Something with Calf’s leg

Help Support CattleToday:

Springfieldsimm

Reaction score
Have this 2 month old bull calf that I just noticed walking funny today. When he walks straight it's hard to notice anything but if he turns his hindend is wobbly. I put him in the chute and palpated it and couldn't feel anything and it didn't seem hot. When he runs he just kinda hops with his back legs. He doesn't seem to have any pain either. I send this video to the vet and they didn't seem too concerned Thought?

Maybe a pulled muscle or tendon or a nerve issue? He may walk out of it in a few days, or not. Just one of them things. Almost seems like maybe he tweaked his stifle a little.

Nice looking calf. If he continues to be gimpy it would be hard to see among a group of similar calves going through an auction ring.

It looks like he's carrying his left hip lower but the hitch is in his right leg. I'd bet on him being fine in a few weeks.

Video doesn't show much the mud masks things a bit but from your description I suspect a spinal lesion. They walk in straight line OK but the change in direction the back legs still go in straight line just don't follow the front. The video does show a bit of an exagerrated gait. In placing their leg instead of going from A to B directly they go via C, lacking fine motor control usually from some pressure on the spinal cord. This is like what you see in Dachshunds when they have a partial prolapse of the disc.
It may only be bruising and things improve as the swelling goes down but also could be more permanent damage. Not much you can do other than rest and keeping him away from others but I don't think confining him in those muddy conditions would help. Corticosteroids are always usefull in spinal conditions in helping to relieve the inflammation, Dexamethasone is only a short duration and would have to be given daily, there are other longer acting steroids like Triamcinalone Forte which is a good one for spinal lesions and will last 5-7 days.

Ken

Thanks for your input. Believe it or not but there is concrete under that manure. I did scrape the barn tonight so it is better now. I think I will just keep an eye on him and see if it gets better or worse.

Thanks for your input. Believe it or not but there is concrete under that manure. I did scrape the barn tonight so it is better now. I think I will just keep an eye on him and see if it gets better or worse.
Would concrete be better or worse? (I'm thinking hard, slick when wet). Is there a grassy pen you could use?

Watched a pretty nice solid red shorthorn pair sell yesterday. Calf was walking similar to that. Her whole rear end wobbled. Lil calf was as wide as she was tall. Very stocky calf!

I went out in the pens after the sale.
Her right rear leg had a pretty good sized gash in it. And her right rear foot/hoof was all twisted and deformed. Some sort of previous injury. Never could've seen it in the sale ring. Sure glad I didn't bid.

Latest posts