Aeration & Pre-Emergence Application

Help Support CattleToday:

birdog

Reaction score
I'm planning to aerate my bermuda hay field in mid February to take advantage of our typical rainfall we receive in February & March. But I'm also applying a pre-emergent herbicide in mid February to control grassburs in the field. My question is, will the aeration interfere with the effectiveness of the herbicide application?

I'm planning to aerate my bermuda hay field in mid February to take advantage of our typical rainfall we receive in February & March. But I'm also applying a pre-emergent herbicide in mid February to control grassburs in the field. My question is, will the aeration interfere with the effectiveness of the herbicide application?
Birdog, what herbicide are you using out of curiosity? I have a couple pastures that have grassburs. Dont think i had near as many before the drought last year.

Mechanical aeration is a means to lower the compacted layer deeper into the soil profile. If the roots cannot aerate the soil then the roots and the forages need to be different. UT had a study on that years ago. And I kept a copy for a long time and showed it to people who pushed aeration of pastures. They all kept aerating because they knew better. No need to argue with science if you already know what you want to do, own an aerator or sell aerators.

Around here in clay soils, subsoiling was the answer until research showed that the soils sealed back up in less time than thought.

These days, the answer from soil health is to increase OM and store more water in the actual root zone. Some do and some don't. It is a choice to do any of it.

Please share your results, hope it takes care of them for you. My problem is I have small patches of them in several of my pastures.