Lice or Something Else?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowtownjim

Reaction score
A three year old cow suddenly has a near perfect circle of "baldness" around each eye. If it is from rubbing the hair off from lice, how did she get such a perfect circle? We used a generic Ivomec pour-on in October. Should I give her another dose? Thanks for y'all's help.

Agree that it is probably ringworm. It should run it's course and clear up without intervention. I have a bred heifer who looks as you describe. I usually see it as a sign of poor immune health in the animal. However, it could just be that a young animal has never been exposed to it yet. It is contagious, so don't be surprised if other cows get it.

As Dun would have said, benign neglect. Agree, it sounds like ringworm. And there are a gazillion remedies for treating it. Treat it and it's gone in 5-6 weeks. Sunshine and time and it's gone in 6 weeks. I actually did a "test comparison" the only year I had an outbreak of ringworm. Spent quality time treating 2 and ignored the rest. All cleared about the same time and you couldn't tell the difference. No residual scars.

Lice patches aren't generally around the eyes but you'll see bald, pink/red/white patches around the rear, tailhead, sometimes on the neck and they may be flakey. Ringworm is more hard, grainy, almost a grey-white color and very common around the eyes & face.

Side note: ringworm is a fungus and warts are a virus but treatment is the same: sunshine & time.