letting cattle do the fertilizing ???

Help Support CattleToday:

What we have done the past two years was put the cattle herd in a "sacrifice" lot sometime starting in September and feed hay all fall till after the first killing frost or two. Then we start rotating on stockpiled fescue for all/most of winter into early spring. Took the hubbs just one year to convert him to do it this way till it no longer works. I am grateful for someone in my life that is open to my suggestions and willing to give it a try!!!

The way I see it, we will be feeding hay regardless due to our maintained herd size so I would rather feed when I don't have to have 3/4 clothes layers on and still have a frozen face.

Kids (twin 6 year olds) can (more safely) either go with or at least not die of exposure if left playing in the creek while we feed hay. And if they have good experiences with the farm as kids my hope is at least one would be willing to continue the lifestyle as we age. (we are in our 40's so not exactly retirement age yet, just thinking ahead). In the winter they are finally old enough that I wouldn't worry about leaving them in the car while either their dad or I took less than 10 minutes to roll up a wire or on nicer days, they could go with.

All the fields but the sacrificed lot get to keep growing for maxim stockpiling every day it can during the fall. After rotation starts again the sacrificed lot is left alone till late spring so all the seeds dropped in the hay germinate (most start growing that fall as we do get warmer temps even into December) and get a good root system established.

The fields that the cattle rotate on have never become a quagmire. Might get some mud around the water troughs, but noting much to worry about.

Any calves born during this time are on fairly fresh pasture with grass under them.

We don't have a barn to put our round bales in so by the end of winter the bottom of those bales were looking pretty sorry depending on the amount of rain/snow we'd get. And testing has shown that stockpile quality remains long into the year at a better rate than exposed rounds (we have net wrapped so it didn't drop as much as string tied if I remember right).

We set up poly wire on the more pleasant days if at all possible (in southern Missouri, that's often enough for me) and roll them up every two or three days. Since the grass is not actively growing, no back fence is required.
On days that everything is frozen, a bale or two is rolled out. (more often than not by the husband. LOL)
If it was to snow a lot and stick or frozen rain, we would also feed hay but that has yet to happen the past couple years since we've been doing this.
I will say after this year, I am contemplating on rolling out a bale every 3 days or so as the protein levels have given them loose(er) stools. Other than that, this has been a win on how we feed.

What we have done the past two years was put the cattle herd in a "sacrifice" lot sometime starting in September and feed hay all fall till after the first killing frost or two. Then we start rotating on stockpiled fescue for all/most of winter into early spring. Took the hubbs just one year to convert him to do it this way till it no longer works. I am grateful for someone in my life that is open to my suggestions and willing to give it a try!!!

We don't have a barn to put our round bales in so by the end of winter the bottom of those bales were looking pretty sorry depending on the amount of rain/snow we'd get.
Perfect.......... I put my bales on posts, ala Greg Judy. Appears to be the answer to the "Soggy Bottom Boys" bales (and up here, frozen netwrap in that sorry bottom!). The lack of snow and "poor mans concrete" can be a feeding challenge where you are vs. typical Minnesnowta........ -30 wind chills again tonight. Sounds like you've got the recipe dialed in.

We feed big squares with the manure spreader. It seems to work really well, a lot better than feeding off a wagon when it is below zero, and the wind is getting it on. I move over each time.

View attachment 11877

View attachment 11878
Yeah... thought of that often too, and if I was still using big squares, this is what I'd do too. Unrolling rounds is faster/easier though, per amount of hay unloaded.............. and you "can" get away without the inside storage then.

I Feed in rings move my rings with every bale once I have a good amount of crap in a area I'm breaking out the old gate and cross tie to drag across it to help bust up the piles and spread the wealth out I'm hoping it pays off I'll see come spring anything to save on buying more fertilizer I'm gonna try it

Attachments

• 430D56EB-56D7-4620-9239-ECDC4629C96C.jpeg
    430D56EB-56D7-4620-9239-ECDC4629C96C.jpeg
    586.1 KB · Views: 17
  • E793C390-E02A-47DD-B54E-F77C29FE473D.jpeg
    E793C390-E02A-47DD-B54E-F77C29FE473D.jpeg
    644.1 KB · Views: 17
  • E1983A33-D778-42CD-B3BE-6D94F20FC47E.jpeg
    E1983A33-D778-42CD-B3BE-6D94F20FC47E.jpeg
    583.2 KB · Views: 17
I Feed in rings move my rings with every bale once I have a good amount of crap in a area I'm breaking out the old gate and cross tie to drag across it to help bust up the piles and spread the wealth out I'm hoping it pays off I'll see come spring anything to save on buying more fertilizer I'm gonna try it
I do the same thing. Last winter I had a spot that wouldn't grow anything due to me moving some dirt to level up an area several years ago, I fed hay as you describe and it had a great stand of crabgrass and pretty good bermuda this past summer. I don't have enough cattle to be able to unroll.

We both unroll, and feed in rings. Trying to cut down on fuel cost back and forth, so we typically unroll a bale after they get hungry, and load a ring or 2, we usually move the rings pretty often. We'll use a tire drag on nice days when the schedule is light.

As someone else said, it depends on your situation.
People around here do both. I feed a very few in rings. Most are unrolled. I bought an unroller in 1990 when we went to a larger baler and couldn't push them out by hand. It's still going after unrolling thousands of bales.I have had to have it repaired a few times, some for my own doing. Only thing that gives me problems are 4' width bales I've tried to unroll. It was designed for my 5' bales.
One of the things I've learned is to carry a bale up front tight to the frame and rehook before you unroll. Saves stress on the corners. I've had to have mine rebuilt

Since I started unrolling 5-7? Years ago the areas I feed on have the best grass all summer. And during last summers drought those areas had the only green grass on the farm.

Scraping, piling, loading, hauling, and spreading manure burns way more fuel and time than it takes me to feed the cows everyday.

I've had similar results. Just be sure to move locations often enough because too much manure is damaging.

And the savings in labor/manure management is nice too.

Feeding any kind of seeded hay enriches the cover as well. A multi-purpose benefit.

when it's cold out they're hungry, eat about 11 bales right now for about 20 head
there's few 4 wheelers out there that work harder than mine, I do have a blade for it to plow snow, and it'll push a fair bit

5 bales on the quad, 6 on the trailer
View attachment 11783
I just now saw this. Have you ever considered rigging a cutter (sled) that would hold more bales and leave the 4-wheeler
unencumbered ? Might need wheel weights. Also does drifting become an issue up there?

just wandering if winter feeding cattle on the pasture fields by constantly moving the bale feeders around in the pasture is good or bad , or just feed in one area and scatter with manure spreader ?
Depends on weather and soil type and labor cost. There is a time for unrolling and bale grazing and sacrifice lots.

Daily unrolling is getting more popular, but most have not put a number on the labor and tractor cost involved. For bale grazing - - I usually have the hay delivered to the field and spot the bales at that time.

We have had enough snow and wind that unrolling is not practical lately. I check cattle with a snowmobile. Bale feeding still works in this kind of weather.

I just now saw this. Have you ever considered rigging a cutter (sled) that would hold more bales and leave the 4-wheeler
unencumbered ? Might need wheel weights. Also does drifting become an issue up there?
it's pretty rare we have a lot of snow for long, this year was an exception.. Right now I'm using just the quad and making 2 trips with 5 bales, works pretty good.. we usually don't get much for snow drifts, nothing like on the flatlands for sure

We have had enough snow and wind that unrolling is not practical lately. I check cattle with a snowmobile. Bale feeding still works in this kind of weather.

Why is it not practical? I would guess we have 5x as much snow as you and I unroll everyday. Theres roughly 45" of settled snow on the ground here and we have had almost 200" this season with no warm ups or thawing.

I can put an exact figure on what I spend feeding daily and also what I used to spend dealing with bale rings and manure, and unrolling wins by a large margin.

Bale grazing doesn't work here unless your dedicated because bales left in the field get snowed over top of and you can't even see them. Then you need to be setting up temp fence on snowshoes with your temp posts stuck into the snow or the top of the bales. Then the cows need to wade through the snow and eat the bale down into a hole. Guys have had cows get stuck in the hole left by an eaten bale UP here.

Last edited:
Why is it not practical? I would guess we have 5x as much snow as you and I unroll everyday. Theres roughly 45" of settled snow on the ground here and we have had almost 200" this season with no warm ups or thawing.

I can put an exact figure on what I spend feeding daily and also what I used to spend dealing with bale rings and manure, and unrolling wins by a large margin.

Bale grazing doesn't work here unless your dedicated because bales left in the field get snowed over top of and you can't even see them. Then you need to be setting up temp fence on snowshoes with your temp posts stuck into the snow or the top of the bales. Then the cows need to wade through the snow and eat the bale down into a hole. Guys have had cows get stuck in the hole left by an eaten bale UP here.

Always enjoy reading about how you do stuff UP there.

Drive the same trail out to where I feed everyday and then unroll with 2 tires on your tire tracks from the day before (basically moving over one tractor width everyday). 200hp MFWD tractor with big tires and deep tread. Leave the bucket on the loader to push yourself backwards if you get stuck.

Noticed a "transplant" farmer hired a guy with a D6 cat to bulldoze the heck out of a field to all the bales so he can collect them all up. Dozer couldn't see all the bales so some are exploded in the snowbanks. Haha

If you've been unrolling, you pretty quickly learn that the cattle will pack most of the snow down wherever the swaths are... and that includes off to the sides of the swaths too for a little ways... at least enough to be able to drive along where you'll want the next swath. If you put out several swaths with the right space between them, their "packing" will consistently be across the whole area. Then you're able to get across it alongside of the last swaths. If you kind of stagger where your swath ends going down the field so you've got one that goes out further than the rest, they'll pack a line forward for you at least to the end of the longest swath, which helps you to be able to get further with the next feeding's swaths.

That being said, you're still going to have to get out into areas where you didn't have any rolled out previously, so a FWA or 4WD is really helpful when it gets too deep. THAT being said though, you'd be surprised just how far you can get with a 2WD with chains on and a bale or two hanging on the back end.

Stocker Steve, I'm still feeding with just my Allis 185 with a set of chains on it, and it hasn't even been "challenged" yet this year. Without chains though, I'd have been left out there just about every day.

Latest posts