Limestone application - questions

Help Support CattleToday:

jsm

Reaction score
All,
Hello. I am having limestone applied in 2 weeks. I have a couple of questions I am hoping I can get some opinions on.

1.) Should you shred before they come spread? I have a couple of pastures that are weedy, so I am OK shredding those. However, I have some areas of good coastal (a foot tall or better) and almost hate to shred that down as it is good grass. Should I just shred the grass areas as high as I can set my shredder?

2.) Should you lightly disk after they spread it, or just leave it alone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Joseph

Don;t do anything and let it lay. The first rain will wash it down to the soil level

jsm":2iqq4372 said:
All,
Hello. I am having limestone applied in 2 weeks. I have a couple of questions I am hoping I can get some opinions on.

1.) Should you shred before they come spread? I have a couple of pastures that are weedy, so I am OK shredding those. However, I have some areas of good coastal (a foot tall or better) and almost hate to shred that down as it is good grass. Should I just shred the grass areas as high as I can set my shredder?

2.) Should you lightly disk after they spread it, or just leave it alone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Joseph

Is this per soil test?? Most of Central Texas is sitting on the biggest limestone deposit in the world. Just curious.

Yes, it is per several soil samples, showing an averge pH of 5.2 (tabor series sandy loam). The flood zone on my property (black gumbo) is the only soil on the place with a good pH.

Joseph

Thats what gets me. Hell, I am in freestone county right beside limestone county, so named for its limestone deposits and the dadgum soil sample says I need to add 2 tons of high magnesium limestone to bring the PH into tolerance from an acidic level. It just sounds weird to me.

Typically you should apply no more than one ton/acre a year on untilled soil. More at a time if it's tilled. I have an area that needs 1.5 tons so I'm adding 1 ton this fall and the rest next fall because I am not tilling it.

mnbryant2001":1wuvhql3 said:
Typically you should apply no more than one ton/acre a year on untilled soil. More at a time if it's tilled. I have an area that needs 1.5 tons so I'm adding 1 ton this fall and the rest next fall because I am not tilling it.

Standard advise is to split a heavy application. Heavy is over 2 tons per acre.
Soil tests are not a great way to tell how much lime you need. Old local legume growers usually have a better feel.
Lime will move down in the soil but it is a slow process. Sounds like a fraction on an inch per year...

Latest posts