fertilizing a small pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

My understanding from Virginia Extension tests is that it gives the plant a very short term boost but really doesn't change the actual PH. They dont recommend it period.

With today's prices, it will cost $2300 to replete N and Phos (I don't have a tractor so I have to pay extra to have it spread.) I didn't even ask about lime yet, but I assume that will cost even more $.

look at what @M.Magis posted in this thread. Take note that they said AVAILABILITY io nutrients/fertilizer TO THE PLANT/GRASS. What happens is that when the pH of a soil is low. nutrients within the soil (they ARE there) start getting 'locked up' within the soil itself and the plant can no longer use them. Adding fertilizer in this case does absolutely no good at all. Adding lime to correct the pH can end up solving nutrient deficiencies without having to add any fertilizer at all. P (phosphorous) is more sensitive to pH than most other nutrients. If you are familiar with broomsedge, an abundance of it in the pasture is often because of low P availability. Broomsedge has low P requirements. It isn't really that competitive of a plant, but can grow where other plants/grasses are having a difficult time. When you sweeten the soil with lime, this makes phosphorous in the soil available. Doing this creates conditions where more desirable grasses can grow, and can easily now outcompete the relatively weak broomsedge.

After liming, you might find you don't even need to fertilize with P. As for the N, consider adding more legumes that will fix N and may end up being a permanent solution to a perpetual N deficiency problem that occurs every year.

From that study the liquid doesn't appear to be effective at all.
All lime sources are not created equal. Each individual source needs to be evaluated. This might help.

Latest posts