Life can turn on a dime

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Amazing how quickly things can change. A couple of weeks ago my sons mother (my ex ) experienced some stroke like symptoms. Within a day of being in the hospital she was diagnosed with brain cancer and given a few months to live. That was quickly changed to days, and suddenly she was gone. It has been harder on me than I expected. My son is heart broken of course, which is incredibly difficult to see. I mean really, what can a person do?
Anyway, not really sure why I'm posing this as I'm usually pretty good at keeping my personal life to myself, maybe I just want anyone who happens to read this to take the time to see the good around you and let the people close to you know that you care. Life can change in a moment.

Sorry for your loss. Talking and sharing with others is good therapy. Especially those that can offer encouragement as well as sympathy.

Sorry to hear this. Tragedy has a way of creating benefits and opportunities for survivors that wouldn't have existed prior. I hope that this is the case for you and your boy, and your bond grows closer as you both cope with this loss. I'm sure his mother would have wanted this.
Anyway, really sorry for your loss.

My condolences, as cliché as it may sound, you can tell your boy that time is the only medicine to help heal that hole she left. I lost my mom to a drunk driver over 14 years ago when I was 21. It starts out as anger and sadness whenever the thought of her arises, after awhile you'll find yourself smiling whenever you hear a story about them. Then awhile later you'll be able to retell those stories you have of her with a smile. Tell him that while it's a time of sadness at her loss, remind him not to forget the entirety of who she was up to her passing. That's how the process went for me over the course of several years, I hope this helps in some way.

Smaller world than we realize. I have childhood (lifetime) friend lying in a hospital down in Dallas with 30-60 days to live.
Has a place down in the Big Bend area. Started having problems in November. They treated him for Parkinson. It is brain cancer.
Some things have more value than we can calculate, friendship among the greatest. I wish you well

That's awful for your family. I have two daughters by an ex and had divorced parents myself. Hard enough way to grow up without adding on. Be prepared for him to feel guilty in this situation, kids do sometimes. All I can say is be a soft place for him to land. Thoughts and prayers for your family.

My condolences, Silver. I went through the exact same thing with my dad in 2019. It sure has taught me to cherish moments and to create moments that I can cherish.

And regarding the point of your post - yes life can turn on a dime. My friend went into town to visit his friends on Easter Sunday. He was standing on the curb next to his car talking to his momma on the phone when someone shot him twice in the back and killed him.

Thank you for sharing your story during this difficult time. You're absolutely right, we are never guaranteed time. It's all a gift. Prayers for you all.

itll never get easier..esp for your boy..it might not be out there where anyone can see it..but youll know...i been thru this ..yrs of cancer..my wife died when my son was 2 weeks shy of 10..life changed and hasnt been for the better..youll hear lots of itll be ok crap..no it wont ever be the same ..ever...youll manage..but never a day will go by you wont know how it affected your son..you have my condolences sir..id wish it on no one

My condolences. Boy do I know that feeling. About 2 weeks ago a life long friend, my hunting and fishing partner for nearly 60 years passed. Then on Monday a neighboring rancher who was only 63 and a great friend had a heart attack and died. Back in November another neighbor rancher passed suddenly at 64. They all certainly left a hole in my heart.
A lot of years ago I was reading Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms. There is a line at the end of the book where the main character tells his lady to remember him and he will be there. At that time I lost a man who was like a second father to me. I took that idea to heart. Remember them and they will be there.

We all go through the passing of close friends and relatives. We sometime forget it's part of life and are never truly ready to face it. It should teach us to show more compassion and be less critical with those around us. Learn from the negative, focus on the positive.

Silver, I pray you stay well and give your son compassion and support.

My younger sister was buried yesterday. Left a husband and two kids in their twenties. Their life is turned upside down. Cancer is like rust and corrosion that eats up your body from the inside. Much progress made in treatments, but mesothelioma is a tough one. No known exposure risks. Any of us can go at any time. Make the most of every day while things are good. Provide emotional support for others as best you can. Seek help from others as needed. Takes time to get over a loss

Latest posts