Lick tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before, but wanted to get some opinions.

Our grass has pretty much dried up to nothing. The cows are still in good shape, but are becoming less satisfied with the dry grass each day. We have never had to do it before, but I just wanted to hear some theories on protein lick tubs. I hear if you supplement with the tubs, the cows will eat more of the dry grass. How well does this work?

what the lick tubbs do is creat a fire in their belly.so they will consume the dry grass thats in the pasture.since you have grass id use the lick tubbs.they are high in protine from what i understand.

We used the tubs last year on some pretty poor pasture and our calves came off looking really good. I would recommend them if you are in a similar situation.

The extra protein will allow the dry grass to pass through them and to digest the nutrients.

Watch the manure piles. If they are piled high........they are not getting enough protein to aid in digestion.

If the manure is loose (but not sloppy loose) and flattens when it hits the ground, you're usually OK.

Sometimes there is less energy and protein in dry grass than it takes to digest it. When it starts to look "folded" (like an accordian) they are likely protein deficient.

We don't use lick tubs, because they are no very economical. We use a liquid feed called mix 30, which can be used in open top troughs, tubs, or in lick wheel tanks. This is an all natural supplement and our cattle do very well on it.

El_Putzo said:
I know this has been discussed before, but wanted to get some opinions.

Our grass has pretty much dried up to nothing. The cows are still in good shape, but are becoming less satisfied with the dry grass each day. We have never had to do it before, but I just wanted to hear some theories on protein lick tubs. I hear if you supplement with the tubs, the cows will eat more of the dry grass.
  • How well does this work?[/
[/list]quote] it works real well if you can afford to do it. i recommened crystalix cost more around 20.00 dollars or so more but they eat less waste less and get more from it.

I used a protein supplement (32%) in a lick wheel tank - I think it's called Cattle-Lac or something "cute" like that. I used it along with some less than best quality hay and whatever they could browse on last winter and had cows breeding in January after calving in December. The girls ate it like candy for the first couple of day but consumption leveled off after that. As a matter of fact, I'm having the tub filled next week in attempt to stretch the burned-up pasture a little farther. Just make sure there's some sort of roughage available for the girls - it does spark a fire in their belly.

Texas Gal":z4f14wym said:
I used a protein supplement (32%) in a lick wheel tank - I think it's called Cattle-Lac or something "cute" like that. I used it along with some less than best quality hay and whatever they could browse on last winter and had cows breeding in January after calving in December. The girls ate it like candy for the first couple of day but consumption leveled off after that. As a matter of fact, I'm having the tub filled next week in attempt to stretch the burned-up pasture a little farther. Just make sure there's some sort of roughage available for the girls - it does spark a fire in their belly.

Same for us with the Mix 30. We were feeding hay that could have passed for baled mulch -- seriously. Our cows bred back right on time and were scoring around 6 BCS.

farmwife":219czetf said:
We don't use lick tubs, because they are no very economical. We use a liquid feed called mix 30, which can be used in open top troughs, tubs, or in lick wheel tanks. This is an all natural supplement and our cattle do very well on it.

Liquid feed costs more to set up, but it will save you in the long run.

LonghornRanch":ga28x0dc said:
farmwife":ga28x0dc said:

How do you figure. We purchased a carry tank for $50 and we feed in the concrete troughs and some smaller plastic tubs that we already had. Doesn't sound like a big setup cost to me. Also most dealers will provide the lick wheel tanks free as long as you purchase the liquid from them. Currently we purchase 250 gals 3 times per year which feeds 25 mature cows. The liquid costs us $190 per ton -- a little high, but 3 tons will last all year.

I'd really like to use the tubs sometime. But every time I put the pencil to it, there's just no way that I can make it work. Not even close. The tubs are a very high-priced source of convenience, in my opinion. Figure their cost on a ton basis and then compare them to other sources of protein.

If you can arrange to feed something like a 38% cube once or twice a week in a sufficient quantity to supplement most of their protein, your cows will still clean your grass up. And they'll do it a lot cheaper, if that's important to you. Same old decision when it comes to cattle---who works for who.

I see, you mis-understood.

The liquid costs us $190 per ton -- a little high, but 3 tons will last all year.

-VS-

$40 for a tub

Understand now?

LonghornRanch":3gcqguj5 said:
I see, you mis-understood.

The liquid costs us $190 per ton -- a little high, but 3 tons will last all year.

-VS-

$40 for a tub

Understand now?

In my experience the $40 tub will last a couple of weeks, which is $80 per month or $190 for 2 months, whereas the Mix 30 liquid that we use costs $190 for 4 months. Which one is more expensive?

Just weight and time doesn;t tell the true story. What is the cost per lb of protein, andwhat kind of protein is it? We won;t use urea basd supplements, a persoanl choice, so Mix30 works well for us. But we had a bunch of old 150 gallon rubbermaid tanks sitting around not being used and the guy comes to the farm and delivers it

dun

Thanks for all the replies folks. I'm doing some checking on the availability of Mix 30 and the cost differences that Texan spoke of. Some day it WILL rain, I'm sure. Hopefully before too long, but in the mean time, the dry grass will have to do. We probably have a few more days before there is absolutely no green left in the grass. We will make our decision by then. As of now, most of the fall calvers are falling into the BCS range of 6-7.5, and the cows with calves are anywhere between a 4.5 and 6. So the cows aren't being affected too badly yet. But I know it is easier to keep them in shape than to let them get dragged way down and try to build them back up.

It seems as though the Mix 30 might be the best option as far as herd health goes, but it is also the least feasible, as we don't have th setup to feed all 80 cows out of a trough or tub. We have never had the need to feed the mature cows grains or anything besides cubes, and we'd just as soon not start.

The cubes seem to be the most feasible and they will assure us that each of the cows are getting at least some protein.

The tubs will work, but seem to be less cost affective and provide less coverage as far as verifying that all of the cows are getting some. Time is cheap for us. Knowing that all the cows are coming up for cubes every other day or so gives us a warm fuzzy feeling more than just assuming that the cows are all making it to the tub.

Keep the replies coming, I'm always open to new ideas.

Do you have to feed the Mix 30 free choice?

Or could I put it out in limited amounts daily (I know that I would have to have enough trough space for all of them to get there share)?

Latest posts