Lice, what to use ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
I let a buddy house a cow at my place for a couple weeks. She brought lice. All my cows are now scratching. I gave them all a dose of Ultra Boss (5% permethrin and 5% piperonyl butoxide). I didn't repeat the second dose 2 weeks later because the label says, " Season long lice control with one application." My cows are still scratching. Any advice? I want a complete kill. Ear tags, injectables, I was told my a local show guy to use a blow torch ? I currently have Dectomax Pour On, Ultra Boss, and Cylence. Thanks. And my buddies cow is long gone.

Last edited:
I let a buddy house a cow at my place for a couple weeks. She brought lice. All my cows are now scratching. I gave them all a dose of Ultra Boss (5% permethrin and 5% piperonyl butoxide). I didn't repeat the second dose 2 weeks later because the label says, " Season long lice control with one application." My cows are still scratching. Any advice? I want a complete kill. Ear tags, injectables, I was told my a local show guy to use a blow torch ? I currently have Dectomax Pour On, Ultra Boss, and Cylence. Thanks. And my buddies cow is long gone.
Synergized Permethrin 1%
Is about the cheapest stuff that works you can get.
Once you got lice there tough to get rid of.
Bag of cubes a pump up sprayer once a week for two or three weeks and there gone.

Ultra Boss works, but you need the second dose in 2-3 weeks despite what the label says. Permethrin can't kill eggs, so you need the second treatment to kill the lice that hatch out after the first treatment.

I recommend Clean Up II for lice. It's a combination of permethrin and IGR that only needs one treatment.

I use pro-zap pour on in the winter and their back rubber in the summer. lice were bad this winter. I read an article that this time of year the lice become less of a problem and not use the pour on too much.

Ultra Boss works, but you need the second dose in 2-3 weeks despite what the label says. Permethrin can't kill eggs, so you need the second treatment to kill the lice that hatch out after the first treatment.

I recommend Clean Up II for lice. It's a combination of permethrin and IGR that only needs one treatment.
I have been fortunate to sit in on parasite seminars. Dr. Don Bliss, Mid America Labs maintains in order to kill lice, you must pour them twice. 14 days apart to get the sucking lice and the eggs. Most of us don't do that, and we get by, but if you see a major lice outbreak, you should pour them twice. Remember you need to treat EVERY head or they will get reinfected.

I have noticed that by using something like the Lewis Cattle Oilers during summer, that must interrupt the life cycle of the lice, because once we started using those we got by easily treating once in the fall. FWIW.

Hope this helps!

Here is something I have wondered about. Lice come back every year. Ive done the pour-ons 2x as recommended. What harbors lice during the rest of the year? I have heard pigeons. Or is it something else?

Here is something I have wondered about. Lice come back every year. Ive done the pour-ons 2x as recommended. What harbors lice during the rest of the year? I have heard pigeons. Or is it something else?
Cattle lice are host specific - they won't live on birds. The most likely answer is just that treatment never kills them all. The few survivors reproduce and their population booms in the winter months.

Back in time when I had a diary I had an oiler that mounted in the return lane. It had a 5 gallon bucket above and a valve that each time a cow walked under it would wet the wick . Wish I knew the mfg and if it is still availabe somewhere.

Put the cattle in a pen that doesnt have much extra room. The tighter the better. Take a hand sprayer with Co-Ral and soak all the cattle good. If you have a set of pens or a singular place the cattle water set up a fly bag they have to walk thru to get water. The bag is not a silver bullet but it really helps.

I'll throw another option out but use caution handling it. I usually put a bandana over my mouth. I have taken the powder like Python or who ever makes it for the fly bags and just thrown it on the cattle by hand. We will cube the cattle and just walk down the line and throw it down their backs or on their knecks. Especially when bulls get flies real bad and they are out in the pasture. It will get you out of a pinch if the cows will stand for it.

Last edited:
I don't know what your climate is like but the lice will die in the summer heat treated or not. I've never worried much about it, every March a few start the scratching, they're already over it here now

I have seen cattle so lice-infested at spring brandings, the calves are lousy too.
Sometimes they are treated, sometimes not. The lice must go somewhere in the warm weather,
but I have no idea where.

The better the immune system = the less parasites.

I have seen cattle so lice-infested at spring brandings, the calves are lousy too.
Sometimes they are treated, sometimes not. The lice must go somewhere in the warm weather,
but I have no idea where.

The better the immune system = the less parasites.
I understood once they move under the belly, and are somewhat dormant. Remain there till cooler weather returns then gravitate back top side

Latest posts