Lime?

Help Support CattleToday:

kucala5

Reaction score
We got our report from soil samples today. Recommendations are a ton and a half of lime per acre. Thoughts on investment vs. gain on pastures? We don't cut hay.

kucala5":2sc3a58l said:
We got our report from soil samples today. Recommendations are a ton and a half of lime per acre. Thoughts on investment vs. gain on pastures? We don't cut hay.
It;s procey but worth it unless you already have way too much grass.

I agree that it's worth it but would add that it's also necessary. To keep it simple lime makes your fertilize work. If you can't afford to put the required amount out put out whatever you can afford. Put 1000 lbs this year and a 1000 next year. Unless your disking it in that's probably the best way to do it anyway. If you have more than one pasture put some on them all instead of the required amount on one and none on the other.

I've been told that it's too slopey to run lime trucks on the farm. I haven't determined that no one has a lime buggy here locally yet, but I doubt there is one around. Any ideas for getting lime down otherwise. No soil test yet, as I don't know how I can get lime down anyway. Showing some stray sage grass now.

talltimber":103f8kij said:
I've been told that it's too slopey to run lime trucks on the farm. I haven't determined that no one has a lime buggy here locally yet, but I doubt there is one around. Any ideas for getting lime down otherwise. No soil test yet, as I don't know how I can get lime down anyway. Showing some stray sage grass now.
If there are chicken barns in your area the litter spreaders can also spread lime. My neighbor has a Adams litter spreader and does lime with it.

talltimber":3aa89xxc said:
If the drivers are like the ones here you will be surprised how steep they will spread. Where they spread for me would not put a buggy on it.

kenny thomas":1kuvhgjt said:
talltimber":1kuvhgjt said:
If the drivers are like the ones here you will be surprised how steep they will spread. Where they spread for me would not put a buggy on it.

That's encouraging. My uncle runs a lime truck on ag ground and says he gets a case of the tight hiney when he runs his rig on these hills. :lol2: He runs something like a terra gator I think, or at least a big lime truck with ~ 4 or 5' tires on it. Good size rig of some sort.

Maybe I can find someone from the co op to do it.

For proper soil health this is the first thing to address. Here it is pretty cheap but we have several near by places to get limestone from.

Thanks for all the responses. We've priced it and it'll come it about $40/acre spread @ 3000 lbs. per acre. We're going to go forward with it.

Hmm glad it is cheaper than that here. But for sure worth it, lime takes a while to break down and really start working. i brought some tobacco ground up from 5.7 to 6.1 couple years a go from oct. to may with 3 ton.

I paid 40 a ton spread last year . Lime really makes a difference. I limed my hay fields 2 years ago . Now the clover is so thick I don't think the grass is gonna be able to grow until I cut it. I limed my pastures last year and the clover is growing pretty good there too . Before I limed I couldn't get clover to even come up . Grass is a lot greener in the pastures too. I ve been throwing away fertalizer the last few years trying to get the grass to grow .

Deepsouth":1jgh5ehv said:
kucala5":1jgh5ehv said:
Thanks for all the responses. We've priced it and it'll come it about $40/acre spread @ 3000 lbs. per acre. We're going to go forward with it.

I wish I could get it that cheap. I payed $70/ton last week.
$18.50 a ton spread here. But we are setting on top of a limestone rock. Just like fertilizer there is some better than other and of course the finer it is crushed the quicker it will work.
Years ago the farmers would pick up rock for several winters and put them in a big pile. Someone with a crusher that was belt driven off of an old Farmall tractor would go from farm to farm and crush the piles of rock. It was then loaded on a sled behind horses and spread with a shovel on tobacco fields.

Deepsouth":15n64eoq said:
Kenny, I'm surprised y'all even need to put lime out. They have to ship it a long way to get it here.
Most lime is spread here because the limestone disolves so slowly it still needs some spread on it. I had one place limed about 10 years ago and it still tests 6.5 PH. Needs lots of fertilize though. I have bought it already and its in the barn waiting for dryer weather to spread it.

$23.50 advertised here. Buddy and I rented a spreader and did it outselves as we were tired of waiting on MFA. Had right at $18.50/ton in it.

Latest posts