Lime?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rajela":25dwgqdi said:
I have never really understood how the chicken litter will bring in the weeds..Please explain>>>>
A microscopic examination of most feeds will show hundreds of different small weed seeds. Use to buy a protein product out of Louisiana. Had it examined one time by a big Cargill lab in Minnesota and it had about as many finely ground crawfish and oyster shells as it did soy products and a list of dozens of weed seeds in it. Most will never germinate but there always seem to be some that do.

Unless you put it on straight out of the house(a bad idea) it sits around outside and every stray weed seed in the county seems to be drawn to it. Even if it's composted a number of weed seed will be present at least in the surface area of the pile.
Our hay field was practiculy taken over by leafy spurge.

Big Cheese":274j58uq said:
Theres not very many weeds in the pasture its just thin. You think the litter will bring out the weeds?
We have used litter for several years and can't say that I notice anymore weeds than before. But this old place had several to begin with, figured there is a large bank of seeds in the ground to deal with for me.

Fenceman this pasture hasn't had anything on it for 20 years and all the hay bales and taken off of it every year. I can already tell from just having the cows on it for this past winter that the grass is getting a little thicker just from feeding hay on it and the cows making their own fertilizer. It just needs a jumpstart.

Rajela":4ifbzaid said:
You guys tickle the be nice out me when you all talk about Chicken Litter....LMAO
Other then frm layer houses litter is what it is. Wood shavings and chicken s. Could also be from turkey farms, then it would be turkey litter.

dun":182wi163 said:
Rajela":182wi163 said:
You guys tickle the be nice out me when you all talk about Chicken Litter....LMAO
Other then frm layer houses litter is what it is. Wood shavings and chicken and weed seed..LOL I guess that is how the big time chicken growing companies cut there cost on feed. I wonder how those high protein weed seed would be for livestock s. Could also be from turkey farms, then it would be turkey litter.

Rajela":26et07zj said:
and weed seed..LOL I guess that is how the big time chicken growing companies cut there cost on feed. I wonder how those high protein weed seed would be for livestock
Not much different then any other feed that you buy, or pasture seed for that matter.

dun":1ezlqadf said:
Rajela":1ezlqadf said:
and weed seed..LOL I guess that is how the big time chicken growing companies cut there cost on feed. I wonder how those high protein weed seed would be for livestock
Not much different then any other feed that you buy, or pasture seed for that matter.

Have you ever seen or been around a commercial broiler operation???

Latest posts