Life is great when you have a 44 gallon drum

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
I had this drum propping up part of the fence (yeah, yeah, I know, my fencing methods leave a lot to be desired. But I tend to plug up holes with whatever is handy).

Anyway, none of the goats had looked at it, until the other day I heard some strange noises, and Calamity had tipped it over, and was balancing on it! She played with it for about half an hour, and has played on it every day since.

02-01-08_069.JPG

02-01-08_071.JPG

02-01-08_073.JPG

02-01-08_074.JPG

Looks like lots of fun!! :) :lol: Have you tried it yet? ;-)

great photo's, my Aunts goats used to like running through the clothes line. They are funny to watch when they have that playful mood on.

And life is "something" when you have goats. You either love them or hate them.

(Personally, I love them!) Great looking goats. :)

we used 2 barrels in the buck pens when they were smaller, and didnt have a shelter up yet, they loved them, not just to get in out of the rain from, but to play on, they are comical, i love to watch them, especially the babies.

My daughter and her family just got 2 pigmy goats. They are the cutest things and they have so much character! :)

I'd love to have goats. About the time I decide that I'm gonna get me a couple, I hear the coyotes howling. I just can't bring myself to providing the coyotes a buffet. :(

Alice

Alice":1qdipcic said:
I'd love to have goats. About the time I decide that I'm gonna get me a couple, I hear the coyotes howling. I just can't bring myself to providing the coyotes a buffet. :(

Alice
I had goats, down to one now. There are alot of coyotes around here. The goat/s come in at night, has never been a problem.

I had a goat (pygmy) when I was 16.........a long time ago. Her name was Penny. She had two babies, nickle and dime. I named my little ranch, Small Change Ranch, because I started with 16 cents. I still have the name to this date, even though the goats are long gone.

Neighbor has goats. They kept getting out onto the highway. Sheriff dept. gave him a fit. Miracle nobody ever got killed, not even his goats. He built new fence all the way around, no help. He put electric fence around, no help. Early one morning I found how they were getting out. They were climbing a tree that had a slight lean and were jumping down. A chain saw took care of the problem.

how many of you all have seen a hole in a fence, looked for tracks in the hole to see if anything has gotten out , then thought , well nothin gottin out so it ain't no need to fix it yet, then forgot about it till half the herd is gone. This usually happens on larger ranches. Been there done that

Alice":3n2ceimi said:
My daughter and her family just got 2 pigmy goats. They are the cutest things and they have so much character! :)

Alice

You would have three main options: 1) Lock the goats into a shed overnight; 2) Bring them up to a small paddock near the house overnight; or 3) Use a guardian animal in the paddock. The use of a guardian animal allows for greater numbers, whereas if you are yarding or shedding them overnight your herd numbers are restricted by the amount of shed or yard space available. There is a whole range of guardian animals, including donkeys, llamas/alpacas, a great variety of dog breeds and even some old boss cows can work. Your situation will decide which animal to use, but some considerations are:

- If you use a dog, you have to figure out some way of feeding him that the goats can get to (goats love dry dog food and this can be a really tricky thing to overcome). If you bring the goats up with working dogs, you will have to chain the guard dog up first, or he will attack your working dogs. A small number of guard dogs can recognise working dogs, and will not attack them.

- If you use a llama/alpaca, firstly you need a pair of wethers as they wont guard by themselves. Secondly, not all wethers develop the guarding instinct. Thirdly, they dont develop the guarding instinct till about 18 months, so dont buy any younger than that. When you go to buy them, take a dog with you, and chuck it over the fence. You'll know the wethers will work when the dog comes flying back over the fence to you. Another thing to consider if you are raising white angora goats, to only get white alpacas/llamas, to avoid colour contamination.

- Donkeys and old cows dont have quite so many problems, although you would want to halter break them. Also you may have problems if your goat feed is not suitable for other species, and vice versa. Again, not all show the guarding instinct so its a good idea to try before you buy.

You sure that is not a 55 gallon drum? I would hate to buy a 44 gallon one and get the wrong size. :lol:

I built what I call goat mountain for the two I have. Just built it out of some scrap wood I had. I will see if I can find a picture.

Latest posts