Lick Tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

Bamadan

Reaction score
I am interested in getting some feed back on use of lick tubs. Do you use them? If so what do I need (content)? What brand?
My situation, right now is very little grass, been feeding hay for a while, hay quality is not great, but OK. I have free choice loose mineral in feeders. But their choices on forage is not real good right now.
I am more than a little concerned about this drought situation, it is beginning to devastate some operations in our area. It's forcing people to look at any and every possible solution. Right now, we just hope to hang on! THANKS!

Given what you've described - the fact you have loose mineral already out, it sounds like you need a good 20-25% protein tub is all - IF that's how you want to supplement. There are other ways to supplement but protein tubs are a pretty common and simple method.

Lick tubs have their place. They are convenient. Convenience has a price. Also consumption can vary depending on the tub and roughage you have. There are ones with "fairy dust" (sarcasm) in them. Some people like them others don't. Amaferm is one product. Ive used it. I think it does what its supposed to do, but there are cheaper ways to accomplish the same thing.

Can you feed cubes/pellets or a meal form of product? Theres an all ddg cube https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater Might be able to get a decent price on that.

We use Smartlic pasture 30 & it seems to be more dense than other brands, lasts longer & our cattle prefer it. It's kind of a pain to haul the empty tubs back to the CoOp but we also still have a bunch of empty plastic tubs stacked up in a shed from other brands.
http://smartlic.com/products/pasture-30/

Good luck with the drought. Been there, 3 years in a row.

The times that I have used the tubs, I used the Crystlyx, protein tubs. Didn't need to have a specific mineral because, like you, I have loose mineral available.

I also prefer a cooked over a pressed.

Tubs are a expensive way to feed a cow at any time. Grain is cheap and there are plenty of reasonably priced byproducts. It may lack some of the convenience of barrels but it will help the bottom line for anyone thinking outside the box.

I kept 80% pf my cows thru our big drought in 2011. Why, because I had some bloodlines I wanted to keep. Some of them got so thin that I was embarrassed to claim them. Lots of folks wisely sold out early. A lot of these wise folks were the same ones that decided to get back in when bred heifers were selling for $2000. Do what you have to do to survive. If there is any hay available, feed them that and some cooked tubs. If not, I would bite the bullet and feed cubes. Accept the fact that you will not make any money for a while.

We have used tubs quite a bit. With just me and the wife both working full time the convenience was worth the price. We will have some help this year with feeding and won't be using them.
Tubs are good if you have dry grass or poor hay. Keep in mind that any protien listed as non protien nitrogen is urea. It contributes little nutritionally , it allows the cow to utilize more forage. You will burn through your grass or hay faster. Natural protien tubs are available but even more spendy. A cooked tub is a must. There are alot cheaper ways to supplement protien. But if you can't get to them everyday tubs have a place.

I hope I got that right Texasbred. :cboy:

I have used tubs in the past and still do.But,the ones I use now do not have salt in them.A few years ago,I had an older cow go down from low Phosphorus levels.I told the vet they were on the tubs and he said they weren't getting enough C/P supplement from them.Even with mineral out,the cows were getting their salt requirements from the tubs and not using the mineral.
Lie someothers have said, he recommended I feed grain to boost protein

During the winter when we are going to have short snow/ice spell that will keep the cows from getting decent quality forage we;ll put out a tub for a couple of days then remove it when the ice/snow melts. I know there are those that claim their cows will dig through the ice.snow ti reach the forage. That is probably true in some areas, but it's such a seldom occurence here that ours never seem to have gotten the knack of it.

I wold have to go back to my file notes but there is a maximum limit of urea that a cow can utilize. For some reason 7% comes to mind but that could be wrong. So high protein based on a lot of urea in the mix is a waste.

If protein is the goal, I ran some numbers for around here not counting labor: SHP was $0.98/pound of protein and tubs were $1.10/pound of protein. Not sure if protein is the real or only reason to feed tubs.

Lick tubs pretty much just supplement low quality forage
As fence said if your using NPN your better have plenty of filler (low quality grass/hay)
If your trying to "feed" or stretch hay/grass then for the cost of tubs you can buy feed

Most bagged feeds containing urea seldom have more than 20 lbs. of urea per ton of feed mix which is a very safe level. Even dairy rations will contain this much and a ton will only feed about 60 head of cattle so they can handle a little more than we think and considerably more than is usually included in feed rations. Haven't seen what the levels are in lick tubs but probably just high enough to be beneficial and lower the cost but never at dangerous levels especially with the low consumption tubs most use these days. For feed lots and dairy operations that use millions of pounds of feed urea can save huge amounts of money as 1 lb. of urea effectively replaces 7 lbs. of cottonseed meal in a ration or about 6 lbs. of soybean meal. It's not true protein but it is "equivalent protein" and a source of nitrogen calculated at 281% equivalent protein or sometimes 287% equivalent protein. What is the first thing a cow does with protein?? Convert it to nitrogen.;-)

I've got a low stocking rate and plenty of grass (no hay) with free choice salt and minerals for the last two winters. I became concerned (I'm a newbe) and purchased a cooked tub and licking tub of QLF too. The girls like getting "lickered" up. One hit in the morning and one in the evening for 34 head. The cooked tub and lick tub east lasts me about 2 1/2 to 3 months in the winter. They stay pretty slick all winter long and the spring calves are great, 31 calves (sold/gave them away 680 lb avg at sale barn last week), one bull and one open (she will be leaving soon) and one got cancer and died on me :)

midTN_Brangusman":2uzu7dfc said:
https://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/5811676948.html

Has anyone ever fed peanut butter as a supplement? Saw this on craiglist

Not sure how they would like it without jelly :lol:
Can't you just see an old gal walking around the pasture trying to get that wad of peanut butter out of the roof of her mouth where it all stuck. :lol: :lol: Should be good protein, fat and energy.

TexasBred":ovfq549s said:
midTN_Brangusman":ovfq549s said:
https://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/5811676948.html

Has anyone ever fed peanut butter as a supplement? Saw this on craiglist

Not sure how they would like it without jelly :lol:
Can't you just see an old gal walking around the pasture trying to get that wad of peanut butter out of the roof of her mouth where it all stuck. :lol: :lol: Should be good protein, fat and energy.

Haha I sure can TB, im thinking about trying a barrel :hide:

Latest posts