Grazon Application.

Help Support CattleToday:

OklaBrangusBreeder

Reaction score
Last spring when I spread fertilizer, the local farm store agreed to mix liquid Grazon in the bulk fertilizer spreader. First time I had ever applied weed killer to my pasture and the first time I ever mixed it in the bulk spreader.

Absolutely amazing stuff. I've never had my pastures in as good a shape as it was this summer. You could literally see the line where the spreader ran out in the pasture. Weeds on one side, none on the other.

So my question is Grazon something you have to apply every year? Or did it do the job so good the ragweeds/etc are gone forever?

OklaBrangusBreeder":2jf3ygwj said:
Last spring when I spread fertilizer, the local farm store agreed to mix liquid Grazon in the bulk fertilizer spreader. First time I had ever applied weed killer to my pasture and the first time I ever mixed it in the bulk spreader.

Absolutely amazing stuff. I've never had my pastures in as good a shape as it was this summer. You could literally see the line where the spreader ran out in the pasture. Weeds on one side, none on the other.

So my question is Grazon something you have to apply every year? Or did it do the job so good the ragweeds/etc are gone forever?

You have to apply it every year.
I am not a Grazon fan for pasture as it destroys your seed bank. Grazon can't tell a bad seed from a good seed.
I prefer 2-4-D the main ingredient without the picloram that stops seed germination.

To clarify Grazon is a fantastic product for long term control of broadleaf plants. Here were my pasture are Bahia and Red River both seed producers it's not my friend.
This pasture as all of mine are sprayed every spring with 2-4-D, now if you could get smut grass without Round Up would be a total homerun.

Was this Grazon P+D or GrazonNext? One of our area fertilizer dealers has been impregnating GrazonNext on to dry fertilizer and getting good weed control. This has possibilities where spraying cannot be done because of sensitive crops across the fence.

As always. it depends. If you have a bad milkweed problem or just a bad weed problem overall, I would suggest two years of use and then reevaluate. Every situation is different, sometimes on different fields on the same acreage. Weeds like Croton will be wiped out one year only to return the next and the next and the next.

I had a native grass place that had not had anything done to it in a number of years. Milkweed by the thousands. Sprayed Grazon two years in a row and got a handle on it. Grass improved tremendously. Went with a 2 4 D product on the third year and lost most of what I had gained. Grazon Next again on year 4 got it in really good shape again and I sold it.

In your case a cheaper product like 2 4 D may keep it manageable for a year or two.

GrazonNext has aminopyrali and 2 4 D as active ingredients with the aminopyrali being the strongest ingredient. Dow also make a product that is much cheaper call Pasturall. It has the same ingredients but in reverse order of strength. I use a lot of it as a maintenance product when the pastures get close to where I want them.

bird dog":2fy2y8dw said:
As always. it depends. If you have a bad milkweed problem or just a bad weed problem overall, I would suggest two years of use and then reevaluate. Every situation is different, sometimes on different fields on the same acreage. Weeds like Croton will be wiped out one year only to return the next and the next and the next.

I had a native grass place that had not had anything done to it in a number of years. Milkweed by the thousands. Sprayed Grazon two years in a row and got a handle on it. Grass improved tremendously. Went with a 2 4 D product on the third year and lost most of what I had gained. Grazon Next again on year 4 got it in really good shape again and I sold it.

In your case a cheaper product like 2 4 D may keep it manageable for a year or two.

GrazonNext has aminopyrali and 2 4 D as active ingredients with the aminopyrali being the strongest ingredient. Dow also make a product that is much cheaper call Pasturall. It has the same ingredients but in reverse order of strength. I use a lot of it as a maintenance product when the pastures get close to where I want them.

What is his grass? Does he have a clover program? If he has improved grass that reseeds Grazon P+D will negatively impact to eradicate both with repeated use. If you have that severe of a weed problem you have a ph problem.

I personally wouldn't use any 2 4 D products. My situation is different so i don't need to but there is a lot of information coming out about health issues and deformities from its use. Unlike glyphosate where most of the stories coming out are heresay or unsubstantiated.

I have had great results with Grazon Next and Remedy at same time. Spray 3 years in a roll, then rest it a year. Spot treat if necessary. Broadleafs and Briers will be gone. Soil test is a must. If your soil doesn't have what it needs, weeds is all you will get.

I'm going to use Grazeon this coming spring and have them wet mix into the dry fertilizer to control Horsenettle. Does anyone know if the Grazeon will persist if spread in early April into the late summer when HN typically endures in Southwest Virginia?

I'm going to use Grazeon this coming spring and have them wet mix into the dry fertilizer to control Horsenettle. Does anyone know if the Grazeon will persist if spread in early April into the late summer when HN typically endures in Southwest Virginia?
Grazon will persist for probably 2 years.

I have had better results with Duracor on horsenettle. But, I think it is a several year process. Horsenettle has an extensive horizontal root system. You can "kill" the aboveground portion, but getting the roots is harder.
Spraying in the spring (to kill thistle and general broadleaf weeds) never seemed to have much effect on horsenettle since it appears much later. I think the residual chemical will suppress the horsenettle, but not kill it completely. Waiting later to spray gives the horsenettle time to put on enough leaves to "catch" the spray, but also in this area, the grass (fescue) may be tall at that time which shields the spray from the horsenettle. I think the best approach is wait until the horsenettle is around 4-6" tall, manage stocking rate to keep the grass grazed down low enough that the horsenettle gets a good wetting with the spray, use duracor at the labeled rate for horsenettle, use plenty of good surfactant, keep spray rate high (around 30 gallons per acre), good nozzles and pressure for atomization and uniform coverage, overlap enough that you don't leave any strips. My thought is that you need to burn it bad as soon as it is big enough to catch a good dose, use a residual herbicide to suppress it until frost and hope to eventually starve the root system. Sound hopeless? I am four years into the battle and making progress. May never win the war.

I think the residual in herbicides have more effect on germination of seed than on killing roots. Horsenettle seed is in the fruit/berries formed later in the year. Seems like it would be important to clip it down to prevent the fruit development, but as late as possible. Clipping too early might stop the action of the herbicide still in the plant tissue.

Duracor compared to GrazonNext - the residual component is the same chemical in both, but at different concentration. The "instant" chemical is different - 2,4D in Next. 2,4D does not seem to be effective on horsenettle. My next step is nuclear, but not licensed for that herbicide.

"Horsenettle has an extensive horizontal root system."
And vertical up to 4' in research. At least 2 years of Duracor would be needed to deal with both established plants and roots and get seedlings in year 2.

I've tried clipping with limited success and we probably spray too early. We spray for thistle and summer cedar. Thanks for the advice ! We spray with Grazon if we have bad weeds and the next years with 24D

Last edited:
I've tried clipping with limited success and we probably spray too early. We spray for thistle and summer cedar. Thanks for the advice ! We spray with Grazon if we have bad weeds and the next years with 24D
The time to spray for thistle is within the next 30 days. They will be small and flat and easily killed. Buttercup is the same way. For my area its between Halloween and Thanksgiving.

What have you found

Latest posts