Lime?

Help Support CattleToday:

Deepsouth":2bwhe1k6 said:
Kenny, I'm surprised y'all even need to put lime out. They have to ship it a long way to get it here.

That is what kills us here is the freight on it.
I live in one of the few counties in the state with no railroad
everything is trucked in.

Don't know where in AR your from but if your buying the lime out of Batesville there are two pits there. One that we have bought from for years is 10.30 a ton at the pit. The other has it on sale for 1.75 a ton at the pit. We have samples from both and either is fine. We are trying to start stockpiling the 1.75 stuff for later use. We haul out own, it's 110 miles for us.

Deepsouth":we931iy8 said:
I agree that it's worth it but would add that it's also necessary. To keep it simple lime makes your fertilize work. If you can't afford to put the required amount out put out whatever you can afford. Put 1000 lbs this year and a 1000 next year. Unless your disking it in that's probably the best way to do it anyway. If you have more than one pasture put some on them all instead of the required amount on one and none on the other.

Our local extension agent said if you can not afford to do the whole place to put required amounts on only a few pastures to get it over the hump and do the other pastures as can you can?? Is there a wrong time of the year to lime?

skyhightree1":1w27v644 said:
id almost pay anything to not have that ugly arse broom straw so lime away

I know I need lime. I see that stuff everywhere by winter. I just borrowed a corer for soil testing. I will have to lime small sections at a time $$$

As long as you aren't going into a really wet season that the lime is going to be washed off, you can put it on whenever. It takes time for it to work in though, so the benefits wont be seen til next season usually and the following years after. The finer it is, the quicker it goes to work.

Red Bull Breeder":2whlg5mn said:
I think its a little high to Jed. I think I can get it spread for 18.00. Its a rough haul to my place.

If I could get it at that price here tomorrow I would build me a pile that I would spread
when dries out.

kucala5":2kdnqgxx said:
Thanks for all the responses. We've priced it and it'll come it about $40/acre spread @ 3000 lbs. per acre. We're going to go forward with it.

The pit is 35 miles from us. We were pleased with the price.

kucala5":i05vk41d said:
Thanks for all the responses. We've priced it and it'll come it about $40/acre spread @ 3000 lbs. per acre. We're going to go forward with it.
That rate is $26.66 per ton spread which is a bargain where I live. What is the ECCE for the lime?

We haven't had a soil test done on our new pasture but we know it needs a lot of help in the lime and the chicken litter department. I have question for you guys....if the grass grows good but is thin (for lack of a better term, isn't thick like carpet) which would be better to use in y'alls opinion....lime or chicken litter? We are planning to chicken litter next month on some of the land.

Big Cheese":1f2u5gal said:
We haven't had a soil test done on our new pasture but we know it needs a lot of help in the lime and the chicken litter department. I have question for you guys....if the grass grows good but is thin (for lack of a better term, isn't thick like carpet) which would be better to use in y'alls opinion....lime or chicken litter? We are planning to chicken litter next month on some of the land.
If the grass is sparse and you use chiken litter first you best enjoy spraying the entire pasture for weeds.

Big Cheese":37au50sq said:
Theres not very many weeds in the pasture its just thin. You think the litter will bring out the weeds?
Won;t bring them out, it will bring them IN.

I have never really understood how the chicken litter will bring in the weeds..Please explain>>>>

Latest posts