said:

My Limi cross females looked very good, and grew well, but were highly variable for maternal traits.

I think Limi makes a geat terminal cross - - but you will need to sort off about half of them if you want good early marturing maternal cows.

I haven't noticed as much variance in maternal ability/ value or maturity rate issues with mine. It is possible that is because mine almost without exception go back to just a few different bulls and cow lines. For example, most of our Limi females are Nobel Prize or Nasa daughters or granddaughters. They have proven to be very maternal, produce calves that perform, are super docile, and cross well with our Angus and red Angus bulls.

Stocker Steve":2kc1d2zs said:
Boot Jack Bulls":2kc1d2zs said:

:nod: I don't get why so many people try to use terminal breeds as maternal. Or try and breed terminal bulls from maternal breeds. They are 2 different types that offer the most benefit when used properly!

Muddy":2rl594qg said:
frieghttrain":2rl594qg said:
No Holm25 is correct...in fact we never heard of anyone doing Limousin on their dairy cows. Most dairies usually stick with either Angus, Hereford, Beef Shorthorn or Simmental as terminal.
Well now! My SS rep says that's the #1 selling semen right now. Using beef shorthorn on dairy well I can't say I see the benifits.

Boot Jack Bulls":3g56dqb2 said:
A.I. breeding the top 1/3 of a dairy herd to sexed semen and the rest to beef bulls has become popular with dairymen.
Many with Jersey dairy herds have found using Limousin is their best cross for dairy beef as both the heifer calves
and the bulls sell better for them than the other breeds. Limi bulls nick well with Jersey cows and the Jersey has
no problem calving with Limousin, as some might think. Limousin knocks the milk out of a dairy cow and Limi x Jersey
females can make a respectable F1 beef cow provided that when you're selecting replacement heifers you don't
choose any that too closely resemble a Jersey heifer. I'm sure morancher has his reasons for wanting them.

Latest posts